Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What width tyres for load carrying on a commuter?
  • brooess
    Free Member

I’m new to carrying a load with panniers and whilst I’m getting used to carrying the extra weight on the bike, the back end still feels a little squirmy.

I guess this is just something I have to get used to – there’s a 2kg lock on the rear rack + a pannier carrying c 2-3k of kit on the left hand side which is very different from riding unloaded.

I’m running 700x23c Rubino tyres on Campagnolo Vento rims and wondering if running fatter tyres would increase the grip and reduce the uncertainty I’m feeling at the back – would 25 or 28c tyres help?
    I can’t find any info on the Campagnolo site re max tyre width for the rims…

Thoughts appreciated…

simondbarnes

Happily running 23c tyres on my Sabbath carrying similar loads. Have you got plenty of pressure in the tyre? You’ve got more weight out back so may need to up the pressure a bit…

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Not sure if your rims will take them , but on the touring bike- bike made for carrying panniers etc – I run 700 x 32

This might not be an issue – but have you looked to see if he height of your rack/panniers can be lowered ? If it’s too high the back will feel unbalanced.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To be honest there’s a good chance it’s your back wheel you can feel flexing and tyre choice won’t make a jot of difference.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its not the size of tire thats for sure.

ive done full on tours on 23c with no ill effect.

also do daily with 25s

inflate more.

could also be your frame flexing like a banana.

simon1975

Do you have to carry that lock? Consider getting a second one if you need to!

brooess
    Free Member

The wheel only has 27 spokes so I guess maybe more appropriate wheels are in order… they do look a bit too ‘sporty’! I’ve only been riding it 4 weeks and less than 100 miles/week and it’s already got a small wobble in it.

It’s a Tifosi CK7, an ally frame which is supposed to be ok for light touring and the back end seems pretty stiff tbh.

The lock does weigh a ton but it’s effective and part of the requirement for my insurance so a necessary evil…

As it’s my commuter, left in the street in Central London I don’t want to over-upgrade on the wheels, but any recommendations on something more appropriate? The hub will need to take a Campag cassette…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What width tyres for load carrying on a commuter?’ is closed to new replies.