• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What wheels (excluding Hope)
  • kevin1911

Thinking of getting some new wheels to replace the Bonty Rhythm Elite wheels that came on my Trek Fuel Ex9.

I have several sets of Hope Hoops and rate them highly, but I fancy something a bit different. Maybe even a bit special.

So what should I be considering?

So far I can only think of either:
    – Mavic Crossmax ST (anyone know of anyone doing deals on these?)
    – Chris King Hubs laced to something… (the lack of interchangable axles and the price puts me off a bit though)
    – American Classics – heard some good things about them but not sure which model would be most suitable

Any others? Any hot deals at the moment?

I ride a mix of trail centres and thick gloopy mud-infested local trails. I’m not the most svelte of riders (about 15st).

Looking forward to some suggestions.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Industry Nine.

Yum.

andrewh
    Free Member

I would go for the Kings.
    Build quality is excellent and a doodle to service. Also easy to fix handbuilt wheels when you knacker spoke and/or rim, Crossmaxes would be a PITA.
    Hear AC bearings don’t last, not tried them myself though.
    I know nothing about I-9

Konastoner
    Free Member

I would recommend DT SWiss 440 on Stan’s Flow / DT 5.1’s.

I’ve had mine for 4 years on 3 bikes now, work out 100g heavier than Hopes / kings but a hell of a lot more robust and simple to maintain.

Full range of adapters too.

frank4short
    Free Member

Industry Nine.

+1

Absolutely love mine & i haven’t had an iota of trouble from them so far.

tazzymtb

I’m having great success with goldtec hubs, weight weenie light, interchangeable axle options and haven’t missed a beat so far. If you talk to them nicely they can also anodise pretty much any colour to match your frame for full pimpyness

kevin1911

Hmmm, those are some nice wheels!!

EDIT: Eeeek, just seen the price!! Is there generally any room for movement on the retail price?

br
    Free Member

Carbon Havens?

But tbh when you come back to interchangability, ease of maintenance, ability to buy replacements, mud-coping and value-for-money – you’d be hard pushed to beat Hope hubs (and Stans rims).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What wheels (excluding Hope)’ is closed to new replies.