• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nikk.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What wheel Truing Stand?
  • calumf50
    Free Member

I will be building my first wheelset over the next few weeks and I am looking for recommendations for a good wheel truing stand.

I have been reading up on the TS2 and 2.2 and am not impressed that they do not come with the base and centering jig as standard.

Also been researching cheaper alternatives however most reviews suggest issues with flexibility.

I might be building 2 wheels a year at the most.

Pierre

The TS2 is the staple of most bike shop workshops, they’re “good enough”, certainly for everyday servicing and wheelbuilding. You can use them without the adjustable base, I know mechanics who just clamp the bottom of the TS2 in a bench vice, but the base does make it more comfortable – you can angle the stand forwards and backwards.

If it’s the aluminium block to re-centre the stand you’re talking about, you don’t really need that, just any properly dished wheel. However, if you want to accurately check the wheel dishing, you’re best off getting something like one of the Park WAG tools.

Certainly if you’re building at most two wheels a year, I’d suggesting looking for a second-hand TS-2. Or as a cheaper alternative, the Minoura folding stands are pretty good and take up a lot less space when not in use.

Or, if money’s no object… £1700? 😉

http://www.pklie.de/truing_stand.html

Pierre

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252668007641 looks to be just what you need. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Base…..

Ours was only ever screwed to ply for a base.

I’m on the spy for a new ts2 the one with the deeper arms for doing 29ers with tires on ….since we are a most 29er family.

damitamit
    Free Member

I’ve built about 9 wheels using the Tacx folding truing stand (like that minoura one). I clamp it to a ikea stool and it does the job. It’s not amazing (it’s too flexible as you say) but it works well enough.

That minoura dishing gauge is rubbish and I actually much prefer the cardboard (and bent spoke) one I made using the instructions in the Roger Musson book.

kayak23

I built a plywood one following hints in Roger Mussons book.
    Just finished, I think, my eighth wheel on it. (No, not because the previous 7 fell apart!)
    Sorry, not very helpful but you know,….yay wheelbuilding… 😀

calumf50
    Free Member

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Any one tried the cheapo x tools stand from CRC??

May have a look at the Roger Mussons book too.

dovebiker

Don’t worry too much about the jig as whilst it can make your life a bit easier, it doesnt make your wheels any better, being systematic and patient is far more important – you can still build rubbish wheels on a £2000 jig. I built some carbon fatbike wheels last week using the frame and forks because my wheel jig doesn’t go wide enough – they’re true to within 0.2mm and were tension-balanced within a few %. As an alternative, the Feedback Sports jig will never be obsolete!

vincienup
    Free Member

I have the Minoura stand and dishing gauge.

I’ve had no stability issues. I doubt it would stand up to daily shop use, but I seriously doubt the occasional home user will ever find a problem with it that isn’t actually in their head. The Minoura is sufficiently heavy in the base that it doesn’t need clamping to anything and has a little fold out steady piece to stop it over balancing.

The Musson book is well worth the tenner or whatever he’s asking. It’s great- I’d heartily recommend reading it before starting buying bits of wheel. Especially the section on measuring and ending up with bits that actually will go together without problems… 🙂 The stand looks ok, but it’s not the set of thing you’ll find easy to knock up on the kitchen table and back step with a handsaw/jigsaw – it would benefit from a bandsaw in the construction. Also, unless you have a lot of marine ply and plastic sheet just knocking around it’s actually not a cheap thing to buy all the materials for at consumer DIY store prices.

CraigW
    Free Member

On-One Jobsworth Pro stand seems pretty good. It has a nice sturdy base anyway.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As Craig here, it’s a good copy of the Park, which I’d used at work.

Very solid and easy to use, being able to just screw the guides in or out is great, but it is bulky.

Only tried an ultimate at work otherwise.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

I bought this kit and I’ve been very happy with it. Built a rear alfine wheel up 6 months ago and it’s still totally fine! First wheel I’ve ever built.

I also got a nipple driver, which I’d recommend.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I looked into this a wee while ago. I ended up not bothering in the end as I found out that The Bike Station rent the use of one in their public workshop area for £4 per hour.
    They have a fantastic work area, all the tools you’ll ever need, good music, good coffee, friendly staff, it’s warm and it’s a bike shop!

🙂

Worth finding out if you have something like this near you…

nikk
    Free Member

Don’t need a jig, build it on the frame. Blutac and business cards. I don’t understand why anyone needs a jig unless they are a shop building / truing wheels all day.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What wheel Truing Stand?’ is closed to new replies.