Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • What was the last bike shop you visited and what was it like?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For me, it was my old chums at Stonehenge Cycles in Salisbury. It was ace! Didn't need to buy anything, just popped in to say hello. And to buy them ice cream as it was a rather hot day!

Although, with hindsight, I wish I'd bought one of the lovely Endura merino T-shirts they had in…! Maybe next trip.

sambob
    Free Member

The BIke Factory in Whaley Bridge. Really good LBS to have, super friendly and good deals on bikes. It was Unusually busy last time i was in 🙂

ken_shields
    Free Member

Phil Corley's in Milton Keynes to pick up a pair of freshly built (thanks for another set of cool wheels Steve) SS road wheels for a bike under construction 🙄

All round good eggs and worth taking the occassional boxful of homemade brownies in on a Sunday

richen987
    Free Member

popped into Peter Sansford this afternoon in Winchester, about 5.30 so helpful and great service, bought a lovely new thompson stem 🙂
    great service and nice guys.

ton

dales bike center…………….very nice
    but i did not buy anything.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

mcdonalds cycles in edinburgh – i was having some trouble with get my race onto my forks – they sorted it FOC 🙂

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Stif and it was like a morgue.

Nice staff, bikes and layout though.

backhander
    Free Member

Bike style in clevedon, very well stocked for such a small place!
    Fox, Intense and Yeti (plus others). Good shop.

ton

stif…………..what the hell were they thinking moving all the way out there.

loads of passing trade in summerbridege midweek………….. 🙄

their marketing man must be well proud.

sockpuppet

condor in london – very pleasant place to be, v shiny bikes, very good clothing stock level.

not that i could afford much of it!

Bunnyhop

Jon @ 'The bicycle Smithy' in Hazel Grove on the dreaded A6 that evetually goes out to the Peak district.

He kindly lent us his own personal tandem to 'try before you buy', top chap.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

TheBikeChain in Edinburgh. One of the best I've been in.

amodicumofgnar

18 Bikes – today, collected new soul, just back from first ride and totally converted.

It was, as ever friendly and full of shiny bits

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Wight Mountain in Newport IOW last weekend. Great bunch o' lads like. Very reasonable prices and always a quick turnaround on repairs and bodge rescues.

D0NK

Geoff Smiths in bolton yesterday, nearly my LBS, been going for ooh 20yrs. Roadie shop, always seems to be atleast 1 customer in and plenty of them chat aswell as purchase. Nice place, doesnt stock much high end MTB stuff but has basics and can order most stuff in quickly.

Spaceman
    Free Member

I-cycles in Innerleithen, top bloke Stevie that runs it, the bike shop for people that want a good independant dealer to flourish rather than the chain store round the corner.

Bunnyhop

The Bothy bike shop in Aviemore were great a few weeks ago, sorting us out with some local trails. The least we could do was buy a map.

backhander
    Free Member

Was in loads in BC last couple of weeks; Tantalus in squamish, Cove bikes in Van, Fanatik in whistler, Gerik and sacred ride in Nelson.

sambob
    Free Member

Bunnyhop- There has to be no road i hate more than that one! never been in the shop though.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The Bikeworks in Edinburgh at lunchtime today, to pick up my Enduro which they'd had since the weekend but have now decided they can't do the work on. 😥

Coleman
    Free Member

Samways in Derby, as usual a pleasant experience, had a chat with some of the assistants. Bought a Mobi pressure washer (price matched down to tinternet price – Thankyou). Looked at a rather smart 2011 Kink Gap bmx for my son (also at a good price) who is now working out how many times he needs to mow the lawn to pay for it.
    Sadly, I have to admit to buying too much over the internet and not using my local bike shop enough.

jedi

today i was in nirvana cycles.
    redshed in williams lake is a coo, shop as is sacred ride, cove bikes etc…

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Primera – Charminster, Bournemouth.

It's the model upmarket LBS.

I bought a Spesh pump for me and a Spesh multitool for my dad.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

BikeScene in Guisborough. It's always nice!

