Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What width bars?
  • leythervegas
    Free Member

Looking at some new bars for my carbon 456. Seen a great deal on some but they are only 660 width. I really wanted 680 but I keep reading the wider the better. Is this just the latest fashion or would I really miss the extra balance? I’m 6feet 2 and only ride xc mostly.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I use a happy medium width at 700mm wouldnt want too wide.

andyl
    Free Member

move your grips in and out and try the bike and see what it feels like.

If you move them out off the end of the bars then obviously just ride around the garden!

letmetalktomark

After running V1 Flat 762mm bars everything else seems too narrow 😳

I’m 6′ 3” and jumped on the wide bar bandwagon. I’m happy with it as it allows me to run a shorter stem.

I went from 90mm stem and 685mm EA70 bars to a 70mm stem and 762mm bar.

Bit extreme but it seems to work.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Can’t try them as I’ve not bought them yet! Currently got 710 and they feel a fraction wide but just wanted to know what everyone else uses.

Think the reason they are so cheap is because they are a size noone wants!

andyl
    Free Member

move your grips in and out on your current bars!

I’m using 750 havocs with a 55mm stem on my C456. Was running 660mm with 70mm then 685 with 70mm. Much prefer it now but could probably lose 20mm off the bars as I don’t quite put my hand right on the edge of the grip but then my controls would be further in so in the wrong spot.

4ags4
    Free Member

Personally I struggle with anything over 700 as it just feels ungainly. Too wide and my shoulders feel it after too long.
    Usually have mine at 660 with 80mm stem and it feels comfortable.
    But i’m only 5’8″
    Even with short bar ends on longer rides!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnners
    Free Member

[/quote] I keep reading the wider the better. Is this just the latest fashion

Yes. Yes it is.

chipps

I’ve been running 710s for ages and they’re great. I’ve even tried 780s and then 800s and don’t really notice the width after five minutes. Try some bigger bars and you might like it. Obviously it depends how many trees you have there. 🙂

andymc06
    Free Member

Wider to a point can feel better, depending on what riding you are doing. I don’t think anyone is saying the wider the better. Otherwise we’d all be careering about with 850mm bars. I have 725mm Atlas bars with a 70mm stem for trail riding which works for me.

Trekster

I have some 710 bars and a bruised shoulder due to misjudging line through some boulders and trees 🙄 clear it easily on other bike with narrower bars but keep catching it on bike with wide ones.
    Swap between bikes regularly and don’t really notice the difference.
    Bike 1 is fs with 150mm forks, 80mm stem
    Bike 2 is steel ht with 70mm stem and old 680 bars

I am also of the opinion that there must be a formula to decide on shoulder width/arm length to arrive at the best compromise in bar length
    eg I. Am 6ft with a 42in chest but need to buy jackets to fit 44in to clear my shoulders ❗

spudnick
    Free Member

using 750 renthals with a 70mm stem on my blue pig. toying with the idea of going for a 50mm stem

Trekster

Original Pig spec advised 50mm stem. I had a 70 so fitted that. I think fitting wider bars may require shorter stem for some riders depending on frame fit

mattjg
    Free Member

Buy some cheap wide ones from classifieds and try them (with a shorter stem). Keep cutting them down until you go a cut too far – then you’ve got your ideal size and can buy some nice ones

If a set feel too wide from a fit POV, you need to shorten your stem. closer = wider

I’m a medium sized guy and have 750s on my SS, for standing and pulling on, and 725s on my geared HT.

I wouldn’t optimise bars based on the very occasional squeeze through trees – that’s a couple of seconds per ride.

honourablegeorge

johnners – Member

Yes. Yes it is.

Funny how you can have a preference for long or short top tubes, big or small wheels, long/short chainstays/seat tubes/seatposts/stems or any other size preference for a part of your bike, but if you find a wider bar comfortable, you’re a fashion victim.

To the OP – get a set of wide bars, try them out, move your grips in until you find the spot that suits you, and then cut.

You may well be surprised by how wide you like them.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

780mm Renthals with a 70mm Thomson.

Spotty dog IMHO.

ahwiles
    Free Member

my tiny 5foot girlfriend uses 660mm bars.

she’s never read a mountain bike magazine in her life, she’s asked for wider bars please.

at least try wide bars before ignoring them, you’ll be able to sell them on for someone else to try if you’re not convinced.

johnners
    Free Member

if you find a wider bar comfortable, you’re a fashion victim

Not at all. It’s just a bit strange that so many people suddenly seem to find them so comfortable simultaneously.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What width bars?’ is closed to new replies.