Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • What were you doing when you were 26?
  • zokes
    Free Member

I moved to Australia, doubled my wage and almost halved my working time (down from 80+ to a more reasonable 40 hour week)

Now 27 and it's still looking like a good move…

Dibbs
    Free Member

I got married to Di the day before I was 26, still married to her now, 27 years later 🙂

badnewz
    Free Member

halfway through my phd in oxford, at a multicultural international college so i let the world come and travel me instead

lowey

Shagging. My 1st Daughter was born when I was 26.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I landed what I thought was my dream job…and hated it.

Creg

I was in the final year of my degree

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I know it feels like you're running out of time, but trust me, you're not. chances are you/I will be working till we're 70+, so best go roaming while you can. houses/women/jobs/money/careers/friends will all still be here when you get back.

without being too presumptious, I'd say the majority on here would have bummed around for longer given the choice and benefit of hindsight. the ones that don't usually have met their perfect other half by that point which is also great. but if you havn't then travelling is a great idea – wish I'd done it.

Also on another note, you're far more likely to meet hot, tanned, willing women on an indonesian beach than you are driving a desk in the UK 😈

ocrider

The Alps: working by night, playing by day (or sleeping, sometimes)

slimtubing
    Free Member

Living and working in the lakes, seeing a boozy local bird who I would end up with for 5 years, riding with a kiwi and a saffa after being off the bike for 3 years, enjoying the stinkingly hot summer of 1995.
    Realising that I didn't want to stop travelling so off i went in September 98, best move I ever made.

Rickos
    Free Member

I CBA telling you what I was doing as I'm not sure that was the reason for the original post and I've only read down a bit of the first page. BUT, don't worry about the career thing. Do it. Go and travel and become a more interesting person because of it. Do stuff on your travels that might add to your CV (don't know what you do now or even would like to do, but there's usually something you can do voluntarily or whatever unless you're a nuclear scientist – not too sure you'd be allowed to just dabble at that one). As an employer these days I'd be more likely to employ someone interesting and sparky with drive than some dullard with the right qualifications.

Anyway, I never did it because of the career worry thing, but knowing what I know now I wish I had. So, save up your flight and some spends and do it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

At 26 I was a few years into my environmental career and had just been introduced to the joys of MTB, on my rigid Carrera Vulcan, in Epping Forest.

I regret not travelling. I won't be doing any of that until the kids have flown now. That said, in my late teens and early 20's I wasn't really confident enough to have stuck out on my own anyway, and at uni I met Mrs Officer, and we both did the 'grown up' thing and started chasing jobs after Uni.

ourmaninthenorth

Half way through my (two year) training contract to become a solicitor. That was after 5 years of study. It's quite possible that next year I won't be a solicitor.

I went travelling aged 19 in the standard gap year between school and university. It was great, and elightening, though I make no pretence it was anything other than an elongated holiday.

Were I to do it again (timing will be tricky – daughtrer has just been born), I'd go off and be useful to people. Or I'd do something like this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6324402/US-man-gets-50-jobs-in-50-states-in-50-weeks.html

tails
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, you lot are an interesting bunch when not talking about racism and maggie thatcher.

footflaps

I feel like I've had a really sheltered life, left Uni, got a job and been working ever since. Until recently I rarely took my full holiday allowance either, just worked. I think I have a too strong Protestant Work Ethic.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Just finishing Selection.

white101

Until recently I rarely took my full holiday allowance either

mad mad mad

Amos
    Free Member

Travelling with the F1 Circus, factory based now

lovewookie

Completing my MSc in Newcastle, riding my bike lots and generally feeling fit despite developing quite a binge drinking habit.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

'07, I spent mostly on north sea oil rigs/platforms/boats, madness at the time but the hard work paid off when it meant I could come to live in oz

Bunnyhop

At 26 I was still iving at home but working stupid hours because my little business was doing well.

Actually had money then but no mtb, as mtbing hadn't taken off over here yet and I didn't know anything about them.

Drank too much, partied too much and now am tee total.

Such a long time ago. However my life is a hundred times better now, even though I get really grumpy.

epicyclo

Living in outback Oz. Brilliant.

bakey

26 eh; 1989 for me. After a fun time in the City during the 80's – remember Big Bang? – I jacked it all in and went travelling for a couple of years. Was skint for years afterwards, but definitely the best thing I've ever done. Don't hesitate; jump.

trb
    Free Member

I was preparing to get married to a pain-in-the-arse wife.

After divorcing and finding a proper girlfriend, we jacked it all in to go travelling when I was 34. Best thing I ever did.
    If the little trbs that my missus has recently produced have not done at least 1 world tour by the age of 26 I shall be beating them with a large stick until they go

Do it

farmer-giles
    Free Member

twas '98 when i was 26.
    i was riding a 2nd had hei hei (still got it)
    i had come back from a year travelling round nz and oz in '95 and loved it so much that i left my building site manager job in december '98 and cycled across the Great victorian desert and gibb river road in oz.

travelling is wikked awsum

bigdonx
    Free Member

at 26 was spent 50% of my time on a boat looking for oil around Europe and Africa, and the other 50% skiing, travelling, and generally having a tremendous amount of fun!

To be fair I was on quite a good salary for a 26 year old with no responsibilities/morgage/etc – so that helped – oh and the 6 months of the year I did work were pretty enjoyable too.

When I was 30 I quit and went skiing full time for a few winters. Now 41 and been back to a more "conventional" lifestyle with family, house, cats, mtb, etc for a few years – and to be honest that's pretty good fun too!

All that travelling stuff IS character building, it's not just a cliche – you learn lots about yourself and other people (especially how to deal/communicate with them)which is the kind of stuff that makes a difference when you embark on your next career challenge……plus I think in most cases it makes you appreciate your "lot" a bit more after seeing some of the more sh1tty parts of the world.

Shackleton

Finishing my PhD and starting the long, painful and self-abusive career path towards being an academic. And riding bikes and climbing lots. Not much has changed in the past 5 years!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Just got back from a year in Australia and wondering what to do with myself.

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

would have to look in diary…but im sure i was having a good time

yunki
    Free Member

bad stuff

ononeorange

Made a huge marriage mistake. Wish I'd just given all my money away and gone travelling. Now married to the right one!

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘What were you doing when you were 26?’ is closed to new replies.