• This topic has 35 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by akak.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • What Wheelset would you buy with a budget of £250??
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

I’m currently using shimano hubs with Mach1 rims, cheap n cheerful but after only 4 months of trail riding on my Spesh epic comp ’03, the wheels feel and look like there gonna give way!

I’ve got £250 available, Should I go for custom build or factory built?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

lee93
    Free Member

I’ve just been to whinlatter and in there shop (cycle wise) they have the nukeproof generator wheels made for front and rear they want £225 never use thesewheelsbut for that money don’t think you can go rong!
    Depends on your style of riding also I’ve just got some hopes made up for £350 pro 2 evo hubs on mavic 321 rims dt Swiss spokes solid wheels also light at the same time have look on crc they have some good deals on factory and hand made!

chakaping
    Free Member

You should be able to get Hope Hoops with Stan’s Crest rims for £265 if you shop around.

You can find that extra £15 from somewhere can’t you?

tom84
    Free Member

mine! (see classifieds)

marsdenman
    Free Member

Sun Ringle Black Flag Expert @ CRC…
    I’ve no experience of them but, £209 for an RRP £370 set of wheels, with an extra 10% off if ordered today?

davewalsh
    Free Member

I’d get superstar switch hubs on stans crest or flow rims and spend the £30 change on something else, however if you can find the other £30, the hope hoops you’ve linked to would be my choice.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+ plenty for hope hoops on rim of choice, which these days is a Stans rim then choose your weight/riding style. Those black flags are supposed to have poorly sealed bearings and were a chunk cheaper a month ago (lots of purchases after a PSA thread).

swompy
    Free Member

another vote for hope hoops, bombproof with serviceable hubs, I changed from 316/formula hubs to the crest/pro2 , absolutely tranformed my bike.

Del.
    Free Member

If your not after anything too fancy then can I recommend the new £130 wheel sets from Superstar. I’ve just got a set of the AMX & can’t fault them for the money.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Thanks for everyones input, Getting a clear idea as to whats tried and tested, Looking like the Hope Pro2 with Stans crest is the way forward, anyone have reccomendations as the cheapest but safe place to get hold of them, anyone ever purchased from eBay??!!

seems a good price but is it a safe bet?!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-HOPE-2011-PRO-2-EVO-STANS-FLOW-WHEELS-FRONT-REAR-/360437415021?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item92b0c88537#ht_500wt_1123

chakaping
    Free Member

Well the guy from Progressive Bikes is a regular in here and his customers seem happy so that would be a pretty safe bet I reckon.

si-wilson
    Free Member

I’m the guy from progressive bikes 🙂 the hope hoops are ace, i use them with flows.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Cool, If I’m riding mostly Red and a Black trails i.e Coed y Brenin/ Nantyarain, but looking to go on longer XC rides, Am I better off with the Flows or Crests?

Also excuse my ignorance but do the QR skewers come included?!

p7rich
    Free Member

I bought these 3 months ago and have been good as gold so far. (NB. they’re 9mm QR)

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Wheels/Mountain+Bike+Wheels/Factory+Mountain+Bike+Wheels/Shimano+XT+M785+Disc+Factory+Wheelset_WHM785.htm

Smack-bang on budget + you get very well regarded skewers (+ free rotors at the moment!) thrown in. Typically, the Pro2s don’t come with skewers.

br
    Free Member

Am I better off with the Flows or Crests?

Crests, lighter and will take abuse plus happy with (upto) 2.4 tyres.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Oh….The XT’s seem like a good deal, I’m now unsure!

si-wilson
    Free Member

I use the flows because I prefer the profile the wider rim gives to higher volume tyres. For the riding you do I would have the flows, they are hardly heavy anyway.

tom84
    Free Member

your considering the xt but not the xtr’s? they are so great!

speaker2animals

Budget = £250, XTR price at Merlin = £525. Can you work out why OP isn’t considering the XTRs?

chakaping
    Free Member

For the riding you do I would have the flows

I’d say the Crests were perfect for trail centres and “longer XC rides”, especially on a 2003 Epic.

Both are good though.

morgs
    Free Member

I’d say you should buy my Hope/Flows wheelset off me. Used for about 30 miles – all on road commuting. In gunmetal, morgs(DOT)bdavies(AT)gmail(DOT)com for info!

