Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)
  • What watch for about £1000
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

Obviously second hand . I like the tag heuer watches as its been a while since I sold my monaco. Can’t seem to find another for my budget so what would all the watch guys on here recommend? It’s also going to be worn everyday in construction work hence why my budget is where it is. Thanks.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Seamaster?

Jamie
    Free Member

Obviously second hand .

Obviously… 8)

weeksy

I can’t wait for the rest of this thread now 🙂 i thought Friday was going to be dull !

perchypanther
    Free Member

Obviously second hand

I’d up your budget and try and get one with a minute hand and an hour hand as well.

finbar
    Free Member

It’s also going to be worn everyday in construction work

Sensible answer – G-Shock.

Sensible answer assuming you want something mechanical – Sinn.

I’d want a rubber band rather than a bracelet if I was wearing it for manual labour.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s also going to be worn everyday in construction work hence why my budget is where it is

So, not a mechanical watch then.

TBH dude, save yourself a lot of Hasslehof and get a solid Casio for the ‘site.

allthepies
    Free Member

A £1K watch when it’s going to get knocked about ? Get a posh one for outside work, g-shock for taking the knocks at work.

IMO 🙂

fd3chris
    Free Member

Ive got a gshock and a few other watches like that but I have the urge to get another nice one. I agree on the rubber strap as I’m very active during the day . I’ve looked to the sea masters and they are quite nice. Any other suggestions welcome as I’ve very out of touch with what is a good buy and what isn’t and I know there are quite a few knowledgeable people on here. I can and will protect it at work, it’s just when I had my monaco I was so worried about scratching it that it ended up in the drawer all the time. This time I want to spend a little less and actually enjoy it for a change.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Gshock atomic solar with the metal bracelet if you want the posh look. Seriously anything else in construction is going to take a beating so whilst you could wear a Seiko Monster or a variety of dearer autos the Gshock is still the wise choice.
    Then buy a nice watch for your leisure time.
    If you insist on a nice watch for house bashing or whatever then look for a second hand Damasko, hardened steel, much harder than most others. I’ve a DA47 and whilst I’m careful with it it’s unmarked. I’ve yet to hear of one showing significant wear. On watch forums a decent one will be c£650.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks Dave I will have a look.

onewheelgood

Junghans Force Mega Solar. Ceramic case, ceramic/rubber strap. Hard to scratch.

onandon
    Free Member

Id say a Sinn if you have to use it for work. Personally I’d go with a G for work if you know it will get battered.
    I have a few Older tags and like them a lot, however I wouldn’t buy a newer one and the prices have just gone mad over the past few years.
    I paid 1k for my Monaco 12 years ago, It would be 5k to replace it now.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Ceramic is super brittle and could cause nasty injuries if it shatters or gets crushed against you.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I do miss my monaco. I’ve found one for less than a grand but it’s not in the best shape and the seller won’t commit to papers etc. Thanks for all the suggestions so far .

franksinatra

I’d up your budget and try and get one with a minute hand and an hour hand as well.

Doffs cap

jekkyl

Does your mobile phone tell the time?
    Is your mobile phone in your pocket pretty much 100% of the time?
    Can you spare the 3/4 seconds it will take to take your phone out of your pocket?

deepreddave
    Free Member

I’ve a builder mate who went through 6 phones in a year so maybe buy a Rolex, it’ll be cheaper in the long run and will increase in value the more battered it looks.
    Sinn are nicer looking in some respects but don’t have the hardened steel Damaskos do.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Does your mobile phone tell the time?

I don’t get this “you don’t need a watch if you have a phone” business?

I don’t get the £1000 watch business either.

Or the £500 smartphone, I have one but work pays for it.

£100 Seiko Solar Divers for me. The best time keeper I have had. Loses a few seconds a month. Pretty bomb proof to.

nickdavies
    Free Member

Lot of love for g shock here.. look at the new g steel. £300, I’m not a g shock fan but I like those.

£1000 is a tricky price point these days. There’s a lot there that’s not great. Longines hydro conquest is that kind of money, to me around there new the best bang for buck for a watch that will take the abuse is an Oris aquis. Waterproof, sapphire glass, robust case and bracelet, automatic.

