• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What washing powder for Swinley Forest?
  • banana
    Free Member

What’s in the mud at Swinley Forest which makes it hard to wash out? Last weekend I got quite muddy. The top I was wearing has been through the wash twice and the towel I used after my shower are now both stained orangey-brown. Obviously I didn’t shower as carefully as what I might have done if half the mud ended up on the towel!

neilwheel
    Free Member

Did you use water in the washing process?

stoffel
    Free Member

Iron. A bugger to get out of lohes. Sometimes, it’s there permanently.

weeksy

It’s dirt riding kit, within 3 mins next time out it will be dirty again.

Chicks dig dirt.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Soak in a bucket of napisan..
    Leave it in for a couple of days, stick it in the wash as normal with your usual liquid or powder. Add some napisan too.

You can get napisan from Sainsburys..its normally down the baby isle.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep, soak it. Don’t know thy, the orange dirt has unique staining properties.

Napkins an is what I use, sometimes have to even gIve it a good scrub too, if it’s feeling particularly stubborn.

tonyd

Only seems to be on the new trails, where did they get the material from for them? It’s like it has builders sand mixed in there. The Swinley mud of old might have worn your drivetrain to nothing in about 5 minutes flat but it wouldn’t have stained your undercrackers!

hooli

Just wash and wear it again, as long as it doesn’t smell then who cares.

I am more concerned about what the mud/sand at swinley does to my bike, it seems to be the most effective grinding paste known to man.

stoffel
    Free Member

Only seems to be on the new trails, where did they get the material from for them? It’s like it has builders sand mixed in there.

The stuff that destroys your brake pads in seconds. I’m loathe to ride Swinley in the wet, for this very reason.

Veero
    Free Member

Luckily I went to Swinley in the wet wearing mostly dark coloured riding gear so if it was marked fortunatley it’s not visible, my boxers however were not so lucky, the backside of which looks like a particularly violent shart after a night out on the curry!

Definitely only going there in the dry in future. Might try the Napisan idea, since it defeated the previously unbeatable Vanish pre-soak stain remover spray we have.

DT78
    Free Member

Lol exactly the same issue on my brand new top! 3 washes with vanish and still orangy brown stains on the white bits. Dont wear white there….! Will try napisan

thepurist

If you’re really that bothered just wear orange/brown/black gear there. But are you really worried what colour mud is on your kit?

natrix
    Free Member

Only seems to be on the new trails, where did they get the material from for them?

From the quarry near Lower Start Post.

tonyd

But are you really worried what colour mud is on your kit?

Yes! My bright white skin suit is ruined. Instead of moving when I scream STRAVA those children will just laugh at me.

DT78
    Free Member

well it ‘was’ that lovely white/red chervoned morvelo jersey that I also use for road duties. From now on drab boring jerseys for swinley…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What washing powder for Swinley Forest?’ is closed to new replies.