Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What wheels should I buy?
  • rubymurry
    Free Member

I need a new set of wheels due to my Mavic ST’s hub getting a bit worn out, should I buy Hope pro4’s with Arch rims or Mavic Crossmax SL, only concern with the SL’s is that they might be a bit weak for all mountain riding, and the hopes might be a bit heavier that my ST’s – has anyone any thoughts on either?

teethgrinder

I’d happily take the trade for being able to get spokes for <£1 each.

sharkattack

Mavic wheels are a really nice thing but there’s a lot to be said for being able to buy replacement spokes and bearings in almost any bike shop in the world.

Don’t Mavic also stop supplying spare parts at a five year cut off point or something? Correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m not a Hope evangelist like some people but I love how easy the hubs are to service.

Poopscoop

Got to agree.

Had Mavics in the past but stick to Hope now as I can get spares quick and over time got the pressing tools to fit the bearings without resorting to using socket sets.

I liked the Mavics but was always a little worried about getting spares should the need arise…

russyh
    Free Member

Go to agree go with the Hopes. Last set of Mavic factory build wheels I had were Crossmax Enduros and they were bloody hopeless. Constantly snapping rear spokes which were a fortune, just awful wheels.

rubymurry
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I thought it was probably bettter to go with the hopes, I agree mavics are a pain when it comes to getting them fixed!!!!

devash
    Free Member

From personal experience I’d never buy factory wheels again (my negative experience was trying to source Fulcrum spares, but Mavic would be the same).

Have a look at Merlin Cycles. They do some cracking deals on Stans rims / Hope Hubs. Also, have a look at WTB rims.

jekkyl

round ones!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve never needed a replacement Mavic spoke, and I have given a good few of their wheelsets a decent pasting.

Still, if it were me I’d look at the relevant DT rims (eg. ex471, xm481) – they are phenomenally tough.

zelak999
    Free Member

I’d be looking at the DT swiss spline one options.
    Nice and light and super solid.
    Tweeks Cycles have a good selection online to look at.
    I’d be tempted with a EX 1501 30mm front and a EX 1501 25mm rear.
    Basically it’s the EX 471 rim that Gwin finished on without a tyre.
    But that’s just me!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What wheels should I buy?’ is closed to new replies.