Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • What was the total cost to the taxpayer?…
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m not asking you to agree with me, I’m simply giving my opinion backed by fact, which you chose to challenge.

I fully expect you not to agree with me, even though the comment that a nationalised Northern Rock was able to shed nearly 3,000 without any negative consequence at all for the government is factually correct, and clearly makes the point.

I take it that the “OK Ernie, I give in, you’re right” comment means that you can’t think of anything constructive to say – it’s not really an argument, just a bitter retort. But faced with the facts I can’t say I’m entirely surprised. Although you could have chosen not to say anything 💡

konabunny
    Free Member

‘Tax Payers’ as in Income Tax Payers only account for (i think….) about 16% of that

Looking at income tax only is meaningless because no-one pays only income tax: the average punter will be paying tax/duty on booze, petrol, anything VAT-able and they will also be “paying” corporation tax through lower returns on share investments, pension fund assets etc.

Equally, you could express the loss in terms of the opportunity cost – so 20 billion could be thought of as 500,000 nurse/teacher/social worker-years that we won’t get the benefit of.

edhornby

I know a lot of people that hate Thatcher with a passion. The funniest this is that most of them are under 40 and weren’t around during her time in office, and they actually have no clue why they hate her.

er, no there are lots of people over 40 who don’t like her

and I am 35 years old, I remember her well and I can see the effects of her policies even now

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

edhornby – Member

and I am 35 years old, I remember her well and I can see the effects of her policies even now

You were about 14 when her reign of terror ended, if you’re experiencing Fatchurrrr related PTSD, why not just pop down the Happy Shopper and get yourself some semi-skinned?

😉

tonyd

er, no there are lots of people over 40 who don’t like her

I meant the people I know are mostly under 40. I’m 39 and all I can really remember of her is from Spitting Image.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘What was the total cost to the taxpayer?…’ is closed to new replies.