Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What wheelset?
  • Paul-j

Looking at getting a set of 27.5 wheels.
    I have £450 to spend.
    will be used for pretty much everything other than xc racing.

Like the look of the mavic xl, but also had the idea of a set of carbon rims and getting them built up.

Any ideas?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

DT Swiss 240s, supercomp spokes, EX471 rims.

rickon
    Free Member

Mavic Crossmax XLs look good. The same as above, but as the wheelset.. DT Swiss ex1501.

I had the same dilemma, spent a good while searching and those DT Swiss wheels were by far the best option. I got them for £350, but youll struggle to get them for less than £450.

Best ALU rims and best hubs, laced to bombnproof spokes and built by hand by a Swiss person.

jimw
    Free Member

I had the same experience, did a lot of research and concluded EX1501 were the ones to go for, they can be had for about £480 from abroad.

I wondered who got the ebay set for £350 ….,was that you?

rickon
    Free Member

Heeeeeee. Yep 🙂 Put in a really silly offer, and it was accepted. Sold the EWS skewers for £50, the freehub for £25. So cost be £275 for the set. Proper chuffed with that on.

Paul-j

what hob nob said:

Price: 580,90 € *
    Weight:1721 g *

prezet
    Free Member

Just had a pair of EX471 rims laced to some Hope Pro 2’s – came out lovely.

Paul-j

found some mavic xl for £450,

jimw
    Free Member

Ricon -the skewers for £50?!? The ones that came with mine were the steel versions.

gt900uk
    Free Member

The roval fatties look interesting.

spxxky

Get hubs you can service (Hope), spokes you can replce (DT) and rims that are tubeless (any Stan’s)… they’ll last a lot longer than Mavics or other designer wheels

jimw
    Free Member

The Hope hub/DT Swiss Comp/ flow EX combination is certainly most of the above, but will be appreciably heavier than the equvalent DT swiss wheel.

rickon
    Free Member

Ricon -the skewers for £50?!? The ones that came with mine were the steel versions.

Mine were titanium!

DT Swiss are much easier to service than Hope. Much.

The Roval fatties are a good set of wheels, but they were too flexy for Enduro racing for me. 24 DT revolution spokes at the front wasn’t something that inspired confidence on fast, steep and rocky descents.

jimw
    Free Member

Mine looked like the Ti ones with a silver shaft rather than black, but when I tested with a magnet….,,

I weighed them to make sure, definitely steel.

But then yours came from a race team?

Anyhow, back on topic, don’t the Rovals have DT Swiss internals?

mtbfix

What spxxky said.

sillyoldman

As above, but replace the Hopes with DT 350s and the Stans with DT EX471s.

RickDraper
    Free Member

The rim should always be a EX471 they are really lovely rims and go up tubeless no problem.

Paul-j

dt swiss seem like a good bet then.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just got the xl myself after a bit of agonising, one ride and I know I made the right decision.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Hope Tech Enduro. Reliable, easy to service and the best after sales care I’ve ever witness from a bike manufacturer.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.