Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What waterproof breathable shell?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

no need for warmth just dryness

stratman
    Free Member

Anything goretex paclite shell. I use a mountain hardware walking jacket when I need one – does double duty for walking too.

druidh
    Free Member

Goretex Active Shell is currently leading the way. Better than Paclite – which is now being phased out – and (I reckon) slightly better than eVent.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gore-bike-wear/fusion-gore-tex-active-shell-jacket-ec029226

brakes
    Free Member

soooo much money though for what it does and how often you’d wear it.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

do tbc sell them?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gore Active Shell is basically Gore admitting that eVent got it right, but with one difference – Active Shell stops working after a wash.

And then it doesn’t get any better.

eVent may not be perfect, but it keeps working. Needs washing often, but is very, very good.

I’ve just bought one of these –

and I am very impressed. eVent, pit zips and a basic, yet good design. Replacing a lovely, but lost Gill eVent jacket that was very similar.

druidh
    Free Member

My GT Fusion jacket is still working as new after a few washes.

matt_outandabout

What is this ‘stops working after a wash’ nonsense…?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

cfh what is it

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bontrager Event Packable Stormshell.

Matt, from opinions I’ve had in the outdoor/bike industry, Gore Active Shell doesn’t take a reproof. Apparently it works well when new, but not later.

drlex
    Free Member

CFH- looks good; what’s the sizing & fit like? Trying to determine whether I’d be an M or L with just a base layer under it.

prettygreenparrot

My Ground Effect Flash Gordon is working well after a few years. It’s been through the (Nikwax) wash a couple of times but unless the dirt is really ground in I just spray it with a hose or put it in the shower to get the worst off and then give it a warm dry. It’s waterproof enough and breathable enough for most things.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Paclite is a bit plasticy feeling inside so won’t be good against the skin – and it isn’t very robust – especially if you are carrying a rucksack or the like – my paclites have only lasted about 1.5 years before the shoulders wear out under the shoulder straps.

Paclite can also feel cold as there is no insulating factor from the material as it is so thin.

If you come off the paclite is likely to be history as well.

My endura venturi event though is pretty robust – and I have worn it when it has been pretty hot with a short sleeved HH lifa underneath and it breathed ok.

Royston
    Free Member

PACE do a great ‘Event’ shell for 100 quid. Had mine for 6 years waterproofing is only just starting to tire.
    http://pacecycles.easyspaceshops.com/PACE-3×3-eVENT-Mens-Jacket

Incidently, it’s the same price now as it was six years ago.

shredder
    Free Member

Haglofs Endo Active shell here washed and proofed quite a few times now works perfectly.
    In fact its that good breathability wise can nearly wear it every day as a knocking about in hoodie.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Gillet and live with wet arms unless it’s mid winter and I need the warmth.

BadlyWiredDog

Gore Active Shell is basically Gore admitting that eVent got it right, but with one difference – Active Shell stops working after a wash.

I’ve washed and reproofed an early GTX Active Shell jackets numerous times now without any loss of waterproofing. It’d be kind of amazing if a company with Gore’s reputation for thoroughness brought a fabric to market with such a basic flaw. You’d have thought someone would have noticed it.

Amusingly, people say much the same thing about eVent. Often it’s down to either not washing the jacket often enough – dirt/oils screw the DWR – or washing it using the wrong detergents.

I’d say Active Shell and eVent are both as good as it gets, but eVent needs more regular washing and reproofing to keep it happy. NeoShell’s good too, but I’ve never seen a bike-friendly jacket which uses it.

cuberider
    Free Member

My GT Oxygen jacket is still waterproof after a few washes. Superb road cut jacket.

Have yet to properly test it but the Alp X Zip Off Jacket using Windstopper Active Shell is very breathable and waterproof too.

Depends on how hot / sweaty you get but a lot of waterproof jackets don’t breath enough and you end up soaking from within.

d45yth
    Free Member

All this mention of having to wash certain materials often makes me laugh. When I have to wear any waterproof gear, the trails end up muddy…I don’t think I’ve ever wore my jacket and not washed it/had to wash it after a ride.
    I suppose it might be different for road bikers and commuters.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

just bought this to wear over a windproof in dire emergency
    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=53855&categoryID=207

m64ish
    Free Member

When the tough gets going and the going gets though! Bontrager eVent Packable Stormshell really does the job in all acounts! (hold what it promis) 100% wind/waterproof and breathable. Perfekt fit (not too slim and tight) Have 4 a year now, in storm, rain and minus 5degrees (with devol or icebreaker and smartwool underneath) and it does the job best, of all jacket i´d tried (…only one pocket though! Live with that, and its the best cycling jacket! Alternative is Haglofs Endo Active shell, is also very nice 4 trekking) Price!! Think about it as an long term investment 4 years. PS! WASH??? have´nt wash´ed it for a year …why wash? 😉 …wash it with a warm cloth!

huggis
    Free Member

My 2p….just sent a gore paclite jacket back, terrible breathablity. The inside lining has like a rubbery, plastic coating which just doesn’t breath. A cheap windproof, shower proof jacket was betters overall.

What I’ve learned is that the fabric is not the only factor.. Construction (namely lots of venting options) and application (over layering in damp, mild conditions I.e. user error) are just as important

Following a recent multy day tour where is was soaked within an 1 hour each day with paclite whilst my eVent clad buddy was dry I’ve just ordered one of these. ….will let you all know how it goes.

scotroutes

Paclite only really works well over a mid-layer (like a fleece) than can act as a moisture reservoir. FWIW, the newer GoreTex Active Shell is at least as good as eVent.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What waterproof breathable shell?’ is closed to new replies.