Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • What was it like when you met your partner for the very first time?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Disappointed Flashy – I was expecting it to go:

I was standing at the station, I was waiting for a train,
    and I was thinking to myself as I watched the pouring rain….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

Marin
    Free Member

It was wet and muddy on bikes. Both had been to see Manu Chao that week and led us on to Gaye Bykers on Acid and Butthole Surfers. No one else had a clue what we were talking about.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Working for a large insurance company in the mid 80’s. Couple of guys said the new girl who’d started upstairs was fit. I wandered past her desk and decided she was.

A few weeks later I went up to her and asked her out, in front of about 5 old crones she worked with who all stopped work to watch.

“I can’t, it’s difficult” she said (had a steady boyfriend). I slunk out dejected.

Christmas party in a local nightclub a few months later I walk in and immediately she rushes up to me and sticks her tongue down my throat. Inseparable all night.

Spent a month or two as bit on the side then she dumped the boyfriend.

Silver Wedding anniversary next year 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

She was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar when I met her.*

*That much is ‘mostly’ true

chewkw
    Free Member

I have never managed to pull birds … hhhmmm … 😯

I did offer them pork crackling though …

padkinson
    Free Member

At a party I was hosting, she showed up as someone’s +1, we were both very drunk, and she ended up staying the night in my bed (quite possibly for the sole reason that the only other option was a tent in the garden). She left before I got up, apparently because she was scared I wouldn’t like her when not pissed. That morning a mate asked me if it was a ‘hit it and quit it’, type job. I had a think, and realized that I actually really liked her. I managed to get in touch with her via a mutual friend and she felt the same way.

footflaps

She was on Page 15 of Thai Brides monthly, £2600 and 2 months later she was shipped over in a crate…

The rest is history…..

epicsteve
    Free Member

We first met in the wardroom when I was a very young sub-lieutenant and she was an officer candidate. I thought she was cute and she thought me a bit arrogant (she wasn’t wrong). Turned out we were both into hillwalking and a few munro’s later we were dating and a year after that we were married. Married 25 years now and still happy, despite her jumping ship from the senior service to the army.

lerk
    Free Member

The very first time (we didn’t meet):
    A group of us were all stood in the works canteen checking out applicants for the new quality position from behind the mirrored glass, scores may have been involved… She was set on and started a month before Xmas.

The first introduction:
    I was covered in Cocoa liquor due to being part way through changing a pump, I had called through to the office to give a progress report to the production manager as she was being shown around the office… Fairly standard stuff really.

When I noticed her:
    The Xmas do… She was sat at another table but I kept catching glimpses of her giggling away. Was planning on heading over and having a chat after dinner, but she left straight after the meal.

When she noticed me:
    I’d been struck quite well at the Xmas do, but just afterwards ended up suspended pending investigation… I was sat at home until the end of January when my name was cleared.
    On returning to work I found myself finding excuses to head to the office and sneak a gaze over the photocopier etc.
    I seemed to be getting nowhere, but then in a weekly maintenance planning meeting she noticed me looking and instantly broke eye contact and didn’t regain it for the rest of the meeting. I thought I’d blown it and didn’t notice an increase in quality involvement in my work.
    I hate to admit it, but use of the works IM system became less and less business based. After a Friday evening spent on Facebook chat work related conversation was completely off the cards and the following Monday we exchanged phone numbers.
    At this point I was unsure what was likely to be on the cards, so kept things friendly with a little bit of blue – having been single for six years following a bad breakup I was petrified about getting involved and also with the whole work thing I didn’t want to end up with a harassment case on me…
    Eventually things came to a head and we had a phone call on a Saturday morning in late March which in quite businesslike terms laid out where we both were. We met that night at her house once her daughter was in bed and the rest as they say is history.

Apparently the reason behind her shyness in the meeting was because she had seen me looking and in her words “it was like you’d shot me in the clit!” 😮

ferrals
    Free Member

Mates house party, I was pissed, she was driving, I thought she was hot, she thought I was a bit of an idiot. Luckily she was a work mate of a friend so met in the pub another time. We bonded over a love of steak and kidney pudding.

pocketrocket
    Free Member

Mates 21st birthday party, I was already in a relationship but knew she wasn’t the one.
    Gradually got more and more hammered so sat down to talk to some mates, she suddenly appeared with a bottle of Newcastle brown ale for me, needless to say she got my attention. We hit it off, but I found out she was only 17 and and I was 26, I thought it was a no go, anyhow we went back to the flat where the party was to continue. She left shortly after when she walked into the kitchen and found me snogging the face off another girl.
    Two weeks later I spotted her in a bar shouted ” Ello Gorgeous” and she fell for my charm again 😛
    Anyhow long story short, few dates later (even though I kept thinking she was too young) I dumped the girlfriend and 17 years and 3 kids later I realise some things are just meant to be! 😀

CHB

Student Christmas ball. Lots of free wine on the table (Elland Road, Leeds). I got to the point of drunkenness where its either dance or wake up under the table.
    Think she did the same.
    My dance moves impressed her.
    Either that or we both needed someone to lean on to stay upright.
    21 years later…..

