Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What upgrades next
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

2013 Cannondale SL5
    I’ve upgraded the forks from Suntour xcm to Rockshox Recon Golds and changed the tyres.
    Still got standard brakes, which work but are quite poor power wise, standard wheels.

I’d like to bin the wheels, brakes and then change the 3×8 acera to 2×10 or 1×10 and also Some tatty carbon bars happy with the 680mm width but want something lighter.

So any ideas for brakes, wheels and handlebars. Budget £300.

gaberin
    Free Member

Deore brakes, some hope wheels off the classified and some carbon bars maybe Easton havens also off the classified?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

The thing with deore brakes is, do they come as a kit including rotor, or is it just the lever and caliper then rotor on top? Looking at Budget wheels are Mavic Crossridesor Shimano mt15’s any good?

simondbarnes

The thing with deore brakes is, do they come as a kit including rotor, or is it just the lever and caliper then rotor on top?

They’re available either way. If there is nothing wrong with your current rotors then reuse them. Deore brakes are ace.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Wheels and tyres can save you a lot of weight and make the bike more responsive and quicker. Better brakes allow you scrub speed later. If go for wheels and tyres first.

gaberin
    Free Member

I’ve never used either of those wheels so wouldn’t know if they’re any good. I’d recommend hopes as their customer service is great, and you should be able to pick some up from the classified for around 150£

devash
    Free Member

Deore brakes from Merlin £70.

I’ve seen some good deals on Easton EA50 / 70 riser bars (between £20-25). Aluminum but not that much heavier than carbon bars.

You should be able to use your existing rotors but depending on rotor size / caliper mounts you might need to fathom in a few more quid for the relevant adapters unless you have Shimano brakes already.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Was thinking of some custom wheels. I’m not strictly to a budget. Gonna tart my hardtail up and ride it this year, use it through summer improve my riding and then splash the cash on a full bounce maybe or a different Hardtail frame.

Think I’ll purchase some deore brakes next pay day. Hopefully the hoses aren’t huge as I’m clueless on how to shorten them.

And wheels I fancied a hope pro 2 hub but not sure what rims. Then lastly bin the acera, as I’m sure this winter grime will kill it.

devash
    Free Member

You can get (or you could get a couple of months ago, not sure if the deal is still on) a full Deore groupset including the brakes and rotors from Merlin for about £250. That’d be worth getting because you could install the brakes now, then replace the Acera stuff as and when it fails.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What upgrades next’ is closed to new replies.