Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What water proof shell
  • jameswilliams54
    Free Member

My 3 year oldish berghaus vapour storm is starting to wet through even after proofing
    Great jacket that I got really cheap from sports pursuit and would ideally like something similar again (lightweight breathable waterproof)

So what’s worth looking at (I like a hood if possible)
    For around £100

hainman
    Free Member

If it was me I would be over to the nearest decathlon and look at the Forclaz 400
    I bought one after looking at the likes of the Madison Addict,Raceface jacket,Endura MT500 etc,All in the region of 120-150 quid,The decathlon was £60 and I’ve ridden with it in some right sh1t weather in Scotland over the last few months and it hasn’t missed a beat and it’s pretty much identical to my mates £140
    Madison Addict

robcolliver
    Free Member

I’ve been in the Endura MT500 for most of the winter, and I did some rides down a negative 15 (with a down jacket underneath), some rides in the wind, some rides in circles where the rain has been at my front, sides and rear and I can safely say this is not a bad jacket.

I can get the zips up and down with thick gloves on, the only thing I would like would be bigger wrist closure flaps so I can grab the tabs easier when I’m doing the ‘pit vents.

The hood is slow to roll up so I tuck it inside the jacket and leave it unrolled.

Oh, it also breathes as well as my last couple of eVent jackets!

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I have a local decathlon so will check that out.
    Experiance with most “walking” jackets is that I get soaked from the inside out.
    MT500 does look good and I saw the STW review the other day but £170 is to steep

BadlyWiredDog

Gore-Tex is guaranteed waterproof for life, it shouldn’t be leaking. I’d chase up the guarantee – drop a line to Berghaus direct if Sport Pursuit can’t help – and see if you can sort out a replacement.

You won’t get anything as breathable as GTX Active Shell for £100 unless it’s cheap off eBay or Sport Pursuit or a similar discount outlet. If you like the Vapour Storm, I’d maybe set up an eBay alert and see what comes up in the next few weeks.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Hi BWD many thanks for the above I’ve just been reading through the gore rex customer promise and will certainly be following that up with SP.

Looking at my purchase history the jacket isn’t even 3 years old and is still in excellent condition overall so I would argue that it should still be within its useful life.

honourablegeorge

I got a Gore-Tex actibe shell for 120 euro on Wiggle a while back and I’m absolutely delighted with it.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Pace

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

OK so bringing this back to life, I just got an email from sportpursuit to say that berghaus found a leak in the membrane which cannot be repaired or unfortunately replaced.
    So I will get a refund.
    Thanks to BWD for the heads up on goretex usable life Warrenty.

So now got a bit more in the pot to play with any recommendations or sales on anything as good or better than the vapour storm (its now twice what I paid for it)

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve got an alpkit gravitas jacket that I’m very happy with, slightly over your budget at £140 though.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Cheers Gary forgot about alpkit I’m near the new store to check it out to

highlandman
    Free Member

Keela Saxon. Properly lightweight and the best breathing jacket I’ve ever used, great fit, much lighter and a bit more breathable than the MT500.
    Much more weather proof than it has any right to be at that weight and I’ve used it for two years so far in some stinking conditions.
    Added bonus: made in the UK and cheap, as you can buy direct from the factory.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Go Outdoors have Montane Atomic @ £80 atm

ricardo666
    Free Member

I bought an ex military jacket from militarymart.co.uk at a stall at last years bloodstock festival. Been excellent so far.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Keela is new to me and looks pretty good for the price but as alpkit has 3 years warranty (1 for keela)
    I’m more tempted by that for the extra £40

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What water proof shell’ is closed to new replies.