Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • what tyres for my hybrid in the winter?
  • renton
    Free Member

Just wondering what tyres you lot use in the winter months with ice etc on the floor.

I have a Boardman hybrid with slicks that I’m pretty sure won’t be very good in the winter.

Cheers

Steve

simondbarnes

If it’s icy then I use Schwalbe Marathon Winter.

mintsauce5
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from marathons to 700×35 cx comps for the winter probably keep them on all year round for a bit more cushioning on my hybrid team

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I used CX tyres on my commuter last winter (and this summer after I couldn’t be arsed swapping back):
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kenda-small-block-eight-dtc-cyclocross-tyre/rp-prod57803

Actually bought some ice spikes as well last year but then it didn’t snow…

danti

Schwalbe Marathon plus 700 x 28, a bit heavier due to extra thick layer of rubber but worth it for puncture protection and springy/cushioning effect.

Daffy

I switched from Gatorskins (lethal in the wet) to Vitoria Voyager Hyper. They’re as sticky as a sticky thing even in the wet, they’re light (380g for a 38c tyre) they have puncture protection and a fluorescent sidewall. They’re also quite cheap.

jonba
    Free Member

Schwalbe marathons year round. Bike tyres are too narrow and the speeds too low for most tread patterns to be any better than slicks on tarmac in the wet.

The marathons are bombproof which I like.

I bought some spike schwalbe tyres last year but never needed them as it wasn’t that icy.

If it snows I take a mountain bike as fat is better than spike on snow.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘what tyres for my hybrid in the winter?’ is closed to new replies.