Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What wide-but-not-plus rim?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Looking at somethng to more comfortably hod a 29×2.4″ tyre.

What alternatives to Velocity Blunt/Dually are there?

Clink

Flow EX, Ryde Enduro

jimplops

Pacenti DL31

stany
    Free Member

Easton ARC looks interesting. Lighter than Flows and up to 30mm internal width.
    Might give them a try as they’ll not require a mortgage extension like many of the carbon equivalents

wiggles
    Free Member

DT ex471

jameso

Blunt/P35 is a spot-on size I think. Weight increase isn’t anything to worry about for the other gains and the width is good for pressure/tyre profile balance. 21>25mm is a subtle change, going up to 30mm I noticed more ability to use lower pressure or the volume increase, felt like a worthwhile step although I was a bit sceptical at first. Default would have been more Flows which tbh didn’t feel much different to D521/321s, just seemed a sensible choice of the options available then.

Easton ARC looks interesting.

They do.. for £70-ish, better than the Velocity sleeved rim.

Bigmantrials

The new eastons look like a nice rim, however I have just built up a set of 27mm internal Velocity Blunt SS rims, initial impressions are pretty good, my bike felt much more stable in corners and seemed to grip better when I was out on Sunday compared to my Bontrager Rhythm Elite’s I had on before (23mm internal).

The Blunt SS’s are quite lightweight though, so depending on your riding style/where you ride you might deem them unsuitable, my 29er wheelset weighed up at just under 1700g, rims were around 410-420g each when I weighed them. I am running a combination of Specialized Butcher 2.3 and Ground control 2.3 tyres on them.

singlespeedstu
    ir_bandito
    Free Member

The Blunt SS’s are quite lightweight though, so depending on your riding style/where you ride you might deem them unsuitable

Its for my rigid Fortitude which gets hammered all over the place so strength is possibly more important than weight.

Hmm, On One have the DL31s for £30 at the moment.

Time for a spreadsheet….

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m loving my 35mm carbon light bicycle rims.

I’ve been following Nextie rims for a while. Very tempted, but its a bit more of an investment.

mos

38mm LB carbon ones here. Doing an excellent job of holding my knard tubeless.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are people noticing a change in tyre profile and cornering habits when running these wider rims?

P20

I’ve just bought, but not yet built some Ryde Enduro. Seem well built, light for the width

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Are people noticing a change in tyre profile and cornering habits when running these wider rims?

I hope so! I’ve got 2.4″ X-Kings on my present wheels which have 22mm internal width. Running at the lower pressure I prefer for traction, they squidge around under hard-cornering, hence wanting to go lighter.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was wondering if the flatter crown on a wider rim might make the transition from upright to leaning over more sudden.

Think I read somewhere that the hr2 for example, was designed for a 23mm internal rim.

ekul
    Free Member

I’d never really thought about the difference a rim width would make but due to a buggered hub I had to replace my XT rear with my DT Swiss FR600 rimmed downhill wheel. The difference was night and day, so much more planted and less ‘roll’ in the corners. Was all going splendidly despite the considerable weight difference.

Then I snapped my rear triangle :-(.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Roval Traverse fattie, 30mm internal width. I’ve got a 2.4 Maxxi Shorty, on, and it’s great.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Roval Traverse fattie

Are they available as rim-only anywhere?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Right, subject to establishing the ERD for the Easton arc, I’m down to a toss-up between the Pacenti DL31 and the Superstar DS25 (which are less than half the price of the Easton). They’re both £30. The SS is 25mm internal width and weighs 545g, the Pacenti is 26mm width and weighs 582g

nemesis
    Free Member

Which did you go for ir_b?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Superstar DS25s
    Built up fine (once I realised they were handed differently to my existing rims)
    Installed tubeless X-Kings on sort of ok – bead properly locked to one side but seems sealed ok on the other.

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks – Bit late now but I also ordered DS25 for my 650b+ wheels. I haven’t tubeless’d them yet though but planning to do that once I get some tape. What size tape did you use?

Leku
    Free Member

Grrrr.
    Velocity Blunt SS & Easton ARC not available in 26″ (both look great rims).
    Definitely the start of the end rather than then end of the beginning.

nemesis
    Free Member

Does 26+ exist? (and I don’t mean fat)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

25mm yellow tape, got away with a single wrap.

nemesis
    Free Member

Cool – thanks.

Northwind

I’d have LB carbonz. But tbh I’m a bit oblivious to the difference between my skinnies traversees and my fat LBs.

coomber
    Free Member

ir_bandito – Member

Superstar DS25s
    Built up fine (once I realised they were handed differently to my existing rims)
    Installed tubeless X-Kings on sort of ok – bead properly locked to one side but seems sealed ok on the other.

Handed differently? Just ordered one for my first ever wheel build. Any tips?

10% off with FORT10 at the mo.. £31 delivered.

Internal width is 25mm for reference to anyone else

MrTricky
    Free Member

26+ exists and is excellent, via Surly Dirt Wizards or Knards. Work nicely with Sun MTX33 rims on a 1×1

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What wide-but-not-plus rim?’ is closed to new replies.