Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What Tyres (in that old 26" flavour)
  • MrOvershoot

Finally have a proper set of tubeless wheels non of this ghetto stuff.
    Looking for something along the lines of Maxxis Minion 2.35 as they are my go to tyre.

What’s out there? Off out for a ride in the sunshine now, so I’m expecting at least 100 differing opinions by the time I’m back 😉

chiefgrooveguru

If you like the Minion DHF 2.35 I’d try the Butcher Control 2.3

Simon

Had a Butcher 2.3 control 2 bliss on the front most of this year, very confidence inspiring. Basically a Minion copy, much bigger than a Minion 2.35 though.

Northwind

Yeah, Butcher Control is basically a Minion 2 (and made by the same people incidentally). Wish there was a stickier rubber version mind but they’re still brilliant as they are. Tubeless ready, inexplicably light for their toughness, good in most conditions… Mint.

RustySpanner

You need some of those Damp Hands.
    My dear, simply everyone’s wearing them this season.

Or Maxxis.
    They must be the best, their prices have risen by 75% over the past few years.
    And we ALL know you get what you pay for, right?

Buy cheap, buy twice!
    This definitely applies when you’re changing both tyres at the same time.

I like the big Bonty XR4’s, in all seriousness.
    Grippy, predictable, high volume, cheap.

luket

I love my Minion DHF but it’s a 2.5 single ply tubed. Something like that but marginally narrower and tubeless would be ideal. So the Butchers sound ideal for me too – but do they have fairly sturdy sidewalls? I’ve generally found I prefer UST tyres to “tubeless ready” for this reason but I don’t know why (UST is the bead shape only, right?). I’ve not used spesh tyres in recent years so hard to judge but UST rubber Queens and High Rollers have done the trick, Schwalbes haven’t lasted me well at all.

limkilde
    Free Member

I like my Dampf 2,35 in a Trail/Pace combo

Simon

Been using Specialized Control casing tyres for years and never ripped a sidewall.

MrOvershoot

Christ Pete I see what you mean about Maxxis prices 😮

TBH I already have a bit of a tyre mountain, in the region of 20 pairs 😳

Had many issues with Schwalbe fragility/variable grip, whats the Conti range like these days as I like the road tyres but haven’t bought any since the Vert/Gravity days.

Ride was great tonight, plenty of bramble & nettle stings to remind me of it & only one crash in the group OTB into the undergrowth.

RustySpanner

TBH I already have a bit of a tyre mountain, in the region of 20 pairs

I thought I was bad! 🙂
    I’m over it now though, I know what I like and try and stick to that type of design.

If your going ‘legit’ tubeless, why not flog ’em on?
    The price for new ones is just crazy now, must be a market for slightly worn ones?

Have you had a look on the Merlin & On One sites?
    Loads of bargains on there – I can’t imagine ever paying full price for a tyre again.

pymwymis
    Free Member

+1 for Bonty XR4’s

MrOvershoot

Rusty Spanner – Member

I thought I was bad!

Trust me your only starter level, I’ve been back out and its 35 sets!!
    11 bikes as well + spares galore & I had a big clear-out 2 years ago.

Northwind

luket – Member

So the Butchers sound ideal for me too – but do they have fairly sturdy sidewalls?

The Controls are tough for singleplies and for their weight but they’re not bombproof- no clever protection, just sensibly tough carcass and a fair bit of rubber. If it’s a concern you can go up a level- there’s the Control, then the SX, then the full downhill dualply, the SX isn’t officially tubeless ready but it acts like it is, and it is proper tough- I use ’em on the dh bike.

Karl33to
    Free Member

Just stick with your minions, they’re amazing, but you already know that! 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1
    and they go up fine tubeless

andyrm
    Free Member

Butcher front, Captain rear. Job done.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What Tyres (in that old 26" flavour)’ is closed to new replies.