Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What width rim tape for setting up DT XM481's tubeless
  • fenboy

As title setting up new wheels using xm481’s I’m going to use stans tape but should I buy 25mm tape or 27mm tape??? Or do i need to go wider as the internal width is 30mm?

davewalsh
    Free Member

I’d always go slightly wider to ensure that you don’t lift the edge when removing tyres. Industry Nine torch tape would be my recommendation in 32mm width.

BearBack
    Free Member

I didnt have the right rim tape tobhand when setting up my 481s. Was probably dt tape from a xm1501 (22.5 inner). Anyway, its that narrow that the tire probably doesnt touch the tape when the bead is seated and is effectively only serving to keep the air from going into the spoke holes. I didnt think it would be reliable, but its been just fine. Cleaned the rim with alcohol first then applied the tape with heat. It is ‘well stuck’

welshfarmer

^^^ as above. Just ran some narrow tape around to cover the spoke holes. As long as you are running sealant then no probs. Mine have stayed up for past 6 months

benpinnick

32mm is perfect for 30mm DT rims.

sillyoldman

DT do a 32mm tape which they recommend for 30mm rims.

wrecker
    Free Member

I ordered some 32mm from my LBS as I can’t find it in stock anywhere. The DT tape is really good, far nicer to use than stans which can be a bit brittle. My rims came with gorilla tape and have never held pressure. Crap.
    It’s not in stock with the distributor for a couple of weeks though so a bit of a wait.

benpinnick

This is an XM481 with 32mm tape applied.

benpinnick

If using DT tape its quite stiff and can lift at the end as it kind of flattens out after a while. DT use the serial number sticker to hold it down, I would recommend you do the same with maybe a small strip of gaffer tape just on the end of the tape to prevent it lifting.

wrecker
    Free Member

? It’s stickier than stans. No heat gun required.

benpinnick

DT tape is good, but we sell probably approaching 1000 DT factory wheels a year, all of which are taped using DT tape, and the 1 issue we sometimes see is the end lifting and sealant getting under it. Sometimes the tape is already lifting out of the box and we have to stick it back down again. Not a major issue as its a small %age, but for the sake of 2 seconds of your time I think its worth adding a little tape over the join.

wrecker
    Free Member

Fair enough!

fenboy

Thanks for all the replies! I’ll see if I can get the dt 32mm stuff!

Northwind

With wider rims I’ve started just taping the holes, essentially- 19mm tesa tape sits nicely in the rim bed of my crabonz. The advantage here is- you know how every so often, you push a tyre off the bead and it takes the tape with it? Happens more if the tape isn’t quite as wide as the tyre (so the stretched bead drags across the edge of the tyre, bad juju) but can still happen with full width just from pressure. Anyway, if the rim bed is wide enough, you can tape off the holes and have it so that the tyre never contacts the tape at all- it slides over the metal/carbon then goes slack.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What width rim tape for setting up DT XM481's tubeless’ is closed to new replies.