Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What waterproof breathable mtb jacket for £100
  • NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Looking for a new waterproof
    I have a mountain equipment Firefox in gore active shell but with all the mud and winter riding and washing it’s getting trashed.
    Resorted to an old paclite jacket it’s years old but a good old bit of kit starting to let in across the shoulders.
    What’s worth having anything on the sales
    Like pit vents and a pocket but not too fussy
    Is any of the Madison stuff worth buying?

tom.nash

Either the Sweet Protection Air or the Keela Saxon; used both and both are bloody brilliant, just depends on what features you want. With a proper layering system underneath this is the max I have needed over two Scottish winters.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Cheers Tom I wouldnt have thought of keela but that looks a good jacket for the money.

alibongo001

I have found the Altura attack to be quite good – lasted a couple of years

ceepers

Madison addict is really good

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    duncancallum

I’ve one of these
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/omm-kamleika-race-smock-ii/

Missus got one for fell running n I’ve lusted after one so I got one at Xmas.

It’s ace, light waterproof and is not all flappy. Pads down small too. I love it

siloseven
    Free Member

madison addict 3 layer jacket is excellent

jimmy

I’ve been looking for a while now since I lost mine. I like a nice simple jacket, no fussy pockets, a hood seems mostly irrelevant on the bike, not too athletic a fit but not too baggy. I think I’ve decided on an altura attack 180 (which might be new this season?) but yet to go try on for size.

The keela saxon looks good for the money and reviews but doesn’t fit my criteria as well. I’ve been hovering over the button on that a few times.

jimmy

That pace is one rear pocket shy of being perfect – loved the last event3 jacket I had (Gill)

justatheory
    Free Member

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m10b0s355p11962/MADISON_Addict_Waterproof_Jacket

Riding mate has the Madison and it looks good. Bargain for £90!

dufusdip
    Free Member

I’ve not got a huge experience as I had a goretex from 20 years ago that was a small fortune but was still a bit boil in the bag. Took a punt on this when it was first launched, so was a bit cheaper, but I have been impressed how much materials have come on. I use a merino layer underneath and it is superb and surprisingly waterproof despite the lack of taped seams. I have found I need a second layer when it gets down to freezing, but just another option. Think it was aimed at roadies, but works well on mtb

Galibier

dmorts

Madison Addict 3 Layer is great

stuker
    Free Member

+1 for keela saxon…..love it. weighs next to nothing and works brilliantly. Previous jacket i had was a boil in bag job but the Saxon really is breathable. great fit as well

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

That pace is one rear pocket shy of being perfect

how many rear pockets are you after ?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i got a madison addict for this winter too, it’s not really what i’d call lightweight but it’s very waterproof and reasonable on the breathability (nice big chest/pit vent zips to allow air flow if it’s not chucking it down). i like having the option of the removable hood too.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced the old version of this with the new version – the old one has a hole in the elbow from an off, which once repaired will be my MTB jacket (new one is for road only for now). Not many features, but nicely cut and a rear pocket. Ran in it yesterday, and the jacket was dry inside afterwards (I’m not a sweaty person though). I wouldn’t say it’s the most rugged fabric, so if you fall off a lot, I’d look elsewhere.

Gore at Wiggle

I did read that the OP has a GoreTex Active jacket already, but my old Gore jacket got washed many, many times and was fine until I put a hole in it.

hora
    Free Member

Is the Addict breathable like a decent gortex or event? £100 is alot to spend otherwise.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

breathability (nice big chest/pit vent zips to allow air flow if it’s not chucking it down).

^^This!^^^

Fabric is only a part of it. eVent is the best for breathability, but nothing beats good ventilation.

dmorts

The Addict is breathable as far as I can tell. I find it very comfortable, no boil in the bag effect.

jam-bo
    nickc

Don’t overlook the Endura Helium, used mine on a rainy 3 hour walk last week and was bone dry when I got home. Lovely lightweight, and properly waterproof, and you can get them for about £85 if you hunt around

shaungero
    Free Member

Another one for the Maddison Addict, great jacket

km79
    Free Member

Less than favourable review of the keela Saxon

http://www.fullysussed.co.uk/fully-sussed-news/keela-saxon-jacket-second-less-favourable-impressions

Hard to take anything they say seriously when accompanied by shite like this ‘For a Scottish jacket, with all their blue-faced Braveheart cobblers this is not very impressive. ‘.

stevedoc
    Free Member

No so much a cycle jacket but the Forclaz 400 from Decathlon is brilliant , my last one lasted years till this week when I broke the zip , replaced it Friday and went out today with it on in god aweful down pours , back to blighty and all dry as a bone , best £70 spent ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4gMKoHoO_w

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi all thanks for all the info.
    Looking at what’s available I think I going more in traditional loose fit rather than the slim cut more roadie style.
    I’m very tempted by the Madison or the keela
    Have read the review and although the jacket got damaged it didnt give a negative review of its water resistance or breatability
    My own gore active shell jacket has 2 holes both from fairly small encounters with the undergrowth or the ground. It’s a trade off I guess for very light fabric.
    The keela is available for £65 so probably worth a punt.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Good Singletrack Keela review if you hunt about.

philfive
    Free Member

I’ve got a Hagloff L.I.M proof which is really good.

iainc

The Madison Flux Superlite is pretty good and very breathable too

1timmy1
    Free Member

I started a similar thread and ended up with the Madison Flux Superlite. Not had a chance to test it yet but the material feels really nice and it had pockets and pit vent holes. Got it for £77 from Denis Winter on Amazon.

jimmy

Less than favourable review of the keela Saxon

That’s really not a review.

how many rear pockets are you after

That’s in tick box terms. None would be ideal – the rear of a waterproof jacket isn’t the place fit a pocket IMO.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I picked up a Berghaus Vapour a Storm jacket for £99 from thehutoutlet shop on eBay……thehut.com are selling exactly the same jacket through their main site/shop fir £138….. So only go via eBay!

billysugger
    Free Member

Can anyone who owns the Madison Addict tell me if they are generally long in the sleeve?

I got monkey arms.

grey

I have a Madison Flux superlight and it’s standing up well to Scottish rain and seems quite breathable.
    The Madison rep told me they don’t stand up well to crashes, but I’ve crashed four times in it so far and it’s fine 😀

adsbatts89
    Free Member

Some of the Decathlon hiking outer shell jackets are really good. I paid £80 for mine and its spot on.

ceepers

The addict is pretty short in the sleeves actually. It’s a fairly slim cut all over. Spent three hours in the pouring rain very comfortably in mine the other day

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Trespass have some deals on at the moment on waterproof jackets.
    http://www.trespass.com/mens-walsenburg-03431
    Not exactly an mtb jacket,it has a hood and no rear pocket,quality is good.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What waterproof breathable mtb jacket for £100’ is closed to new replies.