• This topic has 61 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by jwt.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • What was your last Can't Put Down Down Book and why? (don't spoil the ending)
  • ingwerfuchs
    Free Member

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson

Funny, heartwarming, great snippets from history, adventure, booze and a love story too.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Wool

Amazing book. Exciting concept a bit big brother / hunger games ish

Struggling on the second book though.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Gripping read, I won’t spoil the ending for you.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

The Night Circus – Erin Morgenstern

Miss it greatly.

TM

ononeorange

Current one, although not got to the end yet – the sleepwalkers.

Heavy old thing to carry around, though!

garage-dweller

The hundred year old man who climbed out of a window and disappeared by Jonas jonasson

Reason: if I told you it would spoil it but is so madly improbable and pushes coincidence and historical fabrication to heights n normally reserved for Hollywood but in a way that makes it better not turgid.

Closely followed by the unusual (or was it the strange) pilgrimage of Harold fry.

A light read but tinged with a little sadness.

Northwind

z1ppy – Member

I really like Stevenson, only got a couple more of his to read but am always scared they won’t be as good as the others (which has happened)..

Reamde deals with this “not as good as he used to be” issue in a very efficiently self-contained way, you realise halfway through it’s not as good as it used to be. Remember in Snow Crash, there’s a bit where Hiro is escaping from the white supremacists and he just writes “And after that, it’s just a chase scene”? Well, halfway through Reamde, that should have happened, but instead there’s a 300 page chase scene. Not a bad one, but… The start is brilliant, the end isn’t.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Victoria Hislop has written 3 novels , all of which I couldn’t put down and all of them educated me about things I knew little about . The Spanish Civil War , Leprosy and the Greek Turkish clashes after WW1 .

For some reason I don’t usually read women authors but my wife got me into these books .

jambourgie
    Free Member

For some reason I don’t usually read women authors

😀

crankboy
    Free Member

I just read the hundred year old man it has taken me ages which says more about me and my life than the book I loved it . Unputdownable books for me are either trash Bernard Cornwall or David Gemell or Ian banks .

MrWoppit
    Free Member

ingwerfuchs – Member
    The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson

Funny, heartwarming, great snippets from history, adventure, booze and a love story too.

This was recommended to me by a friend. Might well be next. Hmmmmm….

TheBrick
    Free Member

Razzle. February 1999.

Fantombiker

A Single Shot by Matthew F. Jones

matt_outandabout

Two good uns this year so far.

iain1775
    Free Member

Another vote for anything Cormac McCarthy here
    After the thread the other week I picked up The Road for 99p on ebay
    Read it in 2 days which is very unusual for me, awesome book
    Soon as I finished I ran to the library to find they didnt have any of his in stock
    Straight back on ebay, got No Country for old men, read that in 2 days as well, then the next day watched the DVD’s of both the Road and NCFOM
    Now waiting very impatiently for The Crossing trilogy to turn up

noteeth
    Free Member

After many years of vowing to do it, I finally got around to reading Tolstoy’s War and Peace – and the journey of unlikely hero Pierre had me utterly transfixed.

Amazing book.

Now waiting very impatiently for The Crossing trilogy to turn up

The Crossing is CM at his finest (joint-honours with Suttree), IMO.

codybrennan
    Free Member

IHN’s recommendation of “Lonesome Dove”, +1. Brilliant.

tiggs121
    Free Member

codybrennan
    Free Member

“Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell”.

bob_summers

Just finished Simon Winchester’s book about (founder of geology) William Smith. Loved it, surprisingly, as I didn’t know I was interested in geology.

Magnus Mills novels take me a couple of days to get through and I often re-read them.

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Now for Little Miss CFH, it’s this master work

Apart from one ghastly Americanism (Fall, as opposed to Autumn), it’s an utter joy to read with her. Which is just as well, as she really rather likes both reading it herself, and having it read to her, at least three times an hour!

Snap! Amazing book and the first one I bought my weean who is too young to do anything but hit it. Can’t wait til he’s asking me to read it to him.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Cryptonomicon. So many great twists in the plot and such density of information. Like Snowcrash turned up to 11.

jwt
    Free Member

Second ‘The Night Circus’.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘What was your last Can't Put Down Down Book and why? (don't spoil the ending)’ is closed to new replies.