• This topic has 39 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jeffl.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • What tyres for… GLASS
  • SaxonRider

My commute takes me straight through the university area, where the streets are paved with shards of glass from the night before, and as a result, I regularly suffer punctures, especially to my rear tyre.

I have a rotation of tubes at home, but all are now patched and – I think – less trustworthy for it.

Is there a 700mm tyre out there that can save me the grief of getting up every morning ready to ride to work, only to have to abandon the idea for the car?

Or can STW proffer another solution? Anyone else suffer the same problem?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Fill your tubes with Stan’s or similar.

Houns

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    g5604
    Free Member

schwalbe marathon plus + thicker inner tubes = no punctures in 5000 miles

scotroutes

Marathon Plus will deal with a surprising amount of glass.

Change your route.

tthew

Continental Sport Contacts deal with the cycle path through Blacon in Chester OK. Glass can be a bit of a problem there, particularly in the summer.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 glass punctures on my last 3 commutes! Each one was a different route as well. I’m going to check out the marathons.

toby1

Marathons and Marathons pluses are the sorts of tyres you fit and are amazed by.

I got my first puncture in the rear tyre approximately 2.5 years of commuting after it was fitted and in the tyres defence it was long overdue replacement.

I tend not to ride through roads of glass fragments, but for normal use they are simply excellent.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Marathon Pluses are truly excellent (if a pain to get on and off). I’ve never known anyone puncture one.

jonathan
    Free Member

I’ve pulled chunks of glass out of Ultra Gatorskins before with out any deflation – for another option.

rickmeister

Plus, if its an adopted street and the responsibility of the council, call them and report the glass…

soma_rich
    Free Member
    Tallpaul

How much better are Marathon Plus than Marathon Racers?

I have the Racers on my Commuter and have had punctures from flint embedded in the tread. Sadly, the cycle-way from home to work is awash with such stones.

Cheers,

Paul

munrobiker
    Free Member

The Pluses are noticeably more puncture resistant than the other Marathons. Weigh a lot more, though.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Durano Plus. Fast rolling, massive puncture protection.

tonyd

Marathon Supremes here, very good.

Edit: And half the weight of the Plus if that’s your thang.

ajt123
    Free Member

Had the same problem. Marathon plus. Nothing beats them.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Anyone else suffer the same problem?

yes new house = new commute.

pasela, marathon racer, durano, no good. marathon plus, are working for me so far (over a year)

ahwiles
    Free Member

my commute takes me through ‘the manor’, it looks like this:

(and that’s on a quiet night)

i’ve had no punctures in 3 years with a standard marathon on the front, and a ‘plus’ on the rear.

1-shed
    Free Member

+1 for flat away

didgerman
    Free Member

Marathon plus, for the silky smooth buckfast bottle paved streets of Glasgow, nothing comes close.

delibury

Marathon Supremes here too, not had puncture for over a year and I go past ‘the manor’ nearly every day.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Armadillos saw me through the bucky glass strewn streets of glasgow.

matts
    Free Member

Some people run Marathon Plus tubeless. That would probably deal with anything bar a nuclear strike.

TiRed

Marathon plus – never punctured one. I also rate Durano Plus if you actually want to go reasonably fast. Inner tubes filed with stans or tubeless.

TiRed

Marathon plus – never punctured one. I also rate Durano Plus if you actually want to go reasonably fast. Inner tubes filed with stans or tubeless.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

In my experience no tyre will protect you fully against glass punctures. Some will be more resistant than others but eventually the shards of glass will work their way in.

You can help yourself though. Every evening I turn my bike upsidedown and slowly rotate the tyres inspecting them for embedded shards of glass and dig them out with a pointed knife. I’m not saying I don’t get punctures any more but probably had about 2 or 3 last year doing around 4500 commuting miles.

StirlingCrispin

I’ve run Marathon Plus tyres for yonks (14 years plus?).

Only one puncture in that time – a 6″ nail that ripped off the mudguard and would have stopped a bus.

You have to keep them pumped up hard though – and not rely on the thumb test. Rubber perishes after a few years. They are a pain to fit, but then I also run a hub-gear and coaster brake to make a tyre change even faffier.

Wouldn’t run anything else on a commuter.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Surely specialized armadillo has to take this.

benw
    Free Member

Use a cheap tubular tyre as an innertube and put some sealant in it and use it in combination with the tyres recommended above.Robert Millar used to do it apparently

kcr
    Free Member

Marathon Plus is the most bomb-proof tyre I’ve used in 20 years of commuting.
    I’m always a bit confused by the different variants, and interested in people’s experience of some of the other versions. My priority for commuting is reliability, but I would be interested in some of the lighter versions if there’s not too much of a trade off.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

+1 for Conti 4Seasons/Ultragators. That double vectran layer does the job. I live at the wrong end of Hackney so glass a plenty. Only punctures have been a snakebite and strip of sheet metal both on the canal…

scotroutes

4Seasons don’t even come close to a Marathon Plus.

tomd
    Free Member

Marathon plus for sure. The only tyre broken glass fears.

I had good results with a set of specialized commuting tyres also.

jamiemcf

Marathon plus. end of.

I used to live in Clovenstone in Edinburgh where the local sport of smashing anything glass is activly encouraged, The Conti Gatorskins i used punctured tons (all within a 5m radius of the front gate) I reckon the Marathons could be ridden over a bed of nails.

neilwheel
    Free Member

The Marathons are good, I have had good results with Michelin Pilot Sport 26″ tyres. They are lighter with more grip and cheaper too. I think there are 700c versions in 28 and 35 flavours.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Marathon plus with green guard, never had a picture with them, make sure you have some good tyre levers though.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

+1 marathon plus. The only puncture I’ve had with them was a nail. They are heavy but bombproof – ideal for winter.

I use sport contacts in summer when I can generally see the glass coming, but the puncture resistance is futile in comparison – I regularly get punctures with them.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I tried stans in tubes and when I hit some glass, 85 psi of escaping howling air made a Catherine wheel of sealant, which covered me, the bike, the path and anything within a 15 yrd distance until it was flat. Then I had sealant pooled in the tyre and was a right mess. Bought some schwalbe belted tyres with normal tubes and will accept punctures, although commuted for 7 years with one puncture, but the retards smashing glass has caused 5 punctures this month so far, 2 new tyres and 2 new tubes. Tossers……

jeffl

Uncanny. Just started cycling into Sheffield. I’ve had 3 punctures in 6 days so this lunch time I’ve ordered some marathon plus tyres.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for… GLASS’ is closed to new replies.