Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What will I get stung with (Tax etc) if I buy from the states?
  • Vortexracing

I’m assuming vat at 20%

what is import tax % and are there usually any handling charges claimed by the couriers?

It’s a set of carbon bars BTW I’m after

bighendo
    Free Member

……..what bars are they

valleydaddy
    Free Member

well I got stung for 1 parcel this week the other came through without an issue so you’ve got to be lucky I think 😉

Vortexracing

EC70 carbon roadbars

seems to be a lottery then 🙄

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I paid £72 for my Monkeylite DH bars- UK price was £125 at the time.

Add 30% to total cost (item+ shipping) is a worst case scenario- still cheap, then buy them

Also read recently that stuff from Taiwan etc is more likely than US parcels to get through fee free.. how true that is I do not know!

mc
    Free Member

Prior to the VAT increase, I used to budget cost + 22% + handling fee.

That was for various things (mix of bike parts, model stuff, and machine parts), with import tax around 2-3%, then VAT on top.

andrewh
    Free Member

Down to luck.
    I’ve bought a few bits from outside Europe on the ebay,
    Bars from Hong Kong £90, UK price £300
    Pedals and rims also from Hong Kong, £300, UK £450.
    Rim from USA (not ebay) £150, not available in UK
    No tax etc on any of them but then bought a CK hub from USA $105, £23 in tax and handling fee, still cheap.

Ask the seller to mark as gift and/or of minimal value (less than £18) to avoid issues. But then you’re screwed if the courier looses it and you need to claim for it…

ChrisB
    Free Member

Take my advice on this one as I have bought loads of things from the States and know how to ework around import taxes:

The best way to avoid import tax is NOT to ask the seller to send as a Gift, but instead to get them to insure the package for a lower value. Say for instance the part you are buying is worth $150, ask them to insure it for $50 and it will still get through and you will still have a tracking number (depending on which method it is posted by), but you won’t get hit by any taxes.

Obviously this method requires trust in USPS, but I have never had one package lost. Just make sure the instructions to the seller are clear and concise and you’ll be fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What will I get stung with (Tax etc) if I buy from the states?’ is closed to new replies.