• This topic has 59 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • What was your first ever post on STW
  • watsontony
    Free Member

mine was

watsontony – Member
    can i see a better pic of the calipers please

Posted 6 months ago #

njee20
    Free Member

No idea on the first site, but on the post-hack one it was:

Fizzer: Noirs are heavier and more expensive than XTRs, the GXP bottom brackets are also terrible.

Good luck with that!

As Daffy said, if the M960s are in good nick get them, otherwise just get XT, you could find you’re one of the many people who buys XTR and then is shocked at how much is costs to replace parts!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have tried both Nokon and Gore Ride On. Nokon are a bit fiddly to fit and not actually fully sealed. Also, the “bling” finish starts to wear off very quickly. Performance has been good so far tho’, but according to Nokon they do still need lubing.

Gore are fully sealed (provided you get the sealed version!) and pretty easy to fit, although I did have to drill out the cable stops to run a full length of outer. They don’t need any lubing at all though, so get my “fit and forget” vote. I shopped around and got the long fully sealed version for £30.

binners

I’m not sure. It was in about 1923.

I’ve still got all my own teeth, you know? I used to come here when it was all fields…..

fasthaggis

fasthaggis – Member
    Has anybody done a TransRockies ( or know anyone that’s done one ?
    I have entered for next year and wouldn’t mind getting some first hand info/perspective , from any Brits that have gone across.

Thanks

The replies were very helpful ,I must have just got lucky 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s some odl squishy bikes on Retrobike that are still going strong a long way in to their second decade (Think of some of the early Manitous and the like)

As others have said, a lot of it is down to the quality of manufacture in the frame, but a lot will also come down to the care and attention the bike receives, both when ridden and fettled. And dropped from the roof of a car, of course.

A typo! Oh, teh ironing!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

last on record

mikewsmith – Member
    why people listen to a guy who wears a dress and hears voices in his head beats me

POSTED 4 YEARS AGO #

titusrider
    Free Member

again after the hack:

In the market for an all day ride bike for all uk stuff and maybe alps too. I currently use a 100mm bike for this (not alps) but wanna go with the fashion and at least test some longer travel bikes. current shortlist is something like:
    Ibis Mojo/ Mojo SL
    Titus FTM Alu (although EXO money no object!)
    Intense tracer

The thing is i would like to stay pretty well below 30lbs so that puts the tracer/ blur LT out really. I really wanna know what are the closest competitors to the Mojo. Not really looking at single pivots just FSR and VPP/DW

Thanks

theotherjonv

Not sure of the first, but first post-hack

The wife loves me AND listens to me. She got me a pair of Shimano MW80 winter boots for Xmas. Only trouble is they’re too small and Wiggle won’t have them back in stock until mid March!

So the options:

1/ Return for refund and buy something else
    2/ Return and swap for NW Celcius that are in stock. Opinions?? Have heard a few negatives about them.
    3/ Try to find a shop with them in stock and see if they’ll do a swap anyway – OK, so they’ll be pissed off that they weren’t bought there first but it’s not as if they’d be losing out – the 45’s I’d be returning are also in demand from what i can see. And they’ll make a sale on a pair of cleats too, and there’s a box of left over choc’s as a sweetener too!

Anyone accidentally got a pair of 47’s that are too big?

andrewh
    Free Member

I only joined to use the classifieds.
    Years and years I’ve been subjected to this madness now.
    actually quite fond of it, but don’t tell anyone.

fatalbert
    Free Member

Mine was, What tyre for Pennie Farthing?

teasel
    Free Member

It was a thread that was removed before I could blink.

A man’s gotta know his limitations…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

IIRC my first post was around 2004 and was a question about riders in the cannock area. I miss the old place. 🙁

rickon
    Free Member

YGM

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cannondale Gemini DH

(bikes you wished you’d owned)

Pre hack I think it was a spoiler on a thread selling some lights saying they were cheeper new elswhere. I think it might have been trail rat and I think he sent me a narky e-mail about it.

IHN

Post-hack:

Nearly, can you guess who I used to be?

Pre-hack:

God knows, but it was that long ago that it was probably a ‘what tyres for primordial soup’ question

Saccades
    Free Member

It’s bad, very bad.

The last time I took speed I pulled the girl of my dreams and got her back to my place. I was well out of my league with this lass – and she was promising all types of filthy things too…

However due to my speed intake there was nothing happening down there at all, even after she did some of these filthy things to attempt to get the party started.

The look she gave me in the morning as she walked down the footpath out of my life meant that I never took it again.

haha – that reads bad in and out of context.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Not sure Pre-Hack, but aftewards, it involved arguing with Fred!!

Teetosugars – Member
    Hang on Rudeboy, there are a lot of yus that post over there————>, and over here….

Yes, I am stuck in an office, but thats what helps me by bike bits and pices, infact, thats what help me give Gordon Brown and his cronies 40% of my salary..

As for being an inadequate knobends??

I’d like to think that I’m not..

RustySpanner

I recommended a new curry house to Hora.

He wasn’t impressed. 😀

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Would you take £60 for the rear wheel? Also do you know what the rim is?

Cheers

He never replied 🙁

ton

pre hack, i cant remember.
    post hack……..tuuuuune 8)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCyZoWTf3RI[/video]

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Hell’s teeth, have I been wasting my life for 3 years!!

rogerthecat – Member

Well this is my current and very retro ride (circa early 90’s) too many bits breaking now so it’s dues for a revamp into a commuter bike and the purchase of a new MTB.

