Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What UK MTB races would you recommend to a foreigner?
  • Marge
    Free Member

I’m not really a foreigner but an expat who really got into bikes after emigrating…

I’d like to make a race or 2 in the UK this year & I’m hoping there are some suggestions of good events.
    Typically I ride XC type marathons around the 100-120km range (bit more / bit less is not an issue)

The UK is of course blessed with fantastic terrain for mountain biking & it seems a shame that I’ve never experienced it.

composite
    Free Member

Personally i wouldn’t bother traveling for short events and that’s reflected in my suggestions. 🙂

The Bearbones200 (200km) is in October. Unsupported ITT mass start type event. Generally some of the best terrain that mid wales has to offer, although it will be a new route this year and I think it might go more into North Wales. Get ready for all sorts though. There was at least 15 river crossings last year, a wack of hike-a-bike and plenty of route on the map but nothing on the ground type navigation challenges. Times ranged from 13ish hours to 28ish for those that slept out over night.

Highland trail race (560miles) if you can hack 5-8 days in the wilderness. Last year and this years line up contains international riders. That would be one for 2015 though as this year is full.

chriswilk
    Free Member

tweedlove, lots of events over 2 weeks and a round of the EWS to watch too.
    Glentress 7 is the main endurance event.

postierich
    Free Member

Selkirk Marathon
    http://www.selkirkmtbmarathon.com
    Dyfi Enduro quite short but a great event!
    http://www.howies.co.uk/brainfood/tag/dyfi-enduro/

ir_bandito
    Free Member

+1 for the Dyfi Enduro

Oh, and the North Pennines MTB Marathon. July 19th this year. Website going live next week.

Marge
    Free Member

Single day events are best (as they don’t impose on the family so much)

The Selkirk Marathon looks interesting option.

I’ll keep an eye open for the North Pennines event too.
    Perhaps I can combine this one with a family visit 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

Not sure the level your riding at, just a reminder there are no long races in the UK, basically it is illegal. Events yes, just not races.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What UK MTB races would you recommend to a foreigner?’ is closed to new replies.