Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • What will happen to all of the Jags and Landrovers on that ship?
  • Harry_the_Spider

They’ve been dangling at 50° in a salt water environment for a week.

Are they all scrap now?

project
    Free Member

Lots of JCB,S and 14 Optare buses as well.

Looking at the angle possibly not to much water ingress, but quite a few body pannels damaged.

toppers3933
    Free Member

What ship?

northernmatt

They’ll sell the Jags to John Prescott for spares.

Speshpaul

If/when salvaged they will end up in the far east.

nuke

Thought i read that surprisingly a lot of them were chained down and hadn’t moved although the jcbs weren’t and have moved 😕

40mpg

Me, ciderinsport and theashnav have been scouring the beach on our fatbikes to see what the tide washes in.

Found nothing, but at last! A valid use for fatbikes!

gobuchul
    Free Member

They will most likely be scrapped if previous incidents are anything to go by.

The Cougar Ace was a similar case and the cargo of brand new Mazdas were scrapped as they worried about litigation if there were any issues in the future. Although that was the American market.

Full story here

DT78
    Free Member

Went and took a photo of the boat this morning,… Sadly I don’t think a new jag will be washed up at cal shot any time soon

slowoldman

It’ll buff out.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I can see the ship from my bedroom window (if I stand on tip toes) and they’ve moved it from the Brambles Bank to a holding mooring just off Osbourne Bay. It’s still on its side, same angle, and now bow onto wind so not a great deal of movement. When it sat on the bank it was stationary, now it’s in deeper water and floating.
    Reports down here suggest all the vehicles (JCB excepted) are chained down by 10 straps per car, 1/2ltr of fuel in each for embarking/disembarking and that’s it. All vehicles have those foam casings on (just like you see on the huge transporters) so they’re packed well and shouldn’t be damaged.
    If you go to Dock Gate 4’where all the vehicles are loaded you can see them all covered in foam bumpers/bonnet covers/wing covers and those discs covering the wheels.
    This suggests the vehicles, certainly the cars, will be fine. The busses and JCB’s and generators who knows, but they’re not loaded on the same floors as the cars.

It’s quite surreal, we went over to Calshot to take a peek and was surprised just how many other folks were there too, crowds of people, more than you get in the summer months. Now it’s moved its easier to see side on and still quite odd..

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I guess they were strapped down as they won’t want the handbrakes on for long periods to prevent them from seizing or binding on, but probably not strapped down well enough to hold them in position at the angle the boat is at.

For sure the insurance compnies will salvage what they can to minimise their payouts.

thomthumb
    Free Member

can you see it from anywhere east of the itchen?

I’m too scared of all those anti cycling lot to go to the forest 😥

bikebouy
    Free Member

You can see it from Meon Shore or Lee on Solent, it’s quite big 😆

Reason so many went over to Calshot was it was stuck on the far Southern end of the bank, closer to Cowes/Calshot/Lepe rather than the entrance to Southampton Water/Warsash…

PePPeR

In the Mazda case it was the worries of battery corrosion due to the angle the ship had been lying at that meant they ended up scrapping them all.

gobuchul
    Free Member

In the Mazda case it was the worries of battery corrosion due to the angle the ship had been lying at that meant they ended up scrapping them all.

Pepper – Where did you hear that?

DT78
    Free Member

I was down at cal shot around 11, definitely very busy. Kind of wish I’d brought the binoculars. Not something I usually stick in a jersey pocket though 🙂

PePPeR

By reading one of the reports on the Cougar Ace on t’internetz.

adrec
    Free Member

Does anyone know what happened to all them bmw motorbikes which were washed up in Cornwall a few years back? The urban legend said bmw said the beach combers could keep them as a demo of how well they were put together.

Northwind

Sounds like my perfect car- dented and comes pre-filled with water to save me the hassle.

globalti
    Free Member

The Cougar Ace article linked by gobuchu above is fascinating and explains everything. If the current case is the same, the capsise will have been caused by a mistake or technical problem in the transfer of ballast as the ship sailed.

The ferry that capsised at Clevelys was a big tourist attraction, there were traffic jams along the front for a long time. It was cut up in situ; I found some excellent pictures on the web.

Riverdance ferry capsize: http://www.liveblackpool.info/about/history/riverdance-shipwreck-.php

Some good pictures here: http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/cleveleys,riverdance/Interesting

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

They were reporting last week the list was caused by a failed pump that moves the ballast around. Wish I was there to see it – spend a lot of time in the IoW and was sat between Cowes and Gurnard during the summer watching really big stuff coming out of Southampton, taking a sharp turn to starboard and then an even sharper turn to port before going off down the Solent…

digga
    Free Member

All those motors will end up in one of those too-cheap-to-be-true car supermarkets and will be plaguing owners with mystery electrical faults and engine failures for years to come.

