Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What wheel size for Ridgeway?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

For maximum efficiency – 27.5×3.0 or 29×2.2?

There are some lumpy bits where the big tyres would be an advantage, but then there are also lots of smooth bits where they might not.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What size is on your bike now?

That one.

maxtorque

26″ Retro performance size!

soobalias
    Free Member

for the same bike?
    max efficiency, go for the wagon wheels.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s for SaxonRider’s bike – he expressed interest in the Ridgeway double, and I want to know what to tell him to do 🙂

Because it’s such a long way, even a small difference in efficiency matters.

cinnamon_girl

What would the Romans use molgrips? 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Cart wheels it is 🙂

MrPottatoHead

I’ve never ridden a 29’er, but that would be the best choice all day long for the Ridgeway. For the most part there is nothing remotely technical along the way – just get the wheels rolling and keep on going.

mtbfix

Whether it rained in the last week could be a factor.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m planning a flexible schedule – I’m not doing 175 miles of Ridgway in the wet, no way!

I have ridden plenty of it myself so I am fairly familiar with at least the western part – just not on a plus bike so I dunno if it’d be better or not.

jameso

3″ is almost pointless on that trail. A benefit if it’s very hoof-churned then flash-dried and that could only affect a few short sections. The offical double ITT route has tarmac in places also.

Currently some eastern half sections are running faster (for me) on 650B x 47 than I’ve ridden them in the past on 29×2.3, and that is the side that tends to be rougher going in places. Very smooth going in places.

Someone did it in 13hrs the other weekend..

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I use a Trigger 29 with Hans Dampf 2.35. Epic. Or a rigid Trail 29 with Conti Race Kings/ Race Sport.

steezysix
    Free Member

I did it on my road bike with 35mm knobblies. It was not fun. The second time on my 29er hardtail with 2.2 Race Kings, they were perfect, but it was pretty dry.

konanige

I reckon 26er front and 29er back going uphill, wont seem as steep, then swap em round for the descent!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Was thinking during some of my long xc rides recently, people I ride with banging on about 29 only for xc, and meanwhile I’m cruising along really happy and enjoying my nice 26er hard tail.

I have bigger wheels in 650b on the 5010 and love that bike, even for xc-ing. It’s a fast bike once the momentum is going. But I go just as fast on the xc stuff on the 26 wheels.

Wheels are wheels to me. I just enjoy riding.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

We did an average of 17.5mph on the Ridgeway for 80km last Sunday at the Scott Marathon.
    29ers all round.

lustyd
    Free Member

26×4.8 JJs for the win. Similar size to a 29er but with better grip for the climbs, better vibration damping, and a massive grin factor. They also make a noise that makes people get out of the way when overtaking, which is handy because I tend to overtake more on the fattie!

adsh
    Free Member

29er, tough and fast 2.25 or more, only when bone dry and good luck.

Time to roll out the ‘fish photo

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wsL537]Ridgeway double[/url] by

Also there may be nothing technical but there are some fast very rutted sections which need care when tired. Pick a rut stick in it and prepare to slow/stop when it inevitably proves to be the wrong one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Brings back memories of a crash I had in 2001 or so on one of those rutted motorway bits. Some bugger had cut down a sapling in the middle of it and left a slanted little stump that dumped me off my bike very effectively.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What wheel size for Ridgeway?’ is closed to new replies.