Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What wheels do you have on your disc cx bike?
  • jonba
    Free Member

Looking for inspiration around the £200 mark

I’d like hope hubs as I have them on 2 other bikes and like them but I’m not sure I can get them at this price so what else is out there?

Who does good custom builds for cx wheels? I’ll drop merlin an email as I normally go there but this isn’t an option.

wool

Have 2 sets
    DT RR 2.1 on Hope ti glides 32 hole
    60mm carbon rims on DT 240 s centre lock 32 hole

federalski
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of 29er Stans Crests on Hope hubs on my Fixie inc and been happy with them.
    From Wiggle the pair are £287 though they often email out 10% off codes which at £260 is cheaper than I’ve seen anywhere else.

700c disc brake wheelsets are still rare and handbuilt is probably the way to go.

jonba
    Free Member

How do you get on with the tyres on the crest rims? I was also looking at the standard hope hoop offering but am really put off by the horror stories of fitting tyres.

I’ll be running tubes as I’ll be swapping tyres a bit depending on racing/road riding or bridleway pootling.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Hope Hoops with Crests here too. Had them for 10 months or so run tubeless with Maxxis Raze. Tyres were tightish to get on but a spot of fairy liquid did the trick. Would buy the same again if buying tomorrow.

Kinesis have some smart looking wheels out soon I believe, which are designed with their Pro6 frame in mind.

cynic-al
    Free Member

lx/open pro.

Benn fine w/2″ on 29er too.

clubber
    Free Member

Circus Monkey hubs with Stans Arch Ex rims – they’ve been faultess running tubeless

federalski
    Free Member

I also run with tubes on my Crests.

At first I tried to put some Specialized Crossroads (which have a bit of a reputation for being tight anyway) on which was hellish, I managed to get them on after hours of swearing, sweating, looking at the sky for inspiration… Only to find one had pinch flat 😥

I could not take going through it again so got a Challenge Grifo tyre which went on in 5 minutes.

Now I am no wizard at changing tyres and pretty much hate doing any bike maintenance so may have just been rubbish at fitting the tyres but it seems some are ok and some are pretty annoying to get on.

organic355
    Free Member

Ive got Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs, Velocity A23 rims, brass nipples & DT revolution spokes.

Built for me by JRA, they were around £360 though.

If you speak to the guys at JRA and tell them what you want and price range they will sort you out.

chriswilk
    Free Member

pro2 on open pro here, built them myself which saved a packet and is satisfying.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What wheels do you have on your disc cx bike?’ is closed to new replies.