Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What wheelset for up to £150?
  • allyharp

As per title, looking to spend max £150 on some new (26″ QR) wheels with the following criteria:

– General trail riding/highland cross country epics. I don’t ride too hard but I don’t want something that’s liable to break when I’m miles from anywhere.
    – Would prefer 6-bolt hubs but don’t mind running adaptors if needed
    – Regular spokes would be nice for ease of replacement, but not a deal breaker

What’s around that fits the bill?

tonyplym
    Free Member

Have a look on the Rose bikes website for their wheel packages using DT Swiss 370 hubs – I picked up a pair of 29″ Mavic TN319-rimmed wheels for a very good price; quick delivery (just over a week from order), and they even came with some decent QR skewers for free. Web site lists loads of wheel options – some include tyres, tubes and rim tapes, but if you look closely you can buy just the wheels.

gaberin
    Free Member

Second hand Hopes.

bland

I’d say superstar for value but the bearings are beyond shit!

Get second Hand hopes.

allyharp

Think I would really prefer to buy new for this bike as they (should be) much less likely to need tinkering with initially, rather than taking a punt on something 2nd hand.

Normally I’m not afraid of maintenance but this bike that lives at my parents house so I only see it once every few months, and I usually want to get straight out for a ride when I arrive.

Any thoughts on Shimano MT65?

I did also see the classic Shimano XT / Mavic XC717 combo at Rose for about this price. A good option there?

nigelb001
    Free Member

Fulcrum Red Power XL from bike-discount.de – a little bit over budget at £168 but worth it, nice wheels, fairly light, have them on one of my bikes. Buy them from UK if you want to pay £50+ more. 🙁

lornholio
    Free Member

Superstar AMX for £130. Did me a whole summer in Chamonix (rocky) riding a hardtail at 80kg with minimal truing required.

gaberin
    Free Member

I’ve bought a couple of sets of hope hoops off the classified, none have ever needed any tinkering. Can’t say the same for my shimano hubs that have needed adjusting a couple of times..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What wheelset for up to £150?’ is closed to new replies.