Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What UST Tyres?
  • swisstonyswiss
    Free Member

The time has come to buy my first set of tubeless tyres.

Going to fit them to a set of DT Swiss XR 1450 fitted with tubeless tape and valves and use Stans.

What small 1.80 to 2.1 tyres (schalbe maxxis etc) do people recommend for all round XC use (Wales, Peak, Yorkshire etc)?

Ta

ash.addy
    Free Member

Rubber Queens UST I find them great but they are wide for 2.2 – suit for everything I can throw at them in South Wales

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Got some specialized Escar Control 2Bliss 2.3's and they have been fine up to now, seem very grippy, although not tried them in the wet.

BigJohn

I don't think anybody recommends small 1.80 to 2.1 tyres for all round XC use (Wales, Peak, Yorkshire etc).

Get thee some big buggers. Bonty XR4s. Fast rolling and just right for the places you mention.

swisstonyswiss
    Free Member

BigJohn

don't think anybody recommends small 1.80 to 2.1 tyres for all round XC use (Wales, Peak, Yorkshire etc).

Nowt wrong with small tyres! been using them for years in all sorts of places (inc the Alps). Get about 2 punctures a year also 🙂

Problem with big tyres is that you have to lug the bl**dy things up hill !

RealMan
    Free Member

I don't think anybody recommends small 1.80 to 2.1 tyres for all round XC use (Wales, Peak, Yorkshire etc).

+1

Rubber Queens UST I find them great but they are wide for 2.2 – suit for everything I can throw at them in South Wales

+100000000

Except for the wide bit, they're pretty bang on for a 2.2. I think all the other tyre companies make their tyres too thin, so they just look a bit big for a 2.2. They do have a lot of volume though. Fantastic tyre.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

i thought the whole point of the stans kit was to use normal tyres as they are a lot lighter than UST tyres ?

nickc

Racing Ralph for speed, Nobby Nics for all round use. 2.1 in both are fine. Mate's used RR in Wales, and Peaks on hard packed stuff, but he could find traction on ice, so may not work for you, but this time of year, should be fine

dickie
    Free Member

+1 for Nobby Nic's for all year.

nickhart
    Free Member

get your backside over to the finest purveyors of black round things in the county and start there!

Artillerydave
    Free Member

I'd recomend http://www.nextdaytyres.co.uk myself, very good service and prices and cheaper than JRA.

swisstonyswiss
    Free Member

Cheers for the info chaps.

With regards to Stans & normal tyres, I have been using Cinders all year round for several years with little probs. Problem is that many tyres, (Panaracer especially) seem to have very thin side walls which i guess is a problem when not using a tube.

Ralphs & Nics seem to be very popular so will check them out first

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What UST Tyres?’ is closed to new replies.