Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • What wildlife did you see on your ride today?
  • masmas
    Free Member

Now i’m no Attenborough on two wheels but i like to see a bit of wildlife on my rides!

Today i saw a wood pecker and two squirrels! Nice.

77ric
    Free Member

About a dozen grey squirrels, 2 pheasants, 3 jays, a couple of jackdaws, and countless blackbirds. There might have even been a crow/raven/rook.

77ric
    Free Member

Oh and a chav.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Pheasants, a dozen or more of the idiots.
    A rather fine buzzard having a nosh on a rabbit.

eskay

Loads of suicidal squirrels.

SiB
    Free Member

buzzard having a nosh on a rabbit

😯

christhetall
    Free Member

5 horses and at least 30 dogs.

Oh, and lots of sheep, but I daren’t count them unless I feel asleep

ahwiles
    Free Member

saw a Jay this morning.

crankboy
    Free Member

Saw a lesser spotted red faced taxi driver sat on double yellows in a bike lane he was really wild when my bar and hand hit his wing mirror as I had to swerve past him.

yunki
    Free Member

I saw peasants, a dozen or more idiots, and a buzzard getting a nosh off a rabbit

faustus

Kestrel on a pylon and a Muntjac deer last night. (almost sounds like a menu description though!)

jekkyl

see badgers all the time now: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/loads-of-badgers-this-year

love to see birds of prey. There’s a large bird of prey that hangs about a local bridleway where the tree’s come in over the top to meet each other, I’m always hopeful to see him when I go down there and it swoops along in front of me. There’s nearly always a heron on the river path. There’s an owl at the top of a path down to the canal that I see now and again. Rats! along the canal are plentiful. Bats, always see bats, less so this time of year. I’ve seen a few foxes but only rarely as I suspect they are very aware of their surroundings and scope you out long before you get there. Rabbits of course, so common nearly run one over many times as they run out of the way of your wheels. I see deer near my local woods as well.

I love to see wildlife when out on a ride and one of the many reasons I enjoy it so much. When I see a large bird of prey or a fox I think that’s makes the ride just a little bit more special. I’m glad my hobby isn’t gaming or watching X factor 😕

maxtorque

They have literally no shame those Buzzards!

Only the usual couple of squirrels throwing stuff at me from the trees on yesterdays ride.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Couple of horses in their field, as usual. Oh, and heard an owl, but didn’t see it. Rather a nice noise to start the day!

stumpytom
    Free Member

If you are out near Colchester you might be lucky enough to ride with wolves . . . . Wolf hunt

houndlegs
    Free Member

Cycling the canal towpath near the Glan Usk estate,by Crickhowell. Hundreds and hundreds of pheasants,must be coming up to shooting season. They seem to like to wait until the last minute and then take a chance and fly at you’re front wheel,nearly had me off a few times.
    Seen a few red kites as well recently,they seem to be getting more prolific round here lately,which I like.
    Always see lots of buzzards and squirrels.
    Saw a fox a while back,I always find those elusive little things,so its always nice to catch a glimpse of one.

MoreCashThanDash

Ended up driving after a puncture on the commuting bike this morning, but herons, squirrels, rabbits (including a black one) and various species of water fowl are my daily staple.

And alpacas, obviously. A change is as good as a rest for a Derbyshire lad….

puntopete
    Free Member

Lots of wildlife, but the real treat was about 10 buzzards in 1 field…

I usually ride at night, when its deer, bats and the occasional owl.

colournoise

Rode past a hovering kestrel last night, and then had a muntjac race me for about 50m along the verge of a country lane.

bigblackshed

Boar! Lots of boar. Thankfully no big males.

hebridean
    Free Member

Spotting a woodpecker whilst out on a ride is pretty cool OP. Didn’t see much today as the weather is pretty murky but in the past week we’ve seen a few red deer, lots of roe deer (mostly eyes reflecting our lights), barn owls, tawny owls thousands of geese and a couple of sea eagles.

We find being on a bike allows us to get much closer to lots of wildlife than we would on foot. Not sure if things like deer just can’t work out what they are looking at when we cycle towards them.

fivespot
    Free Member

I saw evidence of the lesser brained wrecscum chav at Llandegla today, but I didn’t actually see one in the flesh (it was morning), only the tell tale signs of Mars wrappers and empty pop bottles 😆

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Hares. 2 peacocks on the road (Sutton Courtenay). Fish rising on the river. Hedgehog looking very confused. Waaaaaay too many Red Kites and seagulls. And a fatass rat on the trading estate.
    Oooh! A couple of feral cats too.

baldman
    Free Member

Loads of squirrels, dogs, flock of sheep, a magpie and some lama’s 😀

Saw a rat the other day 😯

mrvear
    Free Member

The other night I saw 1 newt, loads of bats, 3 deer and a badger.

masmas
    Free Member

UPDATE: i saw a woodpecker, second one this year and a kingfisher on the canal. I’d love to see an otter but i think im pushing my luck!

sandwicheater

A badger in our local woods. Been riding in them for 6 years and was the first time i’ve seen one. Was really pleased.

Karinofnine

On my commute this morning: Tufted Ducks, Canada Geese, Mute Swans, a rat, lots of Mallards, some Coots and some Moorhens. Lovely, I love birds.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

tons of smelly deer as I go through the royal parks, usually smell them first especially with the freezing fog.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

stumpytom Colchester is my local loop went on anight ride the day after the wolves escaped news was saying that all shot dead or back in zoo but belive me made for a nervous ride.

normal see rabbits,deer,various birds of prey and a few doggers lol

ianfitz
    Free Member

Saw about 20 mountain hares last night when on an outing in the derwent edge area. Never seen so many at once.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i saw a Kingfisher down the cut last week

skindog
    Free Member

Last Saturday I saw an ass right in front of me. unfortunately it was my own and I ended up in a puddle. Actually that happens quite a lot.

RobinL

I saw two Tamworth pigs loose on the bridleway behind the Orange Factory on Sunday morning !

I told a local farmer who didn’t know who’s they were but he said he’d ask around and thanked me anyway 🙂

krixmeister

In the last couple of months: scorpions, monitor lizards, pythons, malayan coral snakes, and the odd pangolin. The joys of mountain biking in Singapore jungle!

dashed
    Free Member

bigblackshed – Member
    Boar! Lots of boar. Thankfully no big males.

It’s the sows with young in tow you need to watch out for 😉

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I feel a bit pathetic posting this but yesterday saw a couple of tiny shrews on my ride home.

big_scot_nanny

Doing only rides in the dark at the moment, and judging by my fear levels and the green eyes peering back at me from the undergrowth, it a combo of the Gruffalo, and those flesh eater things from Cloverfield.

Run Away!! 😀

highlandman
    Free Member

I feel guilt… hit a grouse on the bike on the Tuesday night ride home over the hill. Thought it was a funny looking rock on the trail but then its eyes looked up into the beam of the headtorch, an instant before my front tyre bore down on it…
    But there is a happy ending. Having bounced off the right fork leg and then my right foot, it clattered off noisily into the darkness.

Saw a female harrier and a buzzard having an argument last week. didn’t get a clear enough view to be certain but hen harrier is the most likely.

We have beaver dams and chewed logs on some of the riverside trails here in the east, but not yet seen one. should just be a matter of time.

badlydrawnbiker
    Free Member

I saw loads of reflected eyes staring at me from the undergrowth at Swinley last night, I’ve no idea what they were – I tried not to think about it – gulp!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘What wildlife did you see on your ride today?’ is closed to new replies.