• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What wide, short & shallow bars for Cyclocross?
  • stick_man

I've got a Focus Mares CX and I'd like some proper wide and shallow bars. The ones I'm using are 46cm measured across the ends but feel quite narrow. Any suggestions based on…

31.8 clamp
    Not flared
    Not ergo
    Stiff

ps I've tried the Salsa Bell Laps and although they were wide, they also seemed massively deep and long.

Thanks.

finbar
    Free Member

Salsa short and shallow? I have a pair on my CX bike, they are ergo though.

Sam

Hard to get much wider than what you've got without going to something like the On-One midge. I like the Deda Newton shallow drop in a classic bend – don't go any wider than 46 though. You could possibly look at some Nitto Noodles in a 48, they're not that shallow though and only come in 26.0. I've been having thoughts of a cross specific 'maximum legal' bar which is shallow, classic bend, 50 aross the ends, 31.8, slight flare (say like Nitto Randonneurs), light as possible.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

hijack, I've some Pro PLT (I think) seems to fit what you're after 31.8 shallow drop short reach 46cm. too short for me, only used for a couple of rides. dc30 At fsmail.net if you want some more info on them.

john_l
    Free Member

2nd the Deda shallow drops – really nice.

rsmith
    Free Member

The Pro plts are very good. The shallow drops mean that you can reach the levers very easily. Highly reccomended.

jupiter
    Free Member

Now Sam that is the bar I would be after. I have thought about the Nitto bar, but if you were going to produce such a bar I certainly would be very interested. It is a wonder that no one has done a max width legal drop bar.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Salsa Bell Lap Moto Ace – 46cm. Short and shallow with a little flare for out the saddle honking.

Midge bars are great but only in the drops, riding the hoods / tops is not as nice as the Salsa.

SSP

Sam

Now Sam that is the bar I would be after. I have thought about the Nitto bar, but if you were going to produce such a bar I certainly would be very interested. It is a wonder that no one has done a max width legal drop bar.

I was talking to Brant about it at the weekender – watch this space 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What wide, short & shallow bars for Cyclocross?’ is closed to new replies.