DezB
    Free Member

Interesting question… I actually visited 2 today. Went into Hargroves (which I consider my LBS) after work and couldn't get served. They did have a sign up saying "staff wanted", but I was going to spend about £100 and no-one was free to serve me. They didn't even acknowledge my presence.
    So I left and went to Cycle Surgery, which is more expensive. But they served me straight away and I got to gaze at a rather tasty Yeti 5 hanging from the ceiling while waiting for them to find my bits. Friendly service too.
    It did make me realise why I do 99.9% of my shopping on the Net though.
    Not particuarly because of the service in the shops, but the bloody driving around to get to them!

carbon337
    Free Member

Evans in gateshead today, price matched ukbikestore which was nice and took it straight home. Ha some craic with the guys in there. 7/10 for the experience.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

epicsteve – i took a hope tiglide rear hub to the bikeworks to get the bearings changed and they returned it saying they were super-smooth (on ten year old bearings!) – they guy even spun it infront of me. got it home, had a spin and it was like the bearings had been replaced with gravel. took it back and they were everso apologetic…. hmmmm

ken_shields
    Free Member

Forgot to say Corely's have one of these hanging (green and white) in the shop……looks v nice…..possible next cycle to work bike

jedi

that would be shit off road! 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

Twelve50 in Frodsham, cracking shop, nice guys walked out with my shiny SS 😆

ken_shields
    Free Member

jedi – Member
    that would be shit off road!

LOL….it would be ok because it appears to be able to float a few inches of the floor so it doesn't need suspension

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Ride or Bikelab in Poole, excellent as usual.

jedi

good point ken……… flowspension!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teh bike chain in Edinburgh. Bought a nice shiny Hope BB at a nice shiny price. Got the piss ripped out of me again the swines. I think I get "comedy value" discount or something

IHN

Leisure Lakes in 'Nam today. It was, as ever, jam packed with stock. I bought some lube.

18 Bikes – today…

It was, as ever friendly and full of shiny bits

I realise that I'm probably in a minority of one, but my experiences of 18 Bikes have not been great

cannondaleking
    Free Member

street life in lowestoft smaller than the norwich store but twice as nice and the staff are real easy going and know there stuff but since i left the crap shop i worked at going into street life has seemed all the sweeter even if i only go in for bits and a cuppa

fingers202
    Free Member

Bicycle Repairman Edinburgh, friendly and enjoyable

teagirl
    Free Member

The Bike Shop in Skipton. Tiptop blokes and service and I purchased some Endura Hummvees which had an inaugural outing last night round Wycoller. They were excellent.

mtb_rob
    Free Member

The Bicycle Works – Edinburgh

Very small shop with workshop/mechanic working right in the centre of shop. Gear all over the walls and hard to make sense of where stuff is and what they actually have. That said, the guys were great and they charge a lot less labour costs than some of Edinburghs bigger bike shops.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

steve_b77 – Member
    Twelve50 in Frodsham, cracking shop, nice guys walked out with my shiny SS

Not been in there, but the Indian used to be good about 10 years ago!

Does Halfords count?

Got a call this morning to say my Charge Plug (on the cycle2work scheme) was in, went to pick it up this evening, they got it out, failed dismally with the paperwork and wouldn't let me have it!!

I didn't swear at them, there was already someone else there doing that!

I calmly (externally) went downstairs and asked if there was a manager in the store, no surprise there wasn't, but I got the "duty manager" I think he was identifiable by the fact his hair was red and black instead of a single colour! He said he'd sort it though – and FAILED!!!

Eveything was in place for me, I had everything I needed, I even logged in to THEIR website in THEIR store to find my NI number that they needed for some reason, which showed my application was approved, which it must have been to order an unusual bike.

Despite having 2 forms of photo id, my bank card, credit card and letter of collection they wouldn't let me take the bike!

It cost me an hour of my life, the hassle of putting my bike carrier on the car and evenwhen offering them my credit card details by way of gaurantee, I've still got to go back on Monday – WANK3RS!!!!

The only person in there of any use was a guy in a B&Q shirt who'd popped in for some paint (from the B&Q store next door) and ended up adjusting someones gears and talking a girl through giving a refund on a till as he used to work there!!!!!!!

Sorry, that might have turned in to a bit of a rant!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘What was the last bike shop you visited and what was it like?’ is closed to new replies.