Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What winter gloves are we using?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

I’m looking for a set of warmer gloves for off road and on. Nothing too arctic and bulky. What are people using for around £2-30?

cardo

Sealskinz and they’re waterproof too.

binners

Same as cardo. Loves ’em, I do! Toasty dry hands 😀

househusband

Ten year old 661 winter gloves, with the failed inners removed, and cheap silk liner gloves from eBay.

onandon
    Free Member

Try here a thread from the weekend on this exact subject.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Aldi ones, only cost about a fiver, warm and waterproof. Chuck them away after a season if you wish, cheap enough to!

Rosss
    Free Member

No idea how I missed that thread, cheers for the link.

Think I’ll take a punt on the Gallibers. They seem pretty well reccomended

P-Jay
    Free Member

100% Brisker – they’re sort of water proof, let’s say water resistant. All the padding is on top meaning great feel and no bulky feeling – but they’re my first pair of winter gloves ever so we’re always going to be good compared to riding with soaking ‘summer’ gloves in Dec.

For road stuff they’re probably not enough, higher speeds in the wind, less blowing out of ones arse, I’d want something thicker.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sealskinz Ultra Grip – Good down to about zero, waterproof, breathable and good bar feel (not too thick).

Not as enduro-specific as the Brisker though.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I tried the Briskers and had nub fingers one the first ride! I do have poor circulation I think and always seem to feel the cold in my fingers and toes. I have some Specialized defroster mittens which have a separate index finger and are great when it’s really cold. Down to zero I am now using these which have a fold away mitten cover that i can fit over three fingers for MTBing, two fingers for road riding and no fingers when it’s not so cold.

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/gore-bikewear-fusion-so-gloves-N2314117.3651.html

devash
    Free Member

The winter gloves I picked up in Aldi for 4.99 this season have blown away each and every £30+ pair I have owned over the last few years. They seem well-made as well.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Cheapo fleece ones. Fine when wet. Sub zero I might ad a pair of cheap silk liners.

scotroutes

After a few suggestions on here for Neoprene gloves I bought a set of Polaris Lokis in their sale. As expected, they don’t keep you completely dry but they’ve been very effective in anything above 3-4C. I’m waiting for a drop in temperatures to see what they’re like below that.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

That was my thread that is linked to, I took heed of the stw advice and have some galibier on order and I’ll post a brief report, good or bad, when they come. I suffer from really cold fingers so am very fussy and have not found a decent glove yet.

Yesterday though, it was really cold for here, frost all day, I experimented by wearing my 1.5mm wetsuit gloves and was very warm in them. Not ideal, I didn’t like the feel on the bars and my hands were sweaty, but better than any winter glove I have worn yet.

jobro
    Free Member

I bought some Sealskinz ultra grips on manic Friday for £22.
    Used them for three rides in 0 – 8 degrees. Hands felt warm and dry, and surprising where dry to the touch at the end of two hours.Bar feel was, as mentioned above, first rate. They don’t have any additional padding in the base of the palm like Specialized BG does if that could be a problem.
    For me, they could be a bit too warm over 5 degrees but otherwise an excellent purchase.

monkeyboyjc

Galibier’s for me. Much better at regulating temperature than the sealskin ultra grips (now use those for walking the dog). I also use some endura night vision gloves, but only on the coldest sub zero days as they are a bit bulkier than the Galibier’s.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Down to 2 or 3 deg – 100% Brisker
    Below that, or going up mountains – Glacier perfect curve

benp1

I get cold hands really easily. My 100% Brisker gloves are nice but only inside pogies at this time of year, otherwise my hands get freezing

On my road bike I’m on Aldi winter gloves, I have multiple pairs. Lobster ones if it’s Baltic, though I lost a pair recently and I’m gutted about that

Klunk
    Free Member

anything below around 2 (so they don’t get used much these days), some cannodale le carbon jobbies i bought in about 2006, very good even down to -10 but still quite “dexterous”.

kayak23

Those Briskers ain’t so good wet huh….
    Brrr…

scotroutes

Below freezing? Pogies

sofaboy73
    Free Member

some altura neoprene jobbies – £25

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/altura_thermostretch_2_neoprene_glove_2017-ID_70881?gclid=CN2Av4i-qNECFUI6GwodXB0JGg&gclsrc=aw.ds

not water proof and make your hands a bit sweaty (but work like a wetsuit), but completely windproof and your hands never get cold (so far tested them to -2 degrees). if you take them off mid ride they don’t half feel icey inside quickly though, but only takes a minute of riding to get warmed up again. best gloves I’ve used and not suffered form any numb / dead feeling digits as yet

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Those Briskers ain’t so good wet huh….
    Brrr…

Aye, true enough..

Found this out on Monday.. 😐

orinoco83
    Free Member

Endura nemo’s here.

Squirrel

Got a pair of the Gallibiers a couple of months ago. Good down to about 0C, need liners below that. Only small issue is the gap at the side where the cuff closes: OK with liners or a base layer with thumb holes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What winter gloves are we using?’ is closed to new replies.