Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What weight sledge hammer?
  • BillMC

I’ve just got a wood grenade for splitting small logs for the burner. What would be the best weight hammer to go for 7, 10 or 14 lbs? Is it better to have a good swing or to have a heavy dead weight?
    ps I am not renewing the patio even though MrsMC is ‘away for a few days’

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I use the dull end of my splitting maul.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Does 7 lb even count as a sledge hammer?
    We have a 28 pounder in the tool store at work, I doubt it’s ever been used though. 😀

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I always prefer to give a more controlled tap with a big heavy hammer,rather than going full tilt with a smaller one.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have a 12lb

i used to use the back of the splitting maul – but it had a tendancy to try and twist on impact due to the weight imbalance.

when i had alot of wood to split with the grenade – knotty shit. i broke and bought a sledge hammer.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Get something that doesn’t have a fibre glass handle. Because when you hit a glancing blow off the grenade and catch the handle, it splits, instantly turning your maul/sledgehammer into a doorstop.

BillMC

Cheers people, that’s very helpful.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

TBH, I don’t use the wood grenade much these days, if at all. Me and a mate halved in for a hydraulic splitter, not an expensive one, 200 quid from Toolstation, and it’s the baws. Can’t recall anything defeating it yet.

footflaps

I just keep hitting it with the Splitting Maul, eventually anything will split…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What weight sledge hammer?’ is closed to new replies.