P-Jay
    Free Member

They’ll be scraped, even if some manage to emerge unscathed they’ll scrap them.

The simple truth is the actual cost of building a car is a relatively small proportion of it’s cost – JLR might have spent a billion developing the current Discovery, which a % of it part of the cost of each one, take off the shipping costs (I assume they’d not pay that now) local taxes, dealer margin etc and the act cost to stamp out another one is relatively small – couple that with the potential loss if one ends up on the road and someone is hurt in it – even if the cause isn’t related to the incident on the ship it would be hard to prove add in the potential loss in sales due to bad PR and it’s a no brainer – crush them and make some more.

Oh, and that’s forgetting for a moment that it’s likely an Insurance Co. somewhere is picking up the bill for this bit of a mess and technically they’ll belong to them.

DT78
    Free Member

If the ship is still there next weekend I’m planning on taking one of the ferries over to the IOW to get a closeup. I imagine you can get quite a decent view from the deck of the slow one.

willjones
    Free Member

DT78 – Ferry may not go that close as they come in from the NW to avoid the bank that the Hoegh Osaka hit, still prob a better view than from land. Beach in Osborne bay may be a good bet if you can get down there. BBC has it North of the Southern shipping lane: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-30768102 and no AIS since 5/1 so maybe worth working out how close to IoW it is – Lee on Solent may be better bet if it’s North of the deep water channel.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I’m off to register http://www.jagpursuit.com

pictonroad

Guy from Land Rover on the radio this morning said they plan to recover them, check they’re ok and deliver them to their customers. They’re all strapped by the wheels and shouldn’t have suffered any damage.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I doubt the view from the ferry is that great, if you go down to Lee-on-Solent you’ll get a better view Binoculars would help though.

Pierre

A friend used to work in something technical related to co-ordinating and tracking the movements of those huge ships. She says it’s likely that the cars will be mostly un-damaged, although that battery-related angle thing may be a problem if the batteries aren’t well sealed. Despite their enormous size, ships can roll around a fair amount on the high seas so everything gets well strapped down and protected. It’s only in the case of irregular equipment like the JCBs that there’s less of a standard way of strapping them down.

The ship may have been at an unusual angle for a while but it’s unlikely much has moved around inside. Plus, there’s no reason so far to think it’s not still watertight, so everything should still be nice and dry inside.

cookeaa

We were talking about this at work the other day, apparently they’re all lashed down so they shouldn’t have clattered across the deck into one another, as long as no sea water has actually flooded in there and up to the vehicle it should be good, about as likely to knacker it as parking it up for a week in a coastal car park…

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I was on the IOW ferry as it all happened. Shame I didn’t bother looking out of the windows at any time on the trip as it was dark and only found out next day on the news.

ffej
    Free Member

For those that don’t live on the South Coast..

Took that from East end of Lee on Solent on Sunday..
    Quite a jaunty angle and we’re expecting high winds in the next few days so I hope the anchors are secure!

Jeff

hot_fiat

You can work out where she is from the AIS of the three tugs holding her on-station: Vortex, Ginger & Multratug.

willjones
    Free Member

You can work out where she is from the AIS of the three tugs holding her on-station: Vortex, Ginger & Multratug.

Didn’t even think of that! Thanks hf.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Google suggests there’s a Rolls Royce Wraith on there too.

hot_fiat

I’m not sure what the rules are on AIS, but it looks like when she grounds and becomes affixed to the sea bed, as apposed to just being a barge at the end of three bits of string, she then gets tagged as a Wreck and can be found with her IMO number 9185463 on marine traffic.

gobuchul
    Free Member

she then gets tagged as a Wreck and can be found with her IMO number 9185463 on marine traffic.

Maybe. However the generators have stopped and the last position is where they lost control off her the other day and she drifted across the channel before the tugs were on her.

As above to track search for the tugs on AIS. It isn’t going anywhere in a hurry.

CountZero

Thanks for the links to MarineTraffic, I’ve just bought the app, it’s fascinating looking at all the traffic around our coast.
    I spotted a trace well inland North of Chepstow, turns out its a sailing boat moored somewhere up the River Wye.
    It’ll be handy next time I go to the seaside, checking what vessels I can see.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘What will happen to all of the Jags and Landrovers on that ship?’ is closed to new replies.