🙂

carlosg
    Free Member

She walked through the door at work for an interview and I thought PHWOAR!!!(apparently she thought phwoar too) , she got the job and we just clicked ,good buddies/drinking companions for nearly 2 years (she had a boyfriend I had a few girlfriends) then we got it together in a drunken fumble snog and the rest is history……nearly 27 years of it.

sweepy
    Free Member

Thirty odd years and I can still remember the first words my Mrs said to me-
    ‘You can’t smoke that in here’

onehundredthidiot

Cant really remember, I was 4 and she was a baby. 2 marriages each and pushing 40 years later we’re married and happy.

woody2000

I thought she had a nice bum, but other than that, it was all a bit meh. 11 years and 3 kids later and its much the same 😉

northernmatt

First time I met her – no idea really. It was in Spiders in Hull and as per usual I was absolutely shitfaced. Got introduced via a mutual friend then had a bit of snog.

Didn’t see her again for a couple of months. Again in Spiders (slightly less shitfaced this time) and we decided it would be a good idea to walk back to Newland Ave (about 4 miles) at 2am in the morning. Jumped her bones and she’s still here 12yrs on and with the addition of a small person. I am a happy chap.

Stoner
    Free Member

“it was like you’d shot me in the clit!”

Romance aint dead.

boforus
    Free Member

Met on a camping holiday with our families when we were 14. I have to say the feeling of knowing someone for years when you haven’t must mean something because I knew even at that age I loved her.

Got a phone number, had an awkward teenage hug because her younger sister caught us going for a kiss like something out of a film the day she left the site.

We took it in turns to visit one another by train as there was 45 miles between us.

Eventually I moved out at 18 and into a flat with her. Engaged at 19, married at 21. Been married for two years and together for 10 in April.

We have grown up together and I have to say we know each other inside and out. Now own a house together, have a cat, about to get a dog and thinking of a wee one too.

She also seems to ‘get’ the whole bike thing and has made noises about buying one for herself, how can anyone not like the idea of that!

10 years at 24 is rare, but I love her, she’s my quine and always will be 😉

Just don’t tell her I said that 😀

ir_bandito
    Free Member

First night of fresher’s week 19 years ago,in a very, very busy JCR in halls of residence full of loud mouth pricks (like myself) trying to outdo each other’s tales of gap yah bravado.
    I’d grabbed a table very early on with someone else and we sat there and let people circulate around us. Two girls sat down with us. Bloke I was with utters “I quite fancy the brunette”. He got nowhere, I married the blonde 5 years later.
    It helped that there was a half hour queue at the bar and we soon realised that a 5-foot nothing girl could sneak through the crush and keep me supplied in beer. What’s not to like? True love.
    14 years of marriage, 3 houses, 2 kids, several jobs and an 18 month cycle trip and all’s well

bencooper
    Free Member

We met when digging up newts in Mugdock Country Park. It was quite muddy.

scandal42
    Free Member

Her mum owned my heavily used local, I wanted cheap beer.

7 years and many travels later her mum doesn’t own the pub anymore and I didn’t get as much cheap beer as I thought.

She kept me though

seadog101

Small Night club above a cheap pub in Plymouth.

She caught me looking at her a few times and, well, kind of meandered toward her on the dance floor. It was tiny, so no way to escape.

She kindly let me remain within arms reach, and she reached for me.

A few drinks, and a bit of talking ensued.

We went back to her place (well her sisters place). Where an almighty row broke out between sister and sister’s boyfriend and sister’s new beau (who had come back with us also)…(?) All very confusing and complicated.

She said she knew I was for keeps as I didn’t flee the scene. I didn’t flee the scene because a bit of a tiff between three other people was no reason to let her go. She was lovely then, and still is.

We’ll be married for 25years in January.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Hacienda 1989 first words to each other.

Her; “do you know where I can get any E’s” ?

Me ; “yeah how many” ?

We’ve been together ever since that first night.

bearnecessities

Some lovey reads here, esp’ Stoner & Seadog. *sniffles*

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

In 1972 we were 15, had a few ‘touchy feely moments but went our separate ways. I did think about her over the years cos she was a bonny lass & used to give me those doe eyed looks.
    30 years later she only sends me a message via Friends Reunited & the rest is history & we got married in Feb 2010!
    & still happy! 😆

jamj1974

Magic.

