• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What valve stems do you run on your Shimano UST-compatible wheels?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Got some wheels recently, sans valve stems.

“No worries” I thought – “I’ll get some Stans, they’re apparently compatible”

Well, it appears that they aren’t – certainly not the UST versions I bought. There’s a large gap between the seal at the end of the stem and the rim where the rim ‘arches’ towards the top (imagine the rim profile as an inverted ‘U’ – the Stans valves sit happily on the sides of the ‘U’ but do not have enough depth to also seal the top).

Short of finding some Shimano ‘valve units’, what else is there out there that will work?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat and if I find any I’ll let you know (and watch this thread with interest).

I got Shimano ones with my rims but they have a non-removable valve core, making getting a seal and topping up sealant a bit of a chore. They seal is, as you say, like an inverted U whereas the ones Jon at http://www.justridingalong.co.uk sorted me out with are like a mushroom. They worked but they no longer seal after about 18 months.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Nearest I’ve found so far are the Mavics on my 819s which have a nice block profile, but again mine don’t have removable cores, which isn’t so useful.

And they’re on my other bike… 😉

angeldust
    Free Member

I’m using Stan’s UST valves with 2011 Shimano XT wheels. No problems at all.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Angeldust – one of these bad boys?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Mavic ones seem to fit all. Stan’s aren’t UST, but are tubeless. The difference being that the UST stamp is handed out by a lab in Belgium whereas anyone can label something tubeless or tubeless-ready.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Just had a chat with the shop that I got mine from – seems they may be Stans Olympics, for their own range of rims.

Bikewhisperer – I didn’t know that. If this doesn’t work then it would seem to make sense to invest in Mavics.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I’m a wheel geek. What can I say?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

😆

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Just an update – I have some Shimano XT AM wheels.
    http://www.gravity-slaves.co.uk/?a=425

Jon at Justriding along recommended some Stan’s UST valves and they work a treat, wheels have never been so easy to inflate or leak free, looks like my old valves where leaking for a while:

http://www.justridingalong.com//shop.php?product=58&jras=sn74jfvmiq5nq6o2p1puna39p0

Maybe drop Jon a line as I’m not sure exactly which ones I got but so far so good!

br
    Free Member

Mavic’s, you can get either removable-core or not – about a tenner a pair.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What valve stems do you run on your Shimano UST-compatible wheels?’ is closed to new replies.