Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What weight will a road bike take?
  • creagbhan

My BIL has asked me to take a look at his old bike he has lying in his shed. It has 3×5 gearing and looks like its made of gas pipe.
    Fair enough, but, he weighs about 30 stone and I’m not sure the bike would be safe for him to use.
    Do you think the spokes, frame and more importantly brakes would be up to it?
    Opinions welcome

dovebiker

Most highly stressed components are the wheels and the skinny tyres would probably pop going over a bump. Older caliper brakes are pretty woeful too – particularly if the bike has steel rims

creagbhan

Alloy Alex rims. I’ll suggest larger tyres.

TiRed

Tandems carry this kind of weight and used to be made of gas pipe too. As mentioned, good wheels are what’s needed. Hand built with modest, reliable components from a skilled wheelmaker who will advise you on options. The frame will be fine.

And good for your BIL. I am always in admiration of seriously overweight riders. I really want to say well done and offer encouragement, but worry i’ll just sound patronising! Chapeau.

avdave2

You might want to check the seatpost and saddle are in good nick as well. You wouldn’t want a failure there!

transporter13
    Free Member

Im 28 stone and can honestly say that every bike ive had has been fine….so long as you ride properly, the parts should be fine

creagbhan

Cheers all. He was seroiusly fit many moons ago, played rugby and ran etc.
    Hoping to lose a bit of weight. His knees are a bit ropey so hopefully he’ll manage the bike.

shermer75
    Free Member

His knees are a bit ropey so hopefully he’ll manage the bike.

Sounds like cycling is perfect then, non-weight bearing and all that 🙂

edhornby

As long as there aren’t missing or very loose spokes it’ll be ok, main thing is to get out and ride

Well done to your BiL, carpe diem

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What weight will a road bike take?’ is closed to new replies.