Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What winter / adventure / on / off road 40 c ish tyre?
  • charliemort

Currently running 2.25 Racing Ralphs on a Fargo, but looking for something easier rolling on tarmac to use more on road through winter, but still able to disappear into the undergrowth if the mood takes me

Ideally able to run tubeless

Couple of Clements have caught my eye – 35mm X’Plor USH and 40mm X’Plor MSO

any recommendations? what’s the MSO like on road?

kiwijohn

I’m running Schwalbe Smart Sams in a 35 on my Singular kite. Tubeless as well. Fast enough to startle roadies on a downhill, but solid enough for single track.

ceepers

clement mso 40c. somafunk has some good experiences of them on the tripster thread. i have 32c versions on my cx bike and they have been great for road and track, theyre a little slippy in the mud but then anything that grips mud will be painfully slow on road. on gravel/sand/hard dirt track they fly along with good grip

13thfloormonk

I’m really enjoying my 40c WTB Nanos so far, I got them to be as off-road as possible in a relatively skinny tyre, although I forget why I didn’t consider Knards or the Conti Cyclocross offerings, I think because I wanted paddles rather than knobbles.

Anyway, they don’t roll too bad on tarmac and feel pretty good off road, they’ve got me up a couple of slithery muddy slopes with a minimum of slipping. No idea about their tubelessness though.

cloudnine
    Free Member

15% off at Probikekit with FLASHPBK code for the 35mm X’Plor USH 120tpi and 4% TCB
    Pair of them will work out at about £65 after tcb..

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Using Specialized Trigger pro 38 c at the moment. They roll really well on tarmac and have just enough bite off road. Tubeless too with a tough carcass so little worry of pinch punctures or the usual glass that you encounter on paths.

1-shed
    Free Member

These look interesting http://www.velovitality.co.uk/collections/wheels-tyres-and-tubes/products/soma-cazadero-tyre-700c-x-42mm not tried them though. Currently using Kenda happy mediums 700 x 42 which roll well and have decent side lugs.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Smart sam rolls well- I was using 47c so a bit heavy but the 35 or 40 should be good
    Last ride I did I used small block 8 front, marathon racer rear. – don’t over estimate how knobbly you need on the rear a 35c slick is pretty good off road at 50 psi.
    I have some bonty cx0s to try- other than they look good I don’t have much to say…

Nipper99
    Free Member

Land Cruisers in 40c are a good compromise.

johnnystorm

Just switched my commuting Fargo over to OnOne Gravel Road 120tpi tyres. £15 each and even with relatively beefy tread a smoother, grippier ride than the Vittorias they’ve replaced. I’ll be buying more when they wear out.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Fitted 40c WTB Nanos last week to replace some 33c Maxxis Raze and I am very impressed with them.

Running tubeless on Stans Iron Cross they went on with thumbs and a track pump and some manual splaying out of the tyre, although they are a tighter fit than the Raze. However they went down 15psi during the first 3 hour ride and lost pressure overnight, but only lost 4psi and stayed up overnight after this weeks 3 hour ride, so probably sealed now.

Ride was over bridleways round Chobham/Sunningdale/Horsell and pretty muddy/wet and they handled the mud really well, much less sketchy than the Raze and also pretty fast rolling.

I also bought some 42c Conti Cycle-X but haven’t tried them yet, but the Nanos are so good I might just stick with them.

cloudnine
    Free Member

TG.. where did you get the nanos?? Are they the comp or race versions?

birdage

Been running the landcruisers which go well in most stuff but tried Cyclo X Kings in 42 at the weekend after recommendations on Tripster thread. Good grip and fairly light. Will keep them on for the Winter if they stay relatively puncture free.

jameso

No issues with Nano Races used tubeless on UST rims here. Great tyres, not a good tread for roots and more dry / loose or hardpack biased than wet + claggy but one of the best all-rounders I’ve used if road use is important. They do measure up as 40s unlike some other tyres I have.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

WTB Nano Race – from CRC :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wtb-nano-race-cyclo-cross-tyre-2014/rp-prod121980

The continentals were from Ribble, here

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/tyres-road-tri-track-folding-continental-cyclox-king-folding-tyre/conttyrf878

but I haven’t tried those yet.

I really thought that the WTBs did pretty well in the mud and loose stuff and I had a lot more confidence than with the 33c Maxxis Raze, and it was very muddy in places – enough to make you consider the bail-out options when you got stuck in the middle of a deep puddle with deep mud either side – I messed it up once this weekend and smacked my kneecap on the bars getting off quickly 🙁

cloudnine
    Free Member

Are the WTBs actually sold as a 29″ tyre rather than 700c?? The nano race are sold out on crc and not due in till march

charliemort

went with some clement x’plor mso 40 c – cheapo 60 tpi ones

pretty decent on road and not bad off, although did lead to a more cautious approach off road than 2.25 ralphs

went up easily enough tubeless (with a compressor) and seem to fit arch rims fine

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What winter / adventure / on / off road 40 c ish tyre?’ is closed to new replies.