MRanger156
    Free Member

Hope hoops with Flows – future proof, solid, reasonable weight, easy to service.

singletrackmind

Under budget , Lightweight, Crest and Superstar hubs @ £220 .
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=496

winrya
    Free Member

I bought hope hoops pro 2 evos on stans flows for £263 from winstanleycycles a few weeks back. Stunning wheels, lighter than my previous pro 2 mavic 717 build (don’t know how) running tubeless with new tyres has saved 400g over old setup and the bike feels amazing with no burping at all so far and running lower pressures makes the bike feel so much smoother. The super wide rim has also sorted the tyre profile for the better and eliminated that feeling of the tyre rolling off the rim at low pressures

tom84
    Free Member

hi speaker to animals, i meant my xtr wheels on sale in the classifieds which are somewhere in the region of £250, it was only a suggestion though

tacopowell
    Free Member

I bought hope hoops pro 2 evos on stans flows for £263 from winstanleycycles a few weeks back.

Trying to find them at that price, but with no luck was it as a wheelset? or individual front and rear?
    also please excuse my ignorance….again…. but what’s the difference between “standard lacing and straight pull? something to do with how the spokes are set?

Axel Size? I’m sure I’m on 150mm QR (at least on my front Reba forks), Theres options for 135mm??! Sounds well short! Am I barking up the wrong tree?!

Lastly but not least (I’m sure your all pissing yourselves at my “noob” naivety!)

“No Tubes” assuming this is meaning tubeless?
    I can still use tubes but obviously going tubeless has its advantages but can you use any tyres? I’m currently using Continental Rubber Queen Wire 2.2’s
    Maybe I should start a new thread but so far everyones been pretty helpful on this one!

tacopowell
    Free Member

I’m sure I’m on 150mm QR (at least on my front Reba forks)

Please ignore me! I meant 15mm but my forks are QR which I’m assuming means a 9mm which coincides with size of the skewers?! Actually nope thats not right? I’m fully confused!

winrya
    Free Member

Add front and rear to basket separately

You want standard lacing

Fronts come with 9mm and 20mm adapters so you’ll be fine. 9mm is the standard quick release skewers you most often see. 20mm and 15mm have axles that slide through if that makes sense.

135mm is standard rear which you’ll need.

You can indeed run tubes. To go tubeless you need valves, yellow rim tape and stans sealant. In theory works better with tubeless ready tyres (don’t bother with ust) but many people have great results with none tubeless tyres. Think there is a list of tyres on stans website. I’m running nobby nics and racing Ralph’s which are 500g, tubeless ready and so far, perfect at even 20psi:)

tacopowell
    Free Member

Nice one, Appreciate your help, Done bit more research into it and have a better understanding of it all,
    Winstanleys bikes want to charge £298, progressive bikes £280, I might hold on for a week or two to see if elsewhere has any offers.

I figure I’m going for crests over the flows too, flows seem overkill when crests are lighter and will put up with what I’ll be giving them…

Kevevs
    Free Member

hope pro2 on mavic 717, or if you’re heavy and smash your bike about 719. got mine from merlin ages ago and very happy. clicky-click..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Slx or above on stans, way better value if you CBA with maintenance.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Secondhand at that price, for sure.

I’m now running a DT Swiss 240s on Mavic 717
    Front hub free with (already heavily discounted) forks
    Rear hub £70
    Rims £60 (One new, one preowned but new)
    DT DB Spokes £40 – ish
    Build – DIY

£170 total, and that’s a £500 wheelset there, no question, and I could make a profit on that if I sold them on all day long!
    You’ve just gotta use your noggin a bit

jambalaya
    Free Member

@tacopowell – the easy and cost effective serviceability of Hope will reduce the cost of ownership over time compared to cheaper wheelsets. If you’re patient you can find good deals in classified, there was a recent seller of a Hope/Mavic front wheel lightly used for £65 recently. Hope made an upgtade to their already excellent hubs recently so if you get new you’ll benefit from that

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I got some of the superstar switch hubs on crest rims and also the sun ringle charger expert wheels from cry (for £146 – think they’ve gone up a bit now?). Both excellent value. The chargers are a bit heavier but still a stan’s licensed design for going tubeless. Both sets came with the necessary valves and sealant in the box.

akak
    Free Member

£265 + postage is the best offer I can see for hope hoops atthe bike outlet
    In fact thats about as cheap as they ever get afaik.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘What Wheelset would you buy with a budget of £250??’ is closed to new replies.