Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • What were YOU doing 40 years ago today
  • welshfarmer

when you heard that Elvis had died?

I can remember it clear as day. On the radio, staying in a friends caravan at Port Eynon on the Gower with my Grandparents.

jam-bo

at the grand age of 13 months? shitting, eating or sleeping I would hazard a guess.

crazyjenkins01

Not an awful lot as I hadn’t been born yet

Mister-P
    Free Member

I wasn’t impressed by Elvis at the age of 18 months. Not much has changed on that front.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Standing on a blue plastic chair in the kitchen whilst my Mum pinned up the legs of my first ever pair of school trousers which she was altering to fit

aP
    Free Member

In France with mum+dad, I think in Vichy. Dad walked past a man lying on a bench with a newspaper over his face and it said “Elvis dead” in French obvs. It may have been tomorrow 40years ago though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Taught the band to play.

Or was that twenty years ago……? I forget.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It was a Tuesday, I was probably at playschool so I don’t recall Elvis leaving the building via the shitter.

I do however vividly remember listening to a bloke on the radio at home talking about John Lennon when he died three years later.

Harry_the_Spider

In the car park at Boscastle. It was chunking it down. We were on a family holiday in Bude and the weather had been appalling all week.

I remember my Auntie Janet being very upset, about Elvis that is, not the weather.

We went to the witchcraft museum in the afternoon and I saw lots of photos of nekid ladies jumping over fires, so all in all the day was pretty good as far as my 8 year old self was concerned.

[edit]

I don’t recall Elvis leaving the building via the shitter

You made me laugh until I coughed.

beanum

Tuesday? Really?

I remember being in the car with my Dad (I was 6), and he saw the newspaper headline and told me my Mum would be sad when she found out. I assumed it was a Sunday as we’d been to the tip, but I guess he was on summer holiday….

DezB
    Free Member

My Dad had Elvis records, my older brother had Never Mind the Bollocks. So I was torn really. Don’t remember the event, but remember thinking punks would be pleased.

seosamh77
    Free Member

swimming about in my mammy’s belly! 😆 i don’t think i’d a fully formed opinion on the matter.

allthepies
    Free Member

On holiday at Conwy, North Wales. I was 11, my 8 yr old brother cried at the news 🙂

crispybacon
    Free Member

I was 16 and working in the school holidays at a factory in Plymouth, the ladies on the production lines were in tears & everyone was talking about it 😥

I was too young at the time to understand what Elvis meant to people & the influence his music had on them. They also played Elvis records on the radio all day long 🙁

nickjb
    Free Member

Elvis dead!?! I need to let Joe Cocker know

marcus7
    Free Member

being only six i wasn’t a fan but i do remember the tv showing the coffin being moved and my mum saying it was a shame.

Mackem

Buying pie and chips off him in our local chippy.

jimster01

It was a Tuesday

Could have sworn it was a Thursday, anyhow’s I was 13 delivering the morning papers, it was pissing down again and it was on the front page of the Daily Express.

Didn’t really bother me that much tbh.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

staying in a caravan in Chichester with my parents and younger brother and sister.

My mum and sister were both big Elvis fans and were inconsolable.

It was also the first time I was aware of cynicism as my best friend who was a year older than me described it as a ‘career move’.

smogmonster

Probably eating mud in the back garden and getting washed in the kitchen sink, or whatever is what we did in the 70’s, i was 22 months old….

seosamh77
    Free Member

MTB-Idle – Member
    described it as a ‘career move’.

😆

johnx2
    Free Member

Can’t remember. Might’ve been on hols with my family, last year I did this.

I do remember though thinking he was pretty old and had had a good innings.

crazy-legs

I was doing whatever it is that happens 6 weeks before being born…

spekkie
    Free Member

We were living in South Africa and had been for a year – the news didn’t reach us for some time!

grim168
    Free Member

I always remember the date. It was my 9th birthday!

whitestone
    Free Member

Happy birthday mr Grim!

I was waiting for my A-level results but can’t remember precisely what I was doing that day, possibly helping out on the farm. Will have heard the news on the 6 o’clock news – no interweb back then of course.

Drac

Lying in hospital in a coma having fallen 20 feet onto concrete. At 4 years old and in that state I wasn’t really bothered about Elvis.

yunki
    Free Member

Sat in a bedsit with my mum..
    She cried all day

ton

stood in front of the headmasters office, waiting to get the cane.

poah
    Free Member

**** knows I was 2 and didn’t know some fat American died in a shitting accident

binners

I was probably doing something lego related

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BGOkVaJ8Pg[/video]

Happy birthday grim!

plumber
    Free Member

My mum was crying I remember that clearly as the news was on TV, loads of people queuing around gracelands

tenfoot

My mum told me when I woke up. I wasn’t bothered. Later that day I did my Cycling Proficiency training and the young lady training us was very upset.

molgrips
    Free Member

Too young to care or remember. I did remember having a discussion about him a few years later and learning that he was dead.

I do just about remember John Lennon being shot though and my mum being quite reasonably upset.

Lennon > Elvis in our house.

mintimperial

My eyes and ears would have just about started functioning in the womb, so I suppose my cortex would have been too preoccupied with processing all those new nerve impulses to be bothered much about Elvis.

This thread is very heartening, I might be nearly 40, but I’m not so ancient that I can actually recall any of the 70s, you guys are old… 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

70s news items I remember :

Thatcher being elected

tenfoot

This thread is very heartening, I might be nearly 40, but I’m not so ancient that I can actually recall any of the 70s, you guys are old…

Yeah – I was always getting my bell bottom jeans caught in the chain of my Raleigh Tomahawk 😀

Brown
    Free Member

I’m not sure my parents had even met.

Keva
    Free Member

my step dad had sent off to the shop to buy his newspaper as he always did so I saw it in the headlines that morning. I was only 8 so didn’t really care too much – I expect I probably spent the rest of the day either riding my bike, kicking a football around or playing Top Trumps with friends 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

As an 11 year old, it registered but no vivid recollection of what I was doing when I heard, Boycott’s 100th 100, which happened a few days earlier, was far more important to me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘What were YOU doing 40 years ago today’ is closed to new replies.