Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What tyres for?….. (semi-fat content)
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

…a 29+ bike in a British Winter?

Just in the process of acquiring kit for a Krampus and I’m indecisive on tyres.

Knards and Chronicles look good for summer and/or frozen trails and snow, but I suspect are useless in gloop.

Dirt Wizards look like they’ll handle loose filth happily, but a bit draggy and heavy for gravel and tarmac.

FatBNimbles and the Chupacabras look to be a reasonable compromise.

What are your experiences?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve found the Chronicles to be fine by and large except for one instance with really sticky gloopy mud. Not sure anything would have worked though to be honest.

AFAIK…Dirt Wizards are better but come up a bit smaller than hoped. I’ve also read of fragile 120tpi tyres. 60’s seem more robust, and heavier.
    Fat b nimble miss the plus size mark, coming up really small. More use as a quick summer tyre maybe.
    Chupas seem to be on the money for most things, probably the best regarded plus sizer but expensive. I believe triton have them slightly reduced.
    Some others available from trax, including the bulldozer which looks entertaining. Heavy though.
    Nothing apart from the DW is jumping out as being massively better in the mud though. I’ve heard of folks using some of the bigger regular tyres like 2.5 minions for muddier conditions which obviously loose some volume.

If you do fancy trying the fat b nimble, Ridgewell.it have a Chinese version very cheap at the moment.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

One option I’ve got to start is to try my existing Spesh Purgatory/Butcher but I’m not sure how a 2.3″ trye will go on a 50mm rim…

Sanny
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/review-surly-dirt-wizard-29-tyres/#comments

Just get the Dirt Wizards! Mine are still going strong after several months. And they are a lot less draggy than you would imagine. It’s winter, the trails are filthy, just buy the tyres that are made for the job and stop worrying! 😀

Clobber
    Free Member

Dirt Wizard on the front, Bomboloni on the back

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cheers guys. DW are looking best option for now then!

dovebiker

When my Knards wear out I’ll probably look at the Vittoria Bomboloni as it looks to be the best of the others – DW’s a bit too draggy for my liking.

Clobber
    Free Member

I’ll think it’ll be bomboloni both ends for me in the summer and just switch the front out for a dw when the slop is about.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for?….. (semi-fat content)’ is closed to new replies.