Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • What was your most surprising live band experience?
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

Best and most surprising was Bon Iver announcing that he was going to play a cover from an old english band. Turned out to be I Believe in You by Talk Talk, a song they never played live themselves. It’s been my favourite record for the last 20 years, but I never expected to hear any of it live. I may have cried 😳

noteeth
    Free Member

Not that I really expected him to fail, but Jarvis Cocker – quite simply – ruling the crowd at Glastonbury 1995 with his slender, pointy-fingered awkwardness (Pulp having replaced the apparently kaput Stone Roses).

theotherjonv

I saw him the night before – at this distance > – < 🙂

And he did rule, but that was no surprise.

Actually i just thought of another.

Glastonbury again. I walked into one of the smaller tents to see what had drawn such a crowd. And there was a bloke on stage, with a Bontempi and a massive papier mache head. Very surprising, utterly ‘fantastic’! You know it was, it really was!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    noteeth
    Free Member

one of the smaller tents… a Bontempi and a massive papier mache head

Pretty much the essence of what makes Glasto good… 😀

catshoe
    Free Member

Recently? Went to see some twee band I had heard on MySpace – The Joy Formidable – and the wall of fuzzy feedback blew me away even before the lead singer got down on her hands and knees to control the squall from the effects pedals. Wow, been to see them 4 times now, with 5 and 6 looming, they keep getting better

Years ago? as a teenager, went to see Mott the Hoople and the support band was some crew called, er….QUEEN…yes that’s the one. First UK tour, just released Seven Seas of Rye, and yes, they were THAT good…

Nick

Bjork in the GMEX Manchester 1998ish, shite, shockingly so, left and went to a pub, so did a lot of people.

nickc

Richpenny, that sums up for me what live music should do. Nice one.

Been listening to Blood Bank over the last couple of weeks, Woods freaks me out everytime…

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Bad Manners, Busta Bloodvesel is amazing 🙂 he got aload of people to shave there heads was well funny

NZCol

Surprising in a “oh my GOD how bad is this” way
    Evan Dando, Wellington, 2008. Incredibly bad, he should maybe lay off the skunk before he does a live show.

shoefiti
    Free Member

I think it was Primal Scream in I think 1992 at Glastonbury – got lost in a hedge for a couple of hours prior due to being ripped to the tits on 3 microdots – i think it was good – that’s the way i remember it anyway – oh happy days.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Went to see the Stranglers last year in Inverness – they were excellent.

But the surprising part was the support act. Starbase 109. Complete with anti-radiation helmets. Just plain **** weird.

Must admit, I enjoyed their set too!

Joxster
    Free Member

The worst was Paul Weller, it was dull, boring and very happy clappy. I didn’t recognise any songs he played. It’s a close second with REM, saw them at Cardiff and they were tame. The support of Belly was fantastic as was Del Amitri Saw REM again at Milton Keynes and it was like watching a different band.

The best has to be ACDC, saw them at the O2 and they were so full of energy. Closely followed by INXS or Kiss.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘What was your most surprising live band experience?’ is closed to new replies.