Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What tyres for touring
  • MrsMugsy
    Free Member

I know the subject’s been done to death but I can’t find any of the touring threads that have been on here.

anyway, I’m looking for tyres which are light and fairly cheap (around £20). They don’t need to be bombproof as I’ll be touring in Denmark where the roads are probably fairly good and where there’re bike shops. on top of that we won’t be doing huge miles as we’re with the children.

I’m also interested in the FollowMe thingy if anyone has experience of it.

thanks for the advice.

StirlingCrispin

Schwalbe Marathon for tyres.
    (don’t bother with the puncture-proof plus ones. They are puncture proof but also draggy).

Have a FollowMe and it’s excellent. Use it for trips around town – and then release my 6-yr-old into the wild when we reach our destination. Felt relaxed within minutes of using it for the first time and Thump loves it. You can really feel the boost when he pedals. Also have a LOCT so we’re quite a load when we get going with Thud (now 4) on that. The only problem I’ve had is then Thud (then three) fell off the FollowMe after putting his foot into his front wheel.
    Navigating roundabouts and junctions can be nerve wracking – we’re a long load and it’s takes us a while to get going. I generally get off and push in this situation – leaving the kids on the bike.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Conti puncture proof tyres – lighter than the marathons, not draggy, cheap as well. Travel contact if a bit of gravel is included, sport contact if not.

Really are as close to puncture proof as anything,

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CraigW
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. About as puncture proof as the standard Marathons, but way lighter and faster. Usually not cheap, but Spa have them in 700×35 for £20.

fourbanger
    Free Member

700C? I’m using 32mm Gatorskins on my tourer now. I normally travel with tent and sleeping bag, but go pretty light. I’ve put maybe 1500Km on them so far and they’re wearing pretty well. One puncture so far and that was on a briddleway on flint, so not really counting it!

shortcut

Depends how narrow you want to go. Spesh Roubaix took me and my kit from LE to JoG.

Light, fast and robust.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for touring’ is closed to new replies.