My emails in my profile drop me a mail if anything Oris appeals to you – I could also help scratch your Monaco itch… 😉

peajay

I’ve got a seamaster that lives in it’s box, just doesn’t do it for me any more although it’s a keeper, had various G-shock solars that are great beaters. I love my current watch a Marathon TSAR, might not be auto but at least it keeps good time, not lost anytime in 4 months and is tritium and looks great on a nato, what’s not to like!

eemy
    Free Member

I have one of these. Casio PRW5100

It’s quite big, but quite comfy too. Closer to £100 than £1,000 mind you.

toby1

If you are going to get something, at least make sure it looks good

I guess you could buy one secondhand to fit your specification, but you could also just buy it new for under your stated budget 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I’d get 10 £100 watches. At least you wouldn’t get bored with looking at the same face every day. Then again, you wouldn’t be able to look at the time and go “Let me just check the time on my £1000 watch” to yourself, so that probably wouldn’t work if you’re that type of person.

righog
    Free Member

Straton Synco///They have a touch of the Monaco about them

2 versions automatic and quartz with a couple of sizes available 44 and 40 mm with a few options on colour including PVD.

I have been looking at these for a while, but unless i win the lottery, I dont think I will be buying any watches that arn’t smart ( Fenix ambit apple etc ) 🙁

Straton Website

Straton syncor on Kickstater

onandon
    Free Member

Sinn are nicer looking in some respects but don’t have the hardened steel Damaskos do.

The sinn tegimented version is about as hard as steel gets.

jsync

I’ve just ordered one of these..

Stowa

deepreddave
    Free Member

on and on – Member
    The sinn tegimented version is about as hard as steel gets.

Fair point The tegimented process is surface hardening only and I think c1200 Vickers whereas the Damasko ice-hardening process is only 800 but hardens the case through and through. In reality I’ve seen more scratches and nicks on Sinns but both are very good. The steel Damasko uses isn´t the very common 316L (known also as surgery or dentist steel), which is an austenitic steel but a martensitic steel. Sinn use the harder submarine steel on some models too. Whatever floats your boat really 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

What about this?

It’s powered by burning artisan wood pellets.

plyphon
    Free Member

If going new, under £1k – my money would be on ChristopherWard. UK designed, great movements. Not building site friendly though.

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/watches/dive/c60-trident-pro-600-range

I’ve been eyeing up this one myself:
    https://www.christopherward.co.uk/c60-trident-pro-600-vintage-33

Looks amazing on the leather.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Am I the only person that thinks £1000 for something to tell you the time is a bit over the top?

In a world where it’s hard to avoid seeing the time I just don’t get it.

Each to their own of course.

steve-g
    Free Member

Have you considered getting an MX5, or a girlfriend?

JAG

I do like that c60 Trident on the Brown leather strap.

However I always think a watch maker has missed a trick when they make a mechanical/automatic movement without a transparent cover on the rear. I love to look at the movement in my watch 😆

BobaFatt
    Free Member

For construction, a G-Shock and save yourself 900 quid, unless you’re in the construction of fancy overprices trousers, then you obviously need a second hand omega to go with the twiddly mustache and ample sailor tattoos

kayak23

tiggs121 – Member
    Am I the only person that thinks £1000 for something to tell you the time is a bit over the top?

It’s not for telling the time.

DezB
    Free Member

No, you’re the only person who didn’t read the whole thread.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Who could resist having 83 of these beauties? 😆

warton
    Free Member

I’ve just bought an Aquaracer, new with the black face and black bezel.

my first expensive watch, and i love it, but not for manual labour. I’d be a Seiko Crono for that.

Kamakazie

What sort of style do you like? Mainly a crono like the Heuer or do you prefer something like a diver?

Timefactors is a great website for a varied set of well designed, limited edition pieces designed and built by a guy in the UK (using a variety of movements from bigger manufacturers).

jekkyl

get one that when you press a button tells you the date. I had one like that when I was 11. pretty handy that is, when you’re unsure what the date is.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘What watch for about £1000’ is closed to new replies.