Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • what wheelset would you buy?
  • nickc

not carbon. what would you buy today?

Tubeless must have 20mm front. ideal mix of weight, strength, looks

26″, obviously 😉

robhughes
    Free Member

Arch ex hoops.

nuke

Arch EX or Flow EX Hope Hoops depending on rider weight and regular riding location

tmb467
    Free Member

Picking up a set of DT Swiss 350 and mavic 821s tomorrow

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mavic Crossmax SX. I worked in a set this week and was massively impressed. If you’ve got the dosh that is….

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-crossmax-sx-wheelset-2014/rp-prod69931

Tracey

Roval traversee el. Mine have been perfect. Got another set to put on Abigales new build

snaps
    Free Member

Mate & I haggled Wickedcycles down to £550 for 2 sets of these.

Twin
    Free Member

Just bought a set of those^^^^^
    Got rid of my 2012 Crossmax SX. Great initially, but constantly losing spoke tension, resulting in damaging the rim (spoke pulling out of the hole). The spokes are actually threaded into the rim, and the spoke material is harder than the rim, so bang went the rim instead of the £3.50 spoke. They used to make funny noises too, constantly pinging as the spokes lost tension. And waaaay too expensive in general.I wouldn’t recommend.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Flox EX on Hope hubs every time for me. In fact, every bike in the house currently is some sort of stans/hope combo.

TheFlyingOx

I’ve had a set of American Classic All Mountain wheels for about 3 1/2 years now and they’re still as true as the day the bike was built. I’m no racing snake at 90ish kilos, nor am I known for picking smooth lines through the terrain. Never needed a thing doing to them. They’re pretty damn light as well, at less than 1500g for the pair. Added bonus is the ninja freehub, if you’re not a fan of the clack-clack of the Hope hubs. Totally silent.

£350 at Winstanleys.

Twin
    Free Member

The new Hope hubs with the 40 tooth thingy are much quieter than the old ones though.

jairaj

Spank Oozy

oliverracing

DT240 with stans rim of your choice – light if built with the right spokes, and brass nipples at all costs!

njee20
    Free Member

^^ this

wool

Rims, hubs & spokes your choice but must be built by Mr Murray at Keswick Bikes. Oh if you make any silly choices he won’t build them.

thered

King on 819’s, the best

orangeboy
    Free Member

Arch ex on stans hubs. Far lighter than hope but black only
    Or stans arch ex on nova tech hubs / a2z hubs

br
    Free Member

VFM – Hope SP/Crest combo – I bought two sets rather than the expensive carbons I was going to.

Freehub cracked, warranty replacement after 2.5 years.

A bearing went in the other in the mid of a big ride. Got home as a fixie, with assistance of tie-wraps. Stripped it all out and couldn’t shift the outer race of the inner bearing that had failed. Sent it to Hope asking them to get it out, offering to pay. Came back next day FOC.

Can’t go wrong with service like that, and they only weigh 1560g for a 21mm inner width.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thered beat me to it – although 823s or 817s depending no you weight / riding

chrishc777
    Free Member

Spank Oozy rims on pro 2 evo 40t hubs. custom built with dt swiss double butted spokes. awesome

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘what wheelset would you buy?’ is closed to new replies.