Based on a 90’s Kona Cindercone bits with a US Ally frame, still has the Kona Joe’s Cages, bar, stem, saddle, Deore XT groupset, SUP Mavic rims, Tandem spokes (front – oh so tastefully snowflaked!), Project 2 straight forks. Goint to get the old frame repainted and see where it takes me…

Posted 3 years ago #

D0NK

boring

Wahey I’ve finally managed to sign up again. Hello.
    Anyway I’m having trouble setting up my front mech on my new-ish xc120, I’m using a deore (bottom swing i think – the old style clamp at the top) but because of the seattube/chainstay positioning the bottom of the cage hits the chainstay when its mounted in the correct position, I’ve currently got it set too high – the band clamp is actually over one of the bottle bosses, for now I’m using an old friction thumby so it is in a workable state with much tweaking as I shift across the cassette, it’d never work properly with indexed. As far as I know the mech is a standard one.

Just wondering what model front mech other xc120 owners use? miss that bike

Mackem

I put up some pics of a ride, noone replied. 🙁

swavis

pre hack – no idea

post hack,

swavis – Member
    I’m pretty sure Volvo and Saabs’ sidelights come on with the ignition so there ain’t a lot you can do about it.
    Must be all the dark in Sweden

😀

ormondroyd
    Free Member

No idea. I used to regularly appear in the top 10 most frequent posters, to my slight embarrassment

psling
    Free Member

GoFar days, no idea.

Post hack:

psling – Member
    Mincing in the quarry ~ just reliving the body-swerve around the wee tree half way down, eh?

nedrapier

Post hack: criticising Fred for coming acrss as a bit of an arse on a thread about Scottish avalanche fatalities.

😐

I have to say that kennyp’s responses have been fair, well reasoned and pragmatic.

Rudeboy’s attitude reminds me of a headline in The Sun about avalanches:

“When will these extreme sports fanatics learn to stay away from the French Alps?”

Tracey

Post hack

All loaded up, apart from the bikes, and ready for off. After 7 years of spending time biking over the new years hols in Wales, we decided to see what Scotland has to offer. We are staying in Peebles. Doing Newcastleton on the way up, Glentress on Tues and Wed, not made our minds up for where to ride Thurs and Fri
    Whats the weather been like ? If your up there give us a wave, you wont miss Abigales pink Reign

Happy New Year to all

KonaTC

No idea on the original site which got hacked over 4 years ago, but

Kona TC – Member
    Thought new forum so new name

Kona TC = represents my Kona The King fitted with 4″ of Talent Compensation at both ends, which has saved me on many occasions.

Andsome would say still does 😀

wordnumb
    Free Member

Any singletrack away from roads / traffic.
    Ideally leading toward a decent pub.

bruneep

pre hack….pfftt no idea.

Post hack

bruneep – Member
    What about a subscription login where the payer sees less or no adverts?

POSTED 4 YEARS AGO #

Hah! I should be due a fee for that idea.

bigyinn
    Free Member

See always trying to help me. (Post hack, pre hack no idea)

bigyinn – Member

Gently file them off?
    Posted 4 years ago #

meehaja
    Free Member

old old site, no idea, but my history now goes back 4 years and offers up..

“I knew a guy who got a orange 224 in a chinquecento… he also used it to arry his full drum kit around. you can get anybike in any car. Fact.”

I_Ache
    Free Member

Pre hack

It was a post asking where I could get a shock shuttle for an 05 Enduro from. I think SSS sent me one for free. I think it was SSS anyway.

Post hack

I_Ache – Member
    I just got a lovely pair of SH wotans from Swiftacular. They look fantastic.

POSTED 4 YEARS AGO #

Blackhound

Don’t know anything about this story other than above. But in my experience when I do know something about something in the media from personal experience then it is usually substantially twisted or plain wrong.
    So when I read anything in the papers I am inclined to disbelieve.

Post hack of course. Cant remember Go-Far / pre-hack days.

sadexpunk

pre- hack no idea

post hack

sadexpunk – Member
    someones after a copy of the music on my ipod. so id like to burn him a copy. i looked at copying and pasting the tracks to a folder on my pc, and burning from there, but it wont let me paste.

is there any way of doing this?

cheers

POSTED 4 YEARS AGO #
    never did get the hang of it, hence i dont touch apple and its synctastic ways these day, feet firmly in the android camp 🙂

Freester

I am guessing pre-hack I got involved in the Picolax thread.

Post hack was this:

Hi guys (and gals) I’m a friend of Mark who crashed on the section just after the feed station on the Dyfi Enduro this weekend and was sent to Shrewsbury via Air Ambulance. He doesn’t really do the online thing but wanted me to send a message on his behalf…

Mark just wanted to say thanks for all the concern and wellwishes that have been received on here and other forums / Facebook. As some of you already know he was actually OK after examination at the hospital. He got a concussion (hence the precautions for spinal injury) and a very sore left shoulder and body.

Mark just wanted to say thanks to the First Aiders, Paramedics, Marshalls, Race Organisers and Riders who assisted in getting him off the trail and to the hospital. He also appreciated all the offers of help and assistance from other riders. Mark would also like apologise to those riders who were held up whilst the course was closed and he was moved off the trail.

The concern and well wishes from all those involved and fellow riders has been overwhelming. Mark is looking forward to getting back on his bike in a few weeks time.

The Dyfi Enduro is #1 MTB Event in the UK IMHO. Can’t wait to see you all next year…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/message-from-rider-injured-in-dyfi-enduro

Drac

Well it’s the time of year for miracles.

Post hack of course.

Kato

Can’t remember on the old site, but on this one my first post in either the bike or chat forums was…

Kato – Member

Of course it’s a setup but it’s still Suzi Perry in her pants!
    Posted 3 years ago #

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘What was your first ever post on STW’ is closed to new replies.