Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What van??
  • russ295
    Free Member

Need a new work van in the new year.
    I’d love a t5 lwb dsg highline, price is about £21k plus vat (can claim that back) or there is lease options.
    But in reality I think it will be too small, I fit kitchens and it’s mainly tools I carry.
    I have a lwb high roof trafic at the minute but it’s coming to the end of its useful life and have seen some great deals on a Nissan nv400. Can get a good spec for about £14k plus vat. It’s prob more apt for the job but the t5’s are just so nice!
    Go with the heart or the head?

tthew

VW make a bigger one called the Crafter. Basically a badge engineered Sprinter and probably cheaper 2nd hand than the Transporter.

sonofozzz1
    Free Member

We lease new full size transits they are fantastic. Such an improvement over older transit.Massive and drive like a car. £217 a month

russ295
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve looked at the crafter. Not many good deals on them tbh?
    Who do you lease the transit through?
    I don’t need anything huge but the t5 is about the minimum I could live with, just wouldn’t want to commit and be cheesed off with it after 6 mths.

tom200

Transporters are crap and overpriced. New transit makes more sense, just a bit less ‘lifestyle’.

willard

Despite being a T5 owner, I still say the Traffic/Vivaro/Primastar has more useable internal space.

I’ve not seen the new model vivaro up close yet, but from the brief glimpse I Had of one at the Vx dealers, it looks to be similar in size to the Transit custom (so still bigger than a T5). No idea on price, but I can’t imagine it being anything but cheaper than the T5 too.

pk13

I use a t5 for work its poor on a good day. Cramp cockpit and not that big a load space. T4 long wheelbase was better tbh. New transit is nice to drive. T5 are only good for the resale value.

mos

Let’s face it, T5’s are 10 years old now & from what reviews i’ve seen, if you need a panel van then new Transits are the way to go.

Check prices on Happynewvan.co.uk.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

If T5s are crap, why are they so popular? Honest question to the stw van fountains of all knowledge?

ElShalimo

perceived quality

cr500dom
    Free Member

I looked at both T5 and Transit when I was looking for a replacement for my traffic.
    I couldn’t get a new shape Trafic crew cab in time.

I brought a new Transit LWB DCIV (Double cab in van) Drives much better than my old Trafic and worked out significantly cheaper than a similar spec T5

BoardinBob

Check prices on Happynewvan.co.uk.

I’m assuming those prices are exc vat???

edit: yes, that’s a bit of a con website

So I’m looking at a Renault Trafic which they’re advertising at £14,683

In reality though the price is £17,955.60 as their advertised price doesn’t include VAT, deposit, VED etc.

tom200

If T5s are crap, why are they so popular? Honest question to the stw van fountains of all knowledge?

Because of 50 years of successfully marketing. And the fact they are more stylish than most vans.

russ295
    Free Member

Cheers I’ll have a look at the transit, custom or the bigger one? I’ve had a look in the custom and it looks similar in size to the t5.
    I’m vat registered so that’s not a prob.

davosaurusrex

Sat in a Transit Custom at work today. Expected to really like but was unimpressed, felt really cramped compared to T4s and T5s I used to drive. No clutch foot rest, not enough legroom, (bulkhead may not have helped) and not enough drop from seat to floor. Really short seat base as well which is no good if you’re tall. Is disappoint.

russ295
    Free Member

That’s my dilemma! Get the van I like and live with it being a bit small. (I have my van super organised but as soon as I put a few extra bits in its chaos) or get something bigger than I have. Lwb high roof trafic.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I own a T5 as a camper and run a Peugeot Expert for my job as a kitchen an bathroom fitter.

If I was buying again, and I will be soon, I reckon i’d be looking at the 2.3l Fiat Ducato. The new shape is very T5 and Transit custom esqe but without the huge price tags. I bought my T5 cheap 5 years ago but VW have completely lost the plot with pricing. I reckon a LWB Highline DSG will be nearer £30k not £20K.

spooky_b329

If you liked the Transit Custom, it does also come in LWB and Hitop variants.

scotroutes

I drive a Tourneo minibus for work. I’m constantly looking under it to find the leak in the fuel tank and in the back to find the massive piece of depleted Uranium we must be carrying around to account for the crap fuel consumption and complete lack of acceleration.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Yeah, sorry I was obviously thinking list price rather than ‘available for’ price. I’d still not buy another at the new pricing. I have an ’08 130 LWB with cruise, Aircon, elec. bought @18mths old for £11,500 no VAT with 16k miles on clock. Would cost me £20k to replace it with same now!

johnnystorm

If what you really want is a T5 get a T5. If it is just an appliance get the best VFM. Theres no point getting a bargain if every time you see a T5 you think “what if?”.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What van??’ is closed to new replies.