Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What waterproof jacket?
  • rwc03
    Free Member

Sorry this has probably been done to death here somewhere but I can’t find it.

My north face goretex jack has died and I’m looking for a replacement. I like the hood, pit zips and front pockets of the north face so would ideally like something similar. I’ve heard good things about the gore alp jackets but they lack some of the features I’m after, montane look nice but again expensive. Anything else I should be considering? Off to Wales soon and I’ll be lucky if I don’t need one.

I don’t mind spending a bit if it will last, looking for something for on and off the bike.

Thanks in advance

woody2000
    Scapegoat

Paramo. Velez is a smock with side zips that can be unzipped to the waist. Front pouch pocket and two inside ones. RRP £200, but can be found discounted to the £130 mark, or special editions on eBay for a ton. Don’t wear out like goretex, you simply tech wash and respray them. Superbly breathable, very cont. They appear thick but aren’t too warm.

Paramo also do a lite version with a grown on roll down hood, the adventure lite, a more slim fit bike specific Vista,but that has no pit zips. Or there’s the Quito,which I think does have.

ton

bought a mayhem the other week.
    what you describe, is what the mayhem is.

rwc03
    Free Member

Great, thanks a lot.

Has the mayhem got pit zips? There’s none in the description.

Paramo looks nice but I heard the fabric isn’t that tough, no idea if that’s true or not.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bontrager eVent Packable. No hood, though.

woody2000

Pit zips – check

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Paramo Velez is worth considering if you’re looking for a jacket to wear all day rather than something as a “just in case” jacket. Paramo breathes better than any waterproof I’ve ever tried by a big margin and as such is comfortable to wear even if you don’t need a waterproof on. However I tend to wear mine if I’m going out in foul weather and expecting foul weather all day rather than something to sit in my rucksac.

IHN

CFH – is the Bont jacket good then?

My Gill eVent jacket (Speed Pro?), which I’ve been massivley impressed with, is probably nearing the end of it’s days and the Bonty is the nearest thing to it that I’ve found.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

IHN, very good indeed. As it happens, mine was bought to replace a Gill Speed Pro as well! The pit zips are a little shorter on the Bonty, and it lacks the back pocket (Which I never used anyway!) but it’s still excellent if you can find one. Got mine online (sadly) from Triton (Who were very impressive, as it happens)

rwc03
    Free Member

Cheers Woody

Paramo Quito/Pasco now in the mix also, decisions, decisions

DenDennis
    Free Member

If you go for the Mayhem try getting it from Merlin. I recently did as they have more stock availability than wiggle (discontinued? nope) and worked out cheaper as I got a nice extra discount, not sure why.
    spot on, arrived next day.

johnellison
    Free Member

+1 for Paramo Velez, but go for the Lite version. Best waterproof/windproof/breathable out there. Wash once yearly in NikWax TechWash and you’re good to go. I wear mine all the time.

hainman
    Free Member

+1 for Altura Mayhem……

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve a mayhem and a gore alp x soft shell. During the colder months, I put on the soft shell for every ride, unless it’s actually raining when I leave, in which case its the mayhem. Both jackets are great, can’t comment on the others suggested.

I’m really pleased with just how waterproof the gore is, pretty good, and it feels like you are wearing a top rather than a jacket.

ashfanman
    Free Member

I bought a Mavic Stratos H20 at a huge discount in the January sales and it’s fantastic.

Not sure I’d pay full price, and I don’t think I’d want to wear it off the bike (it’s a bit, erm, Euro, and the tail has quite a drop), but as a riding jacket it’s really very good indeed.

scotroutes

I’ve been wearing a Paramo Velez “Light” recently (for walking, not cycling) and it is no more breathable than Event or Goretex Active Shell.

daznal
    Free Member

No hood but the endura stealth 2 is a truly great bit of kit,waterproof,loads of pockets and pit and side zips.

Scapegoat

I’ve been wearing a Paramo Velez “Light” recently (for walking, not cycling) and it is no more breathable than Event or Goretex Active Shell.

Guy I spoke to thinks the light material is less breathable than the standard, but even so, it doesn’t degrade like a gtx membrane as it depends on the pump lining to wick and shed water and sweat, and reproofing with TX direct to aid beading. It therefore lasts longer than gtx. Breath ability depends on ventilation as well, and with the side sips and poppered chest zip, plus roll-up sleeves I can wear mine all day, not just when it’s raining.

jock-muttley

Mindset Stretch all the features you want without paying for the name!

Trust me a superb bit of kit… and at £40 what have you got to loose. it has ALL the features you want. I have tried Berghaus, Northface, Sombrio & Endura and this is up there with them at a 1/4 of the dosh. Don’t be a brand snob

stevemorg2

I’m selling my XL Quito if that’s any good – great jacket but I have 2 other Paramos and a lightweight Rohan waterproof so it’s not getting used

Scapegoat

Just to say I treated myself go a paramo vista. Its very waterproof and is made from the analogy light which I can confirm from its maiden rapid commute in proper rain, is smart and waterproof, but not as breathable as the Velez I wear on the mtb. There was a distinct moistness to the sleeves after about ten miles of reasonably hard work. That said, the sleeves roll up, and I hadn’t opened the zip or chest pocket zips to vent it. I’ll try gain on the way home, but if you’re bit of a sweaty fat knacker like .e go for conventional paramo analogy, not the light.

rwc03
    Free Member

Thanks a lot guys, have taken the plunge on the alp X, will report back once tested.

Mayhem looked good but heard a few stories of ripped zips and fabric

Dare2B at £40 looks like a bargain but none my size unfortunately.

bigjim

dare2b one looks good, wonder if I can find one in town somewhere as sizes on the website a bit extreme.

Scapegoat

You occasionally find dare2be kit in TKs. I have a nice bamboo softshell and a thicker softshell which I got at bargaintastic prices.

johnellison
    Free Member

It therefore lasts longer than gtx

It also remains waterproof if you puncture it, which a membrane does not.

neninja
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re sorted now. I recently got a Vaude Tiak jacket which I’ve been happy with so far. It’s a little long in the body for me but at 5ft7 and a bit most jackets are.

It doesn’t come with a hood but you can get a removable one for them (I’ve not bothered).

mattjg
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 Montane Velocitys and the zip has failed on both, with only moderate use. Not reliable = useless. (Shame as apart from that they were a great stuff-in-the-pack-and-forget shell).

mattbee

The bike shop at Cannock Chase had a load of Endura waterproofs on a rail with 50% off when I went earlier this week.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What waterproof jacket?’ is closed to new replies.