Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What Winter Riding Trousers
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

Fed up with getting home after a night ride and needing a shower only because my legs are covered in mud.

So what trousers would you recommend for riding in the wet. Not too bothered about how waterproof they are but they obviously need to be comfy and not too hot. I could do with them looking ok too so I can go into the pub post ride or sainsburys pre ride.

Oh and I don't 'do' Lycra. Read into that what you will you will probably be right.

tinsy
    Free Member

I had some Altura Altitude trousers, probably about what your looking for, but I didnt like them at all to ride in, too low at the back and wetted out bad in rain, I wear longs with shorts over the top, you look like a knob in the pub but it isnt a fashion contest and its by far the most comfy winter riding setup…

aP
    Free Member

These[/url] are nice

TN
    Free Member

I have some endura singletrack trousers. They are comfy and not too warm and moderately waterproof and I like riding in them if it's too cold/wet for shorts. They also look pretty good (in my opinion)
    Only problem is, they're not very long so if you're lanky and averse to half mast trouser, they might not be the ones for you.

woodsman
    Free Member

What trousers for the shorter legged gent? I have the Singletrack, they're ok s'pose, but not exactly warm when it gets proper cold!

?

I_Ache
    Free Member

The Singletrack trousers look ok but they are a bit steep at £60. Anybody tried Hummvee they look ok and are cheaper.

tinsy
    Free Member

Fox used to make some trousers called Huck pants.. they always looked nice.. never tried them though..

Dobbo

I've got 2 pairs of the Hummvee trousers and are great, I use them if I go out walking as well as riding. BIG pockets elasticy wasteband and belt. All in all very good.

Lucas
    Free Member

Dobbo – How long are the Hummvee's? Most trousers are too short for me at the best of times, gets worse when you sit on a bike!

Dobbo

I'm 5'10" and went for the small I've got a 30-32 waist and the length is spot on for me, I can measure them if it helps and you are a similar size! I nearly went medium but glad I didn't.

Lucas
    Free Member

I'm 6'3" with a 36inch leg and 34 waist, which usually means you have to XL for length and then have a 40 inch waist to try and reign in. I wish they dit them like jeans in waist and leg length rather than s.m.l.xl

Lucas
    Free Member

Just found that the inside leg measurements are on wiggle – I'd need a xl or xxl. Might get some to try and see – why do they assume that all tall people are fat and shorter people skinny?

Dobbo

The waist being elasticated may help, mine are dead comfy. 8)

I_Ache
    Free Member

Just a thought. Does anybody use those ex army goretex trousers that are on ebay? I remember a thread about them a while back and people cutting them down as shorts. Wonder if they are too baggy/heavy for riding trousers.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Quick update.

I got myself some army goretex trousers for £10 and they are great so far I've been totally dry and havn't even overheated in them. They keep my legs at a nice temperature so my feet are warmer too. as they are pretty baggy I wouldn't recommend them for use without some kind of trouser guard in place or trouser clips. Luckily my bash works well at stopping them getting torn.

Best of all At the end of a muddy ride all I have to do is take off my trousers and coat and get in the car. No messing around changing shorts or putting a liner on the seat its great.

AdamML
    Free Member

Lucas – Although massively expensive, the Rapha trousers are in 34" leg in all sizes. I can sympathise with you, Im 28Wx34L (or racing snake…) and find it nigh on impossible to buy jeans that fit properly, let alone riding trousers. I bought some Royal Plus44s in the Spring, supposed to be 3/4s and they barely go past my knees…

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I was interested to hear how the Army Surplus Goretext size up? They are designed to be worn as overtrousers so does that mean they tend to be baggy and big round the waist?
    I am a 34" waist and was planning on wearing them over the top of lycra longs, the closest size I seem to be able to find is 88cm, which is closer to 35" are they going to be too baggy?
    Also saw some German Army Goretex trousers, they were a bit more expensive but were a bib style, so though that might keep them from riding down and also keep your kidneys dry/warm, anyone used them?
    Had planned to cut them down to shorts, what length should they be, I was thinking of making them 3/4s?

I_Ache
    Free Member

The 88s should be fine for you they are plenty big enough. Bib ones could be good.

robgarrioch

@ thesurfbus;

I'm 6', 30" waist, 34" leg – the army GTex troos in L were good for length (though I had them shortened to 3/4 + narrowed in the leg to avoid snagging) but are indeed huge in waist girth / depth – kinda wish I'd got a size 'M' instead. End up rolling the waist band over 2 or 3 times to lift the crotch up a bit ( 😳 ). Work v well so far, tough material.

timc
    Free Member

AdamML… Try Nudie Jeans, no cheap though!

goslow

I have Humvee trousers and like them when it's dry. They get really soggy and horrible when it's wet.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I have bib german army gtx trousers = absolutely brill – cheap at 25 quid brand new – AND they work and seem bombproof – no need to buy bike specific ones at 60 -100 quid -cut them down at they are superb – a bit baggy but nev mind !

paul

AdamML
    Free Member

@timc – Cheers. I'll check 'em out

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

My mate wears full length bib. He looks like max wall.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

altura winter cruisers or ron hill bikesters?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What Winter Riding Trousers’ is closed to new replies.