Viewing 29 posts - 121 through 149 (of 149 total)
  • What were you like at school – come on be honest
  • molgrips
    Free Member

And if you are bright, it only shows how boring they are

Yes. If you're really intelligent you'll figure out how to get what you want out of life.

If that's a fairly large amount of money and a career, then fine.
    If that's a huge amount of money and not needing a career, then go for it.
    If it's dropping out, then great, that's the easiest option 🙂

You need to figure it out and then do it. How to be happy is the most important question you'll ever need your intelligence to answer.

335.geek
    Free Member

"Done a couple of IQ tests actually, usually score around 150. 148 in the last one. Dunno how accurate things like that are, as they are usually quite logic based, which is where I'm best at. Is IQ all about logic?"

No….. and 148/150 is not that great really, even on a properly referenced and administered test, as opposed to a self-administered twenty questions on the internet.

Most of the people I work with measure around the 180/185 mark, you could probably get a job here as a cleaner.

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought there were different scales of IQ test?

335.geek
    Free Member

There are loads, that's why it's important to use a consistent measure, but getting different organizations and bodies to agree on a standard is a nightmare, especially within the scientific community.It's somewhat like trying to herd cats.

Here, we use The Wechsler Intelligence Scale. But there quite a few others.

Off to breakfast and work now anyway, have fun 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

Musicians use The Wechsler Intelligence Scale..?

😯

335.geek
    Free Member

Not actually a musician anymore:)

335.geek
    Free Member

Nor in Manchester, or even the uk.:)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

In used to judge on cleverness/job/etc and am now horribly embarrassed that I did.

I now "judge" someone by how interesting they are – from out of work bods that can fix any car or bike to consultant doctors.

Anyone tries the "job/status" thing on anyone down here in Cornwall, they get laughed back into Devon. After living in Surrey for the first 14 years of my life, it's rather refreshing.

I think Uni is great though but only if the degree is worth doing. If you work hard and know your stuff, money will usually follow. As long as it's enough to live comfortably on, then you're sorted.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Yup. I love my job to bits and make a reasonable living and wouldn't change what I do for anything.

yunki
    Free Member

they get laughed back into Devon

'Ere bey! their feet woutn't touch the ground 'ere neither!'

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Listen to our maninthenorth. He speaks the truth and its a big one.

It took until I was 35 in a senior professional position being miserable and subsequent redundancy to gain my perspective and freedom.

Uni is more than just getting a degree anyway.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I did really well academically at school (but got bullied for a few years), was able to talk to girls, managed to get good exam result and still go out on the lash (teachers hated it, I loved that they did). Got lazyish and bored at uni but still got an OK degree.

Have to say I wouldn't recommend the professions for their own sake, I'm not enjoying being a lawyer at all, adn I don't think it requires a great deal of intelligence. I admire folk who do what they want and enjoy it.

myheadsashed

I was a ****t at school and spent my final year with my own desk outside the deputy headmistresses office.
    She was an RE teacher so 'had' to do RE.
    Was also allowed to stay in art class all day as I liked the teachers and they like me.

Saw Miss White about 10yrs after leaving school, she said 'out of all my 40 yrs as a teacher I would bet you'd be the pupil to end up in prison' high praise indeed 😕

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Bright but lazy.
    Always in the shadow of my one year older, acedemically brilliant swot of a sister…It was always…"oh, are you Claire's sister?"
    Didn't fit in. Always wanted a "best friend"…never had one.
    Loathed secondary school.

Marin
    Free Member

Didn't like school much, 6th form was good, had a blast at Uni as couldn't think of anything else to do. Never used my degree but learnt a lot and moved well out my "social class" and it really opened up the world for me.
    Bumped into an old school bully in a cafe whilst doing a brick laying course at night school a few years back.
    I received a very very heart felt apology for his behaviour at school as he informed me his dad was battering him and brother every night so he passed it on and then became a junkie but has since sorted himself out. Met him at college a few times after that and the fella was O.K.
    Makes you realise you're own teeange angst wasn't that bad and how cool my dad was.