BigJohn

When I first saw Mrs BigJohn I said to my mate “That’s the girl I’m going to marry”.

That was in 1969 and we’ve been together ever since.

I still get the same kick.

spud-face

On a Sunday afternoon Meetup social at the pictures. I was rambling on to a friend about something lefty whilst waiting for the film to start, she joined in from a couple of seats away (all I can remember is her massive smile) and from there on I forgot my friend existed. We chatted like we’d known each other for years (all the more remarkable as I’m usually appallingly slow to relax around new people)for the rest of the evening, it felt like we were the only people in the world. Both putting off and then abandoning our plans for the evening just to stay out a little longer. Chatted for a few days via the Meetup messenger and Whatsapp before I got the courage up to ask her on a date, and we’ve been together for ten deliriously happy months.

Admittedly it’s only the blink of an eye compared to a lot on here, but I’ve never been so happy or known someone so well. I’ve found the person I’ll grow old with. Bah, bloody dust 😳

BigDummy
    Free Member

“it was like you’d shot me in the clit!”

If anyone ever says this to me, I am going to wife them immediately. That’s adorable.

🙂

scandal42
    Free Member

Many would confirm that I’m no expert, but I can’t imagine being shot in the clit would be an enjoyable experience?

RustySpanner

Not even with Cupid’s little arrow?

Pigface
    Free Member

Shot in the clit is going to be like hoofed in the slats, a STW legend is born 😆

Bunnyhop

It was March 2000 and I’d gone to California on a skiing holiday.
    The ski club I was with were from Wigan but there were a couple of chaps who had joined us from down south, one of whom had bright ginger hair, so noticeable from a far.
    On the first day I went out skiing with these 2 and a female friend.
    Immediately it was apparent I got on really well with mr.ginger top.
    It was as though I’d known him all my life and we had so much in common.
    Things weren’t straight forward as he lived in London and I was in Stockport. I was convinced he was ‘the one’,so was willing to put up with months of tedious travelling.
    12 happy years of marriage later we’re still together, however the ginger hair has long gone.

Stoner – we also had our first snog on St Patricks day,along with several pints of Guinness.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

If I remember correctly I spent the first half of the evening trying to look down her blouse, then the second half calling her stupid for not working out some daft party game we were all playing. of which she never forgets to remind me of.

On out first date? I remember looking at my watch for a lot of it as it turns out she has a very annoying habit of being very late for everything. It should have been a warning.

15 years later and I still pretty much do the sames things. 😆

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I went round to a mates place to pick up a car engine and his gobby little sister stood there heckling us whilst we struggled to load it in the car. She’s now my wife of 23 years, I’m a glutton for punishment!

epicyclo

She was hanging around outside the cafe looking pretty hot in a miniskirt.

I pulled up on my motorbike. Said g’day beautiful, 5 minutes later she was on the back, and we were off round Loch Ness. Must have been the red hair and beard effect (me not her 🙂 ) because I was far from smooth talking.

Miss the days of no helmets and no speed limit. Must be hard to pick up a girl now with a motorbike. 🙂

We married young against determined opposition, it’s nearly 50 years now.

mildbore

I first met her June 21st 1971. My brother was taking his girlfriend to a Wishbone Ash gig and dragged me along so his gf’s pal would have someone to talk to. I can remember exactly how she looked,what she was wearing etc which is amazing given I’m a bloke. Can’t remember a thing about the band except they were crap. I already had a gf and finished with her before starting a relationship with Sarah.
    We split when I went to Uni because I was young and naive. After playing around I realised I’d messed up and wrote to ask her back. She ignored me.
    Three years later I heard she was in town so I went to find her. That was 1978 and we’ve been together ever since

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

First time we met (*as I remembered it): He came along to our club weekender. I thought he was a right grumpy too-cool-to-talk type, although myself and my friend came to the conclusion he was, by far, the best looking guy there. Didn’t think much about it other than that.

Few months later I found myself unexpectedly single around the same time as him. Decided he would be a good Mr-right-now even if he was a moody bugger at least he was gorgeous. ‘I’m too uber-cool’ arrogant mountain bikers don’t really do it for me, but you know, who can resist a shaved head and six pack?

Nearly three years on it turns out he isn’t arrogant, grumpy or moody and is in fact the most amazing person I have ever met. 😀

Judging personalities = not a strong point

*turns out it wasn’t even the first time we had met. We had briefly spoke and ridden on a night ride about a year before when I had turned up for a club ride (and no one else did). He was waiting at the same place for a mate and I rode up the hills with them till I split off and leave them to ride some uber-nuts off piste stuff. I had totally forgotten about it, but he remembers it really well. 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘What was it like when you met your partner for the very first time?’ is closed to new replies.