Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What winter gloves actually work?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Got some (red) Sealskinz waterproof gloves I’ve had for about 6 years.
    Wore them yesterday on Borrowdale Bash – after first climb I took my gloves off and the insides were soaking even though it wasn’t raining…and when washing them earlier water poured out through the thumb stitching meaning the membrane’s not working too presumably. They’re still in mint condition cosmetically but no longer for fit purpose…sound reasonable or salvagable?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Spesh sub zero

butcher

You could try waterproofing the Sealkinz with NikWax or similar. If they’ve been through the wash a few times (and I’m guessing they have over 6 years…) they’re unlikely to repel water any longer.

I’m not sure the perfect glove exists. I’m definitely still looking. So if you’ve been happy with the Sealskinz, I’d give that a go.

As for climbing, just take them off. Put them back on when you get to the top. Or buy something cooler. It was pretty warm yesterday, to be fair.

cp

unless you have several pairs of gloves to perfectly suit the conditions you are always going to be a bit sweaty/a bit cold i.e. it will always be a compromise.

Spud

I’ve some Rapha winter gloves, three versions back and they’re brilliant. Never had cold hands even when it’s been wet.

survivor

Today I tried a pair of those thin latex workshop gloves under my normal summer bike gloves. Worked surprisingly well. Hands warmer than usually but not sweaty, no feeling of soggy gloves and I then left them on to get changed and pack the bike up without getting my hands dirty.

I’m a genius!

fudge9202
    Free Member

I bought Scott Mind gloves following the recent thread on here. Really rate them

trademark
    Free Member

Style guru’s don’t click this link, but these have been great for me this winter £6 from Screwfix

Worn next to skin, warm and dry.
    Got fed up of m£ga buck$ gloves not working.

allfankledup

@trademark – my dad lent me a set of builder orange gloves last winter when I forgot my cycling gloves – worked really well, and about £1.50 per pair…

13thfloormonk

Altura Night Vision gloves have been my staple for a few years now, even wear them for winter munro bagging. They were £30 when I bought them so a bit of a bargain. compared to some gloves.

Basically a waterproof outer glove with some insulation, and a thinner microfleece inner glove. If it’s not crazy cold I’ll often wear my road mitts under the outer layer instead.

I think proper winter mountaineers swear by layering etc. as well, a microfleece liner glove with a weatherproof outer seems the best bet.

Northwind

Perfect Curves for actual winter- warm as hell, 100% waterproof. But completely unbreathable so wearing them on warmer days is grim.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Altura do neoprene gloves (forget their name) which aren’t proper waterproof but which hold heat well, even when damp. They breathe better than a fully waterproof glove and don’t get too cold in the rain.

johnnystorm

Glacier Perfect curves, but yes, only when it’s properly grim. Terrible for commuting and regular repeated use.

The skytech argons are great for the money, not sure about use in the wet though. Also from Screwfix are some Stanley waterproof thermal and cutproof gloves that are 20 quid, still a bit too warm for them though.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I like Defeet Dura gloves for all but the coldest/wettest days but then I run pretty warm. They even keep my hands warm when they get wet. I’ve not used my Sealskinz yet this winter. I might get some of those Altura ones for the waterproof shell to wear over the top of the Duras.

Trekster

Been buying/using ski gloves from TKmaxx or Aldi/Lidl gloves for a few winters now.
    Bought some 100% ones yesterday but still too warm to give much of a review.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I use Musto neoprene sailing gloves in the winter, not waterproof but keep your hands warm

dogthomson

+1 for the Aldi ones, outstanding for the money!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Spesh sub zero

Nice and warm as a glove ‘system’ and what I use when it’s really cold but not in the slightest bit waterproof.

There’s no one perfect glove but aldi ones are pretty close, warm and comfortable and keep light rain off, if it’s cold and really wet I use them with a pair of ‘tuffbag’ paclite kits on top.

If it’s wet and not that cold then I use castelli neoprene gloves, I was wearing them last Wednesday when I was riding to work during ‘storm frank’ so 80 minutes in torrential rain, hands were comfortable. However they absolutely stink after wearing for a couple of rides.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Got given some Rapha ones for Christmas.
    Lovely bit of kit. Toasty warm.
    My only gripe is they’re a bit difficult to get on, the cuff is quite tight around the wrist.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Which Rapha gloves? They have some in the sale I quite fancy.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I have the 100% Brisker gloves and they have been great over this mild southern winter.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What winter gloves actually work?’ is closed to new replies.