Junkyard
    Free Member

poignant words marin

john_drummer
    Free Member

my O Level German teacher said i was "an enigma"

Ti29er
    Free Member

I thought we cracked the German's Enigma Code.
    Maybe he was making a pass at you! 😉

Met no one from school since leaving in 1982.
    Friends Re-united was popular one year and so I have a vague idea where everyone ended up, but it seems to have died a death. 1/2 ended up in the Forces or the Police, so we swapped one institution for another!

Clockwork667
    Free Member

I managed to walk that fine line between geek and sporty, accepted by both.
    Was bullied once, nothing physical just threats, there was no 'give him a right hook and he won't bother you again" heroics, the guy was a nutter. He beat up his own father breaking his back in the process a year later.

So I escaped pretty much unharmed and anonymous.
    Living in the states I am alarmed about how people survive american high schools, At least I faced nothing like my friend who survived Columbine.

My ex went to the same high school as this lovely lady 'Lacey NJ'

And this weekend I'll be camping a few miles down the road from here: Platte Canyon

NZCol

Our school as the first school to have CCTV in Scotland. That and the fact its shaped like a bike were its claims to fame. In actual fact it was just quite dangerous !

maxray
    Free Member

Blown away by the amount of people on here who were bullied/picked on and went on to knock seven bells out of a tough kid.

Maybe I just don't hold on to those school memories with quite that vigour 🙂

This thread does profile the average STWer quite well though. I think I fall below that line mind 😀

grifster
    Free Member

The older I get, the better I was

DezB
    Free Member

Blown away by the amount of people on here who were bullied/picked on and went on to knock seven bells out of a tough kid.

Strange that isn't it? Maybe it goes on more than we imagine. I'd think it was a lot of wishful thinking if a similar thing hadn't happened to me. Can't be bothered to recount it though. However, I remember the 2 real bullies in my school were pretty hard and I wouldn't have taken a pop at them!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Strange that isn't it? Maybe it goes on more than we imagine. I'd think it was a lot of wishful thinking if a similar thing hadn't happened to me. Can't be bothered to recount it though. However, I remember the 2 real bullies in my school were pretty hard and I wouldn't have taken a pop at them!

you can be tough without being a bully. thus the bully has no idea what you can do …

during my time at school i broke a guys jaw(he`d not long put my mate in hospital and was chasing me down with a pool cue as an associate of richards….so i put an end to that) and another chaps nose with a swift backhand after he attacked me from behind – both times in self defence. just a bit stronger on the rage than i gave my self credit for.

was very lucky to be allowed to stay in school, he tried to press charges for the jaw – scumbag. Because i was 16 and he was 15 he thought he would be fine – CCTV showed him with a pool cue ….

to look at me now youd not see that in me … im 12 stone wet , all through school i was 14/15 stone and still fit/strong – used to do 150/200 miles a week between paper round and school as i lived 5 miles away from both and used to ride home for lunch

molgrips
    Free Member

We had a bully who I was intermittently friends with (although somewhat warily on my part) and at war with. Well, he wasn't a bully as such, just a wild kid with aggressive tendencies. He wasn't so big though so I never felt threatened.

Well he got expelled, and after a few years I saw him and he'd bulked up loads and looked extremely mean and nasty having presumably discovered the outside world.. perhaps the system failed him I dunno. Anyway he got into lots and lots of trouble, beating up one of the teachers who had become a mate quite badly (teacher in his 50s at the time).

molgrips
    Free Member

I reckon the bully theme on here is linked to the under-achiever/bored theme. Which I think is why we all hang around on here all day too. Plus there's a lot of physically able people on here too being a sports forum.

Intelligence + not toeing the authority line + physical confidence = getting up bullies' noses + being able to do something about it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I didn't knock seven bales out of my bully, nor did I go and seek him out to get retribution. I just started to defend myself when he decided he wanted some amusement.

The manner in which I chose to do it was deliberate, but I did enough to make him leave me alone, that's all.

hora
    Free Member

Whats with all the violence etc?!!!!

I remember when my girlfriend first met me her mate said to her 'ah he was known as a right perv at school'…..

didnt stop her though 8)

MikeT-23
    Free Member

In essence?

"Bright enough, but easily distracted. Could try harder."

Viewing 29 posts - 121 through 149 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘What were you like at school – come on be honest’ is closed to new replies.