Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • What watch for £125?
  • fionap

As above, for a 60th birthday present (helping my mum choose for my dad). Any suggestions? She has been looking at the John Lewis website – Rotary look like the best option there for the budget, perhaps.

Nico
    Free Member

Five Casios.

jam-bo

snda57p1

deepreddave
    Free Member

Can’t beat Seiko at that price but budget for a possible 30% extra if it’s coming through customs from abroad as you might get caught depending on the courier.

Orient watches (on Amazon) are a subsidiary of Seiko and do some nice automatic dress watches if he wants that kind of thing.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Can second Creation if you see something you like.

Excellent service and no customs duties.

jimdubleyou

Can’t beat Seiko at that price but budget for a possible 30% extra if it’s coming through customs from abroad as you might get caught depending on the courier.

Creation have been quite “creative” with their descriptions when I bought from them.

e.g. “timing device” value USD20.

fionap

Thanks for the advice, will look at Creation. Didn’t realise Orient were a subsidiary of Seiko – had dismissed them previously so will look again!
    I guess we’re looking for an automatic, analogue display, leather/fabric strap, casual-ish watch.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Probably a Seiko at that price point.

You shouldn’t get stung for import tax from creation, as has been said, mine was delivered as a ‘Measuring Device’ value $20

Get an auto if you can, so much nicer than a quartz, a little bit of clever engineering on your wrist.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Orient watches aren’t really a subsidiary of Seiko watches they’re just both owned by the Seiko Group corporation.

Which in no way helps this thread but if you’re looking for something slightly dressy you could do a lot worse than a Mk1 Orient Bambino at that price.

breadcrumb

I’ve got my eye on a Skagen Melbye around that money. Although realistically a G-Shock would suit me better for everyday purposes.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^ Skagen look very sleek in a minimalist sort of a way. I love mine

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Yobokies custom and a nice leather strap

unovolo
    Free Member

you could do a lot worse than a Mk1 Orient Bambino at that price

+1

Very nice looking watch for not a lot, keep threatening to get one for myself.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

That’s the mk2 which I’m not overly keen on. The mk1 is reviewed here.

And looks like this:

I’ve got one, it’s ace.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Stainless steel Citizen Eco-Drive? Still enjoying mine 11 years on with no probs.

quite a few styles available at that price, including a black stainless steel.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    snda57p1

This is correct. You’ll need a proper NATO strap, though. Timefactors are the best out there.

hugo
    Free Member

I’d also look at a Seiko/Orient auto at that price. The Bambino above is an excellent choice.

Have used Creation a couple of times and the service/speed is fantastic.

Or, maybe something like a Seiko solar if looking for a fancier design – this one’s £131. Hard without a bit of style guidance…

fionap

So I’ve got a few more specifications…
    – clear face
    – simple (date is useful, any other dials will be surplus to requirements)
    – slim/small-ish – his wrists aren’t massive

The Bambino is nice but a bit too dressy.

Does anyone have experience of Hamilton or Mondaine? Liking the look of the following, and they’re comparatively slim/small:

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/hamilton-watches-250/hamilton-khaki-h68411533-3605.html
    and
    http://www.johnlewis.com/mondaine-a6673034411sbb-unisex-evo-quartz-leather-strap-watch-black-white/p89217
    or
    http://www.johnlewis.com/mondaine-a6673030816sbb-unisex-sport-line-leather-strap-watch-black-white/p89213

Skagen Ancher is another option:
    http://www.watchshop.com/mens-skagen-ancher-relaxed-watch-skw6082-p99966471.html

hugo
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of the Mondaine’s. They’re just a bit Belgian Tax Accountant for my taste!

That Hamilton is a nice looking watch. It’s quartz which is why it’s not 3 times the price, but that’s what happens when a brand name and budget clash.

If you’re looking for a similar looking watch, but want an auto, and not quite so fussed with the brand (although I think Seikos are fantastic and personally rather have an auto), then maybe something like this:

here

With the change spent on a nice strap from Hirsch?

Or gasgasbones? British made an everything, one of these would look sharp and be very custom, so good for a pressie.

CaptJon
    Free Member

There are some interesting watches here. The postage from the US might be a problem though. I just got this one:

Nadir Watch

fionap

I’m not a fan of the Mondaine’s. They’re just a bit Belgian Tax Accountant for my taste!

That Hamilton is a nice looking watch. It’s quartz which is why it’s not 3 times the price, but that’s what happens when a brand name and budget clash.

If you’re looking for a similar looking watch, but want an auto, and not quite so fussed with the brand (although I think Seikos are fantastic and personally rather have an auto), then maybe something like this:
    Yeah, had been looking at that watch but hadn’t thought about swapping the strap out in advance – might be a plan. My only concern is the size/thickness of the Seiko.

I like the Projects watches but they’re a bit too funky – I’d have one for myself though!

hugo
    Free Member

My only concern is the size/thickness of the Seiko.

It’s 40.5mm and 12mm thick compared to 38mm x 8mm for the Hamilton.

Good reason for it though, it’s got a lot of fancy looking cogs in there:

Personally I prefer a bigger watch, and that is the prevailing fashion, but of course individual tastes (and wrist sizes) apply.

I know it’s way out of budget, but it’s a shame you couldn’t stretch to something like this!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Skagen

njee20
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of the Mondaine’s. They’re just a bit Belgian Tax Accountant for my taste

They’re Swiss Railway watches. so more Swiss train driver, but yeah I can see why they’d not appeal.

What annoys me about them is that the SBB platform clocks have a sweep second hand which pauses for a second at the 12.00 point each minute. Mondaine watches/clocks don’t.

hugo
    Free Member

You think they’d do that. Gimics, and clever in the know stories, sell and that’s a nice one.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I only have small wrists, but I have had one of these for a while now.
    https://www.firstclasswatches.co.uk/seiko-mens-titanium-sgg711p9-p-6541/?gclid=CJHox6fmhskCFQsTGwodt0oCgQ

Seiko Titanium, much nicer to wear than a steel watch.

njee20
    Free Member

You think they’d do that. Gimics, and clever in the know stories, sell and that’s a nice one

Agreed. I was really disappointed they don’t. I like trains, and I like the SBB clocks, so they appealed (and we have a kitchen one I paid £3 for!). They go to the effort of licensing the logo and the exact appearance, but not the action.

Edit: I’m doing them a disservice – their “Stop2Go” range are close – a more jerky second hand still, but they do the ‘pause’ whilst the minute hand ticks, significantly more expensive than the basic ones though

wallop

I like Daniel Wellington.

gearfreak
    Free Member

How about one of these from Kickstarter

toppers3933
    Free Member

Hugo what is the 2nd watch in your post just up there^^ with the green face?

dooosuk
    Free Member
    fooman

Swatch Irony Body & Soul?

toppers3933
    Free Member

Cheers. Liking that a lot.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘What watch for £125?’ is closed to new replies.