Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • What was/is the prettiest one-one frame?
  • tinsy
    Free Member

I might have stopped him from posting, sorry PP..

he broke a chianstay after some massive chainsucking issues, he had it replaced… made it lovely again.

sv

Yes I had a look at some previous threads and all is now clear apart from where the welding and painting was carried out.

titusrider
    Free Member

ive not seen a pretty one yet….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

he broke a chianstay after some massive chainsucking issues, he had it replaced… made it lovely again

Yeah, that's about it. A badly designed chainstay that left virtually no chainring clearence and made the slightest chainsuck a VERY BIG problem snapped the chainstay in a year. I had a new one put in (Argos Cycles, Bristol) and the shape changed at my request. I lost 2-3mm of mud room and gained a lot more chainring room. That was 2 years ago and I simply don't get chainsuck any more. There's literally 2-3 smal chips in the paint on the stay in all that time.

The old stay, after 1 year. I just couldn't stop the chainsuck. No chinring clearence at all, and a rather poor chainline as well.

The new shape stay: It's just straighter, that's all. The fancy bend is a waste of time.

I was replacing chainrings at the first sign of chainsuck before, now I can leave them until they are utterly knackered with no problem at all.
    I should do some pics of the stay as it is today, to prove the pint, I think. 🙂

Expensive fix on a cheap frame? Yeah, maybe, but I really love that frame. It fits me perfectly, doesn't give me back ache, and rides better than any other hardatil I've ever had. And it's still only cost me £150 a year so far, and how many people waste 10 times that in a year buying and selling stuff all the time?
    I'll never sell it, it's a keeper. 😀

sv

Lovely paint job and the 'fix' looks good too. Is the Argos paintjob holding up ok?

MrSmith
    Free Member

badly designed. a bit of extra mudroom is pointless if your stay only lasts a year.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The Argos paint is, IMO, superb. It's dulled slightly, and there's the odd scuff, but that bike is my main ride and sees all conditions all year round, so that's to be expected. I'd say it'll last at least 2-3 more years before it starts looking worn. When I built the bike up I dropped my HT2 BB spanner on the top tube and it didn't leave any mark at all.

badly designed. a bit of extra mudroom is pointless if your stay only lasts a year.

Oh yes. And mine isn't the only one. Most 853 Inbreds suffered chainsuck problems to some degree. No matter, it's fixed now. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘What was/is the prettiest one-one frame?’ is